LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD review hear and play wheat works gospel chops  (Read 4894 times)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Players Govern Players Spectators Form Opinions

DVD review hear and play wheat works gospel chops
« on: December 15, 2006, 04:50:12 PM »
i just purchased the new hear and play organ dvd
350 and 450

the Eddie howard dvd by wheat works

and the gospel chops Dvd -for organ

--------------------------------

i will rate them on a scale from 1-5 1 being lousy dont waste your money
2 ojk some useful information but could save your money by going to your church with a tape recorder and recordign some other cat (not good explanations)
3 fair amount of good licks and progressions and useful information
4 good bet should add to your library
5 what are you waiting for buy this thing

Eddie Howard

for what this DVD is aiming at real church playing this is one of the best Wheat works profects out there

the organ is midied up so you can see the chords light up over head there is a small screen so you can see his feet on the pedals at the same time as the two manuals

the performances are down right incredible

I dont think this is a beginners dvd at all
you hae to really have a good ear i think to get some of the stuff off of this tape
and you need to have a lot of patience because eddie howard uses a lot of high level precision techniques that will take time to master but i think if are an advanced beginner i would say jump on this if you are intermediate i would say jump on this

if you are advanced i would say add this to your library you wont be disappointed

this is reall cogic organ playing at its best very churchy
i improved my sound overnight just by the drawbar setting advice.

the 2-5-1 are beautiful and the style of playing eddie uses is really tight

if you can get just 1/4 of what he is laying out you will be way ahead of your game

overall 4
perfoirmance   5
ease of understanding material     3 1/2
explanations   3
song choices covering all necessary areas of church service   5

hear and play 350

this is a great prasie dvd jermaine takes his approach on the 202 gospel keys and applies it to the organ
the organist is really tight and in his element with this style of music and offers some pretty slick moves

a defnite 5

organ 450
i am undecided how i will rate this dvd
i like the approach but it is very slow going especially since the chords are so much bigger requiring two hands I would have liked to see some striped down voicings for beginners
but like jermaine said this is not a beginner dvd
i have been processing this dvd for a couple of days now and there is a lot on it

my only issue is that some of the chord choices that the brother uses for songs sound a little out there and i am not sure my chuch would appreciate this style
it is very contemporary and if that is what you are looking for then i would say pick this up

overall rating a 4

gospel chops

i would give this video a 3
only because the the style is not very versatile
dont get me wrong i am glad i bought it and i will get a lot out of it but if i only had one dvd i would not want it to be this one

the song choices are ok but the way he goes about playing them i think some congregations would get lost
but if you take what he is offering and tone it down to fit your service then you should be fine
definitely i would say look at this dvd if you have others

look at it if you really want to be more contemporary in your playing
and want some new ideas

pass on it if you want to play traditional
pass on it if you only have money to buy one dvd this year

if you are advanced i would pass on it
if you are a intermediate or beginnner this chould and should help
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

Re: DVD review hear and play wheat works gospel chops
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 09:53:25 AM »
Bro. diverse isn't GospelKeys 450 the worship organ dvd?
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Offline sybesq

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Christian Romance/Pulsating Suspense

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 11:25:40 AM »
Thanks, diverse379, for these reviews. They're very helpful...  And, thanks for your response to my post as well.  God bless.  ;D
Sybil Bates McCormack, Lawyer/Writer/Minister's Wife/Mom
http://sybilbatesmccormack.wordpress.com

Offline jerrell

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 12:14:55 PM »
what would you recommend for a begginner to learn than what he alreadt knows

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:03 PM »
Bro. diverse isn't GospelKeys 450 the worship organ dvd?
yes it is but dont sleep because it is slow this aint a beginners dvd
To be or not to be that is the question you anwer when you pray practice and read your word

