LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Explaining Progressions Part 3  (Read 18954 times)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Explaining Progressions Part 3
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:30:18 PM »

O.K., so far we have learned about how to anticipate what chord will come next and what possible chords can be built of each of the scale degrees 1-7.  Have you ever thought about what chords to play on the scale degrees that lie in-between the scale degrees 1-7?  Well, that's what this post is going to be about.   Some people may call these filler chords, or passing chords, or whatever other name there is.  I'm going to call them tweeners.

Just in case you are lost already, I'll explain what in-between scale degrees I'm talking aobut.  Now, in the major scale, once you have your starting note, you move 1 step to get the next note, right?  Well, moving 1 step also means moving two 1/2 steps.  Example: 

C  (WS)  D   
or   
C (HS) C# (HS)  D

We already know what chords we can play for the C and D notes, but what about that C# note?  It doesn't lie in the major scale, but it is still technically a scale degree.  And since it is a scale degree, that means we can build a chord off it.  Are yall wit me now?  So, anytime you move 1 step to get your next note, you have this note in-between that gets skipped, but it is still a scale degree.  So, now I'm going to give you some chords that I use when these scale degrees are played in the bass:

*Note: these scale degrees will be notated using sharps and flats because different keys will use different accidentals.  That menas that a note may be a #_ in one key, but it may be a b_ in another key.  Also, it will be assumed that you have already learned what chords are built off the regular scale degrees.

#1 / b2 in the bass

This scale degree is located 1/2 step above 1 and/or 1/2 step below 2.  Here are some chords that I have found that go good with this bass note:

C# / A-C#-E (#1) *altered 6 chord in RH (C has been raised 1/2 step forming a major chord, chord is an A major)

C# / C#-E-G-Bb (#1) *altered dom. 7th chord built off 1in RH (C has been raised 1/2 step forming a fully diminished 7th chord, chord is a C#dim7)
Db / Db-E-G-Bb (b2) *same chord as above

#2 / b3 in the bass

This scale degree is located 1/2 step above 2 and/or 1/2 step below 3.  Here are some chords that I have found that go good with this bass note:

Eb / G-C#-F-A (b3) *altered 4 chord in RH (this is an augmented 4 chord with an added 9th, together the chord is an F9 (#5))

D# / D#-F#-A-C (#2) *altered dom. 7th chord built off 2 in RH (D has been raised 1/2 step forming a fully diminished 7th chord, chord is a D#dim7)
Eb / Eb-Gb-A-C (b3) *same chord as above

#4 / b5 in the bass

This scale degree is located 1/2 step above 4 and/or 1/2 step below 5.  Here are some chords that I have found that go good with this bass note:

F# / D-F#-A (#4) *altered 2 chord in RH (F has been raised 1/2 step forming a major chord, chord is an D major)

F# / F#-A-C-Eb  (#4) *altered dom. 7th chord built on 4 in RH (F has been raised 1/2 step forming a fully diminished 7th chord, chord is a F#dim7)
Gb / Gb-A-C-Eb (b5) *same as chord above

#5 / b6 in the bass

This scale degree is located 1/2 step above 5 and/or 1/2 step below 6.  Here are some chords that I have found that go good with this bass note:

G# / E-G#-B (#5) *altered 6 chord in RH (the G has been raised 1/2 step forming a major chord, chord is an E major)

G# / B-D#-F# (#5) *altered 7 chord in RH (D and F have been raised 1/2 step forming a major chord, together chord is a G#m7)

G# / G#-B-D-F (#5) *altered dom. 7th chord built on 5 in RH (the G has been raised 1/2 step forming a fully diminished 7th chord, chord is a G#dim7)
Ab / Ab-B-D-F (b6) *same as chord above

Ab / Ab-C-Eb (b6) *altered 6 chord in RH (everthing has been lowered 1/2 step forming a major chord, chord is an Ab major)

#6 / b7 in the bass

This scale degree is located 1/2 step above 6 and/or 1/2 step below 7.  Here are some chords that I have found that go good with this bass note:

Bb / Bb-D-F (b7) *altered 7 chord (the B has been lowered 1/2 step  forming a major chord, chord is a B major)

Bb / C-E-G (b7)  * altered 1 chord (m7th has been added and is played in the bass, together chord is a C7/Bb or C dominant 7th w/Bb in the bass)

Alrighty then, go through this carefully and pay attention.  Let your ears be the judge of when and how to use these.  If anyone wants to add on to this list, feel free to do so.  If anyone has any questions about this, just ask me and I will do my best to answer it for you.

Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Re: Explaining Progressions Part 3
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:57:43 PM »
Awesome, just awesome.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:37:55 PM »
Thanks once again "T-Block"...... :D   ;D   :D

PianoWiz...

Offline Delice

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 07:56:40 PM »
Sooo Nice,Yep Nice.  Good 2 go

Thanx

Offline Gibby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Dad...i'm ready for the world!

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:23 PM »
This is great T-Block!  Keep it up!!

Offline saintjames

• LGM Member
  • The secret of your future is in your daily routine

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 05:03:37 AM »
Uncle T-block u've been such a tremendous blesssing. I believe every beginner and intermediate player owe u a mouthful of thanks!!!!
May God bless and increase u on every side for ur unselfish acts. I want you to know that u already have students spread abroads; even in nigeria. I am this site's buddy because of you. Thanks a million!!!!!!!
the path of the just is like a shining light; shining brighter and brighter unto the perfect day.

Offline Ladymusic88

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 10:35:36 PM »
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU Bro. T-Block!  Thank you for being such a blessing and for pouring into our lives! 

Be Blessed!
Ladymusic88

Offline Cherri

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Imperial Majesty! $200,000...

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 09:08:52 AM »
Thank you.
What can I $ay Juanita Bynum is my cicerone.

Offline funkyfingaz

• LGM Member
  • Jay-R of Kingdom Revolution
    • My Myspace page

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 08:56:59 AM »
On Behalf of all the musicians on here that read this and left no comment, jus want to say we appreciate all this knowledge your pouring out for all us struggling musicians!  :D  :o Glory be to God for U..Keep it coming
There's a Kingdom Revolution...Hear to Worship!

Offline mlnways2love

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
I just wanted to say, "Thank you T-Block."  Chord Progressions is a topic that I have questions about for a very long time, and I have not been able to get any understandable answers from anyone about them.

Many Thanks and may God continue to bless you!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:56:41 PM »
Welcome To LGM,  mlnways2love
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

praisingGodthroughmusic

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 09:23:14 PM »
Thank you Bro. T-Block for those progressions...this should really help in my playing for God...well that and prayer. Be Blessed.

Offline glorydweller

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 10:44:34 AM »
Hi everyone. T-block,I'm new to this site, but I've had a couple of days to look at the wealth of great info you've posted. Thank you so much!!!

Offline PianoWizard

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • 費思是能力到不恐慌

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 05:25:41 PM »
Welcome to the LGM Family "glorydweller"....Be Blessed.

PianoWiz...

Offline L. A.

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 03:33:00 PM »
first i really want to thank u for all u give to us want to be's you have been and continue to be a blessing to many i just want to know concerning progressions there there anyway you can give some example from different forms of gospel songs (ex. devotional, worship,)  how it all works I don't know how to put it together thanks

Offline NJDBalla

• LGM Member
  • Aspiring to be better
    • Word Of Faith Apostolic Church

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 04:21:14 PM »

Some people may call these filler chords, or passing chords, or whatever other name there is.  I'm going to call them tweeners.
Wow thats the first i heard that... ;D

But seriously, I don't know if I could put into words(let alone one sentence ;)) what you have done for this site and my music ministry. I've learned pretty much all I know on "theory" from your many many posts...

Thx a Million,
                                  NJD
Play what you KNOW is right; not what you THINK is right
BTW Go to http://www.wordoffaithmnc.com

Offline henri henrie

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 03:37:36 AM »
thanks very much, am learning alot!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up