LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Brother, Big Brother: sus2 and 6/9 chords  (Read 3309 times)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Little Brother, Big Brother: sus2 and 6/9 chords
« on: June 25, 2003, 01:08:58 PM »
Try this:

Instead of playing a regular major chord, for instance:

CEbAb (Abmajor)

try

BbEbAb (Absus2 or Ab2)

or it's big brother the 6/9 chord

FBbEb or CFBb (both of these are Ab6/9 chords one goes off the fifth the other goes off the third)

I use sus2 and 6/9 chords all the time. They're grrrrrreat! However, like everything, don't overuse them, balance is important. Here's some examples of how I use them:

Piano:

Ab\BbEbAb (Absus2)
AbEb\CFBb (Ab 6/9)
AbGb\CFBb* (Ab13 not the same as Abm13 or Abmaj13) Be careful with this one, it's dominant.
CEb\Bb (Absus2) Use this one in between chords, within a progression.
Eb\BbF (Ab 6/9)

Basically, if you notice, you can move the notes around anyway you want. Just make sure that the 6 and 9 are in there and that you're playing either the third or fifth, for the 6/9 chord, and that the 2 is somewhere, if you're playing a sus2 chord. However, if you add the b7 (dominant seventh) all the keys change name, 6 becoming 13, 2 becoming 9, 4 becoming 11. The only ones that really stay the same are the 1st, the 3rd and the 5th.

One thing to remember when naming your chords is, and this can cause a lot of confusion, Ab7, or any chord with just the number next to it--if the number is greater than or equal to 7, implies that a b7 is added, since this is normally used to denote dominant chords.

Ab9 = AbCEbGbBb
Abmaj9 = AbCEbGBb
Abm9 = AbBEbGbBb
Abminmaj9 = AbBEbABb

*I just went off topic, but maybe that's what this lesson really needed to be about.

Hope this helps

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 06:03:14 PM »
Also note, if you haven't seen the relationship already, that the sus2, 6/9 and 13th chords (dominant, major, and minor) are all related, and sometimes interchangable. I'll post more ion this topic later.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: Little Brother, Big Brother: sus2 and 6/9 chords
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 07:20:31 PM »
Thanks for the tip!!

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 06:36:38 AM »
Quote from: B3Wannabe
One thing to remember when naming your chords is, and this is can cause a lot of confusion, Ab7, or any chord with just the number next to it--if the number is greater than or equal to 7, implies that a b7 is added, since this is normally used to denote dominant chords.

Ab9 = AbCEbGbBb
Abmaj9 = AbCEbABb
Abm9 = AbBEbGbBb
Abminmaj9 = AbBEbABb

God Bless you for your giving spirit.  In the above mentioned sequence of chords, I want to make a clarification (lest the already confused become more confused)

Ab9 = Ab C Eb Gb Bb (that is correct)

Abmaj9 = Ab C Eb G Bb  (G, not A.  A would be a b9th (flat 9th) G is the maj7 portion of it, and Bb is the 9th.

Abm9 = Ab B Eb Gb Bb (that is correct)

Abm(maj9) = Ab B Eb G Bb (the maj7 is G, and Bb is the 9th).  

Be Blessed!
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 06:49:38 AM »
Eww! Thanks for catching that. I just fixed it.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 05:47:03 PM »
Also note, if you haven't seen the relationship already, that the sus2, 6/9 and 13th chords (dominant, major, and minor) are all related, and sometimes interchangable. I'll post more ion this topic later.

So B3, did U post  ;D (ha..you thought what you said 5 years ago would not catch up with you hey ;D :D)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up