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 10:34:45 PM »
what would you recommend for a begginner to learn than what he alreadt knows
i will tell you the truth as far as DVd's go and depending on how much of a beginner you are 'i would say check out jermaines grieegs first video for hymns then step up to the praise and the worship 202

for gospel organ it is hard to say i have yet to see a real beginners dvd
i understand there is one you can find on gospel keyboard .com

but if you check out jermaine he has a real good way of breaking stuff down

remember though dvd's will give you the information but just knowing it is not enough you have to make it a part of you that means practicing the stuff for hours and hours
if you put 100 hours practicing what you see on any dvd i would say you have put in enough to master the material or at least to internalize it

TheVeteran

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
for gospel organ it is hard to say i have yet to see a real beginners dvd
i understand there is one you can find on gospel keyboard .com

I believe diverse379 is referring to "The Real Deal: How to play the Hammond B3"

I have it.  It's actually the very first Organ DVD I bought.

It's not a great video, but it's not poor either.

Using Diverse379's rating system, I'd give it a 3.

I'm getting more out of it now because I'm not depending on the two songs that they chorded out (they literally went chord by chord and spelled them out on screen).

Instead I'm ripping the CHORDS that they used and applying them to my own playing.

The two guys instructing on the DVD can PLAY!  But neither of them is great at explaining what they're doing.

Good preaching chord section.  Good shout music section.  A few sweet runs.  Again, they spelled out every chord on screen, so I'd say it's beginner friendly.

I'd recommend it to a fellow beginner.

Offline PROSTR8

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 09:40:18 PM »
How would you rate the PJ MORGAN DVD?

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 11:43:42 PM »
How would you rate the PJ MORGAN DVD?

pj's Dvd is the joint

a definite 5
on all levels

once you finish his Dvd you will be ready to check out his chords and runs tapes

with just these three alone you should be on your way to processing a lot.

the problem with the so called organ DVD is that there is already the assumption that you know how to play piano and that you know how to play gospel songs ]
what you are learning now is how to set your right and left hand]

for me and many others i was learning piano and organ side by side and still really didnt know how to play piano that well before i started to explore organ

so organ dvd were showing more tricks and organ licks and moves
and i was still left not knowing how to play organ in church on the various songs
until jermaine came along

so the deal is this you must separate song structure and arrangement

from improvisation and chord voicings and progression analysis'\\

maybe i will come up with a different kind of rating

because honestly you can take some things from some piano dvds and apply them to organ

for example if you took jermaines hymn video which was keyboard based and then appliied the concepts from that dvd with the chords from 450 you would be slamming

if you took the chords from 202 and combined them with the left hand work from roger jeans dvd you would be slamming

so you see you have to know what it is you need and get the instructional tools that you need

roger jean focused on organ technique and brooklyn style

pj morgan shows organ technique and gospel styles

technique is important in applying information to the instrument without technique you will never rise to any great level

style is important so when you play a song you can deliver it and communicate it so people will understand and feel what it is you are doing

imagine playing in that great getting up morning hawain style (not )
exactly so the style tapes are great i think eddie howard and roger jean are the top style dvds on the market right now

for teaching  technique i would say roger jean is number one

for arrangement and song structure
jermaine grieggs has it hands down

if you just want to hear some beasts
Butch heyward
melvin crispell
john peters

eddie howard demonstrates cogic style  and organ technique
and some orchestration and arrangement

450 shows voicings  and arrangement  and a lot of progression analysis for the organ or organ harmony and song structure

350 is voicings arrangement and song structure and technique this is why 350 is a 5
pj morgan chords shows organ harmony and orchestration

all of jermaines dvds focus on song structure which is why they are indespensible tools for the beginner
he isnt just teaching you how to play a song but showing you how to play many songs

but when you need to dig further then jermaine you need voicings and orchestration and that is when you go to the beasts of the business
butch Heyward   3  doesent explain much but if your ear is good and you have batteries in you r remote you will get much from this project

pj morgan piano dvd  5  pj is just a really good teacher so i have to give this a 5 for thouroughness
cassandra oniel   4  i really like this project beautiful rendition of give thanks  i think sebaastian could have done more with opening up this ladies style but i think he tries to present the player the oppurtunity to present how they are comfortable   probalbly not the best approach because every player is not a teacher sebastian knows what people need he should lay out the lesson plan and hae the artist's follow it
but that is just my opinion i know he is going to read this  lol

