LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tarrying For the Holy Ghost  (Read 9763 times)

Offline b2goods

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Tarrying For the Holy Ghost
« on: April 24, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
Let me first start by saying, I am not looking for comments from people that want to debate wether or not if one should or should not Tarry.  I'm not in the business for arguing over the method of the way one receives the Holy Ghost, I feel that our main focus should be that they receive the true Gift of the Holy Ghost and not a familiar spirit.

With that out of the way, my question, how many of you have received the Holy Ghost this way and does your church still tarry?

Offline Loopy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.myspace.com/mr_engram

Re: Tarrying For the Holy Ghost
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »
Of course growing up in the "sanctified" church, we grew up on tarrying. We would have "tarry service" every Friday night, so I know all about tarrying, and the mothers would make us stay there at the altar until we were about ready to pass out!! :D My current church does not tarry. Not necessarily because we don't believe in it per se, but people need to be taught the Word and really understand what it is they are seeking.
Romans 1:16

Offline b2goods

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »
Of course growing up in the "sanctified" church, we grew up on tarrying. We would have "tarry service" every Friday night, so I know all about tarrying, and the mothers would make us stay there at the altar until we were about ready to pass out!! :D My current church does not tarry. Not necessarily because we don't believe in it per se, but people need to be taught the Word and really understand what it is they are seeking.

I understand what you are saying.  I grew up in a church that tarried for the Holy Ghost and still does.  This is the way that I received the Holy Ghost.  We know that on the day of pentecost, that the Holy Ghost came in it's fullness.  We believe in praising the Lord throught the Hallelujah's, (some call on Jesus)  until he fills the individual with the Holy Ghost.

It is a wonderful and experience and I was wanting to see how many others have had that same experiens as of receiving the Holy Ghost this way.

Offline acts2-38

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Bad!! Just like I was

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 05:21:39 PM »
We sometimes still have tarrying service and have had it since like, the late 80's. The only thing that I can say has changed is the fact that no one is pressured to tarry(particularly young folks like me, whose parents made them tarry). Now it is just explained to the young folks and they have to make the decision to tarry. It kinda defeats the purpose of tarrying if a person isnt ready to fully give their life to God.

However, people at my church tarry when the spirit moves. For example, a young lady got the holy ghost during testimony service.  The spirit was moving and all the shouting music was playing. We noticed her rocking back and forth in her seat, crying. Then, some of the older sisters of the church got around her and had her start tarrying and before you knew it, she was speaking. So, if you are ever in service and the spirit hits you, you can start tarrying in your seat and you just might speak.....But remember to use wisdom when in service. ;)
Give a man chords to a song, you help him for a day. Teach him theory and you help forever!!!

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »
I grew up going to tarry services as well, but when I was seeking for the Holy Ghost in my early twenties, it was quickly becoming a thing of the past.  I thank God for my Bishop's wife who saw some of us seeking for the baptism of the Holy Ghost and began to have tarry services with us. I actually wasn't in a tarry service when I received the Holy Ghost, though.

Offline bishop2

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »
It was a monday nite, and I was tarrying at the alter, and the Lord filled me, and I began to speak... I know that he is real.  You gotta praise him while you wait....

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 10:48:35 PM »
We just had tarryin service this pass Sunday. I got the Holy Ghost this way. I enjoy it..and it works. Nothing is wrong with it..people tarried in the bible.

MsNixon

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 11:46:47 PM »
Can someone explain what tarry service is?  Below are definitions for tarry.  I don't understand what it means to tarry at the altar.  Do you just stay up there until you speak in tongues?  Does this work?

3 entries found for tarry.
tar·ry1    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (tr)
v. tar·ried, tar·ry·ing, tar·ries
v. intr.
To delay or be late in going, coming, or doing. See Synonyms at stay1.
To wait.
To remain or stay temporarily, as in a place; sojourn.

v. tr. Archaic
To wait for; await.

n.
A temporary stay; a sojourn.

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 01:38:20 AM »
Can someone explain what tarry service is?  Below are definitions for tarry.  I don't understand what it means to tarry at the altar.  Do you just stay up there until you speak in tongues?  Does this work?

To wait.
To remain or stay temporarily, as in a place; sojourn.

The reason for tarrying often is for the individual to get to a state of true repentance. The Bible says to repent and be ye baptised and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. When one tarries, it is to come Godly sorry for things that maybe we haven't given up such as smoking, drinking, etc. So in that sense, the definitions are correct. We are waiting on God to give us the stamp of approval that we have maintained that good conscience toward God. It is a temporary state from just being saved meaning not guilty of sin through repentance to being filled with the Holy Ghost which gives us the power to refrain from sin.
I hope this kinda helps you understand a little or at least makes you think more. God Bless
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline Vangelist

• LGM Member
  • No Joy, No Strength *II Timothy 4*

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 01:53:58 AM »
Oh yeah, to answer the topic question. I tarried and my church still does. We don't have tarrying service persay, but when we meet for prayer that is when go before God. I do believe it works and is sometimes necessary (read my post above). I received the Holy Ghost in my dorm room while praying. I had finally made up my mind that I was going to give up everything for God and to God. And just as sure as my name is what it is, He filled me.
I won't take nothing for my journey now. No turnin' back, no turnin' back.