john peters piano    5  very complex stuff not for the faint of heart better have chops before you tackle this dvd

now john also put out a piano video called the piano tool box
great concept filled with tricks and tips and licks stuff you can just drop into stuff you already know
sebastian should have taken this concept to the other artists he worked with because he was really on to something with this one
this i would have to give a 4 1/2
the stuff on this video was awesome and extremely useful
although some of it was pretty technically challenging never the less it was some stuff that just set it off

Melvin Crispell 3
i love Melvin's playing and i had him for a teacher so there is no disrespect on this rating
but i cant give more because the explanations were so poor
however again just like butch if you have a good ear and you can use a remote you can get a lot from this but you may have to freeze frame by frame to see exactly what notes are being played

jamal Hartwell  worship extreme 4  (the only reason i am giving this a four is because the theory is incorrect but the material is priceless you have to dig in but once you do you come out with gold)
even though they are piano dvd's once you understand how to apply the left hand from pj mogans dvd's you shouldnt have any problem\

Offline MMCOGICboy

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 10:01:16 AM »
Thank you Bro diverse379 this is a helpful review!!!
Always remember Psalms 33:3- Sing unto him a new song; play skillfully with a loud noise.

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:52 AM »
I am still digging into the 450 dvd and the more i dig the more i am getting out
it is still very slow going I am really only on the third tone

and i havent really memorized them all yet and some of the bigger voicings i cant play in every key yet

but i have started combinig them and these will definitely put you in the big boy category

with out a doubt

you get what you put in

also i am exploring pj morgans advanced chord video
this is a classic must have 5 for sure

TheVeteran

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 05:02:34 PM »
I am still digging into the 450 dvd and the more i dig the more i am getting out
it is still very slow going I am really only on the third tone

and i havent really memorized them all yet and some of the bigger voicings i cant play in every key yet

but i have started combinig them and these will definitely put you in the big boy category

with out a doubt

you get what you put in

also i am exploring pj morgans advanced chord video
this is a classic must have 5 for sure

Does 450 have alot of different chord movements and little tricks, or only chords?

Offline xavier williams

• LGM Member

Re: overwhemed begginer,
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 05:31:35 PM »
 I live in Atl GA. and I must say there a number of great  organist here, however in the past year I have not been able to find any of them that was willing to teach me to play. I have deciced to get prayed-up and teach myself. I recently  a purchase a hammond C3 with a lesile, I am praying for God's annoiting. Because I can't play alick, and of course my wife nor my family can't understand my  investment. I just smilpy say "please be patient with me God is not through with me yet".  however could you or someone give me something to get start with, it's  will help everybodys ears. 
Xavier Williams

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 06:10:15 PM »
I live in Atl GA. and I must say there a number of great  organist here, however in the past year I have not been able to find any of them that was willing to teach me to play. I have deciced to get prayed-up and teach myself. I recently  a purchase a hammond C3 with a lesile, I am praying for God's annoiting. Because I can't play alick, and of course my wife nor my family can't understand my  investment. I just smilpy say "please be patient with me God is not through with me yet".  however could you or someone give me something to get start with, it's  will help everybodys ears.

well you say you cant play a lick can you sing do you know your notes

john peters one of the great players said he started out just picking out melodies

an then added a note to the melody and so on and so on

just like i said in these posts you cant beat jermaine grieggs 101
get that and then keep looking on this site for resources'

i mean if you want a few chords then you can always search on this site for worship chords
and you will find some chorded out for you

but that is just spoon feediing you
jermaine will teach you how to grasp the stuff on your own

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 08:45:31 PM »
Does 450 have alot of different chord movements and little tricks, or only chords?

I have only really explored the first disc
it has a lot of chords about fifty or so not including the passing chords

then in the second disc they get into progressions

the boy is sick for real these are big boy chords and moves so get ready to get your wig split

when i get into disc 2 i will do a thorough review

TheVeteran

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 09:14:15 AM »

First, learn the notes.  

If I say hit a C, you have to be able to hit a C WITHOUT HESITATION.

There are only 12 notes, so this shouldn't take THAT long.

Second, learn the Major and Minor Scales.

There are literally HUNDREDS of scales, but for now, just the 12 Major and 12 Minor scales.

Purchase a book that will give you the correct fingerings.  This is a MUST.  Learn how to run each of those scales with your left hand, with your right hand and simultaneously.

Third, learn the Major and Minor triads and their inversions.

This will take some time.  If I say play a G minor chord, you must be able to play it WITHOUT HESITATION.  12 Major triads, 12 Minor triads, three different ways to play each, that maks 72 different positions (trust me, it's NOT that hard.).  Where it WILL get difficult is down the road when you learn extended and altered chords.  Diminished, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, Add6, Add9, Add6 Add9, b9b5, and on, and on.  Again, that's down the road.  One step at a time.

Fourth, learn the popular progressions.

Each scale has 7 unique tones.  Give each tone a number, with one being the first (root).

ex.

1=C
2=D
3=E
4=F
5=G
6=A
7=B

(After B it goes from C again.  That's why I said 7 UNIQUE tones)

This number system is used to communicate "Progressions".

What is a Progression?  A series of chords.  That's it.

BUT, there are certain Progressions that repeat themselves VERY OFTEN in music.

There are literally thousands of songs that use the same basic progressions.

Common ones: 1-4-5-1, 1-4-1-5-1, 1-3-6-2-5-1, 1-7-3-6-2-5-1, 1-7-6-5-1, etc., etc.

Practice these in every key.  I can get into the Circle of Fifths, but you don't really need to know ALL of that right now.  I don't want to overload you.   :D

Fifth, Learn Songs.

You'll start with simple songs.  Once you learn the things I detailed above, you'll have no problem tackling simple songs.   :)

Last but not least, ask LGMers.   :)  We're here to help.  I'm a beginner (trust me, even after you learn all that stuff you'll still be a beginner.  It's a long road.), and LGM has helped me ALOT.  Now it's your turn.  Congrats on stepping out on faith and beginning this long journey.

Don't let anyone discourage you.  Your wife my try to stop you from practicing, or even discourage you a little bit.  People may crack jokes at you and tell you that you're crazy. 

NO musician was BORN with chord theory and blazing runs.   :-\  We were ALL where you are right now.

Even the longest journey begins with just ONE STEP.  Welcome to the journey.   ;D

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 09:45:09 AM »
First, learn the notes.  

If I say hit a C, you have to be able to hit a C WITHOUT HESITATION.

There are only 12 notes, so this shouldn't take THAT long.

Second, learn the Major and Minor Scales.

There are literally HUNDREDS of scales, but for now, just the 12 Major and 12 Minor scales.

Purchase a book that will give you the correct fingerings.  This is a MUST.  Learn how to run each of those scales with your left hand, with your right hand and simultaneously.

Third, learn the Major and Minor triads and their inversions.

This will take some time.  If I say play a G minor chord, you must be able to play it WITHOUT HESITATION.  12 Major triads, 12 Minor triads, three different ways to play each, that maks 72 different positions (trust me, it's NOT that hard.).  Where it WILL get difficult is down the road when you learn extended and altered chords.  Diminished, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths, Add6, Add9, Add6 Add9, b9b5, and on, and on.  Again, that's down the road.  One step at a time.

Fourth, learn the popular progressions.

Each scale has 7 unique tones.  Give each tone a number, with one being the first (root).

ex.

1=C
2=D
3=E
4=F
5=G
6=A
7=B

(After B it goes from C again.  That's why I said 7 UNIQUE tones)

This number system is used to communicate "Progressions".

What is a Progression?  A series of chords.  That's it.

BUT, there are certain Progressions that repeat themselves VERY OFTEN in music.

There are literally thousands of songs that use the same basic progressions.