Offline jomo7

• LGM Member
  • JOE SANDERS

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 07:51:15 AM »
well ofcourse Being brought up in the GRAND OLD COGIC we had tarrying service. That how i received it and i belieive that is the way to do it  Know one should teach you how to speak in tounges.
I do it all for his glory

Offline favour_ov_God

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 09:35:36 AM »
That's how i received the holyghost and wouldn't trade it for no other way. My church does this all the time
keep the faith, stay in place, and God will make a way

Offline nessalynn77

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Inspirational Contemplation

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 09:45:44 AM »
The reason for tarrying often is for the individual to get to a state of true repentance. The Bible says to repent and be ye baptised and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. When one tarries, it is to come Godly sorry for things that maybe we haven't given up such as smoking, drinking, etc. So in that sense, the definitions are correct. We are waiting on God to give us the stamp of approval that we have maintained that good conscience toward God. It is a temporary state from just being saved meaning not guilty of sin through repentance to being filled with the Holy Ghost which gives us the power to refrain from sin.
I hope this kinda helps you understand a little or at least makes you think more. God Bless
And to add to what Vangelist said, the word tarry I think comes from when Jesus instructed the disciples to go to the upper room and wait for the baptism of the Holy Ghost.  It's kind of a waiting period, because until you receive the Holy Ghost you are not fully equipped to go out and do the work of the ministry.

Offline lilmanofgod

• LGM Member
  • I love my dad soo much....
    • SuitBoy

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 02:26:19 PM »
 Ithink its important to wait on god period...i know some churches where the holy ghost will start movin but becuz they have a program they just keep goin and grieve the spirit....our 8 am servie that supposed to end at 10:15 ended an hour late! Because we allowed the holy ghost to move.. tarrying to me simply means allowingthe holy ghost to move....alot of churches stick to programs and u notice those churches dont experience anything bcause they dont allow God to be God....just my thoughts..love yall..
CREATE IN ME A CLEAN HEART, RENEW WITH IN ME THE RIGHT SPIRIT...MAKE ME OVER LORD

Offline bigtexas210

• LGM Member
  • if u pay your musicans they will b on time

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 03:16:48 PM »
GOD give us free will  if u not ready r u really dont want to b saved i dont care how long u tarry and how long u stay at the alter u not gonna get the fullness u might feel something but being saved is more then a feeling that y i dont bleave and maken kids tarry for the holy ghost first off they really dont know what they tarrying for and they just doing it cuz u said so i dont konw about u but when i was ready and i was sick of my mess and i wanted GOD to change me it didnt take all day if your heart is open he gonna come right in if it ant he ant gonna force it on u i think it cool to tarry with some one that dont know what to say r do and want to b saved thats coolbut some poeple just b tripping they b like stand on one leg and say thank u JESUS waile jumpeing 3 times it dont take all that but this is just my opinion

i make it do what it do

Offline RONNIEJR99

• LGM Member
  • The beginning of something great.....

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 03:02:01 AM »
It was a monday nite, and I was tarrying at the alter, and the Lord filled me, and I began to speak... I know that he is real.  You gotta praise him while you wait....

BISHOP I WAS FILLED ON A MONDAY NIGHT AT THE ALTAR ALSO. WHEN I TARRIED, MY TARRYING WAS NOT JUST AT THE ALTAR. I BELIEVE WHEN YOU'RE WAITIN FOR SOMETHING OR SOMEONE THEN YOU MUST ALSO PREPARE FOR IT/THEM ALSO. WELL I FASTED,PRAYED,AND CRIED MANY DAYS B/C I WANTED TO BE FILLED AND THEN I RECIEVED HIM.
Let me first start by saying, I am not looking for comments from people that want to debate wether or not if one should or should not Tarry.  I'm not in the business for arguing over the method of the way one receives the Holy Ghost, I feel that our main focus should be that they receive the true Gift of the Holy Ghost and not a familiar spirit.

With that out of the way, my question, how many of you have received the Holy Ghost this way and does your church still tarry?

I DON'T LIKE DEBATES OF GOD'S WORD EITHER AND YES MY CHURCH STILL TARRY BUT NOT LIKE THEY USE TO WHEN THEY STAYED ON US "YOUNG FOLKS" TO BE FILLED. I WISH WE (ALL CHURCHES) STILL TARRIED AND PRAISE GOD LIKE WE USE TO BEFORE WE GOT SPOILED. WE WERE SO COMMITTED THEN :)
FOR ME AND MY HOUSE, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD.

Offline baggettcindy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2006, 07:38:52 AM »
I think it depends on the person.  The churches I grew up in tarried, but not always.  Some folks received the Holy Ghost in a second or two...or in their seats...or after or before getting baptized while in the baptism pool.  I was one to always wish I was knocked out with it....but that wasn't and has never been the case.  Maybe some saints wanted it more than others or went to the altar already expecting and waiting to receive.  Others may sometimes go to the altar, but not have faith, not fully be repentent, etc.  I wouldn't say tarrying is mandatory, but I've seen too many people receive the HolyGhost by tarrying/working with altar workers to say anything negative about it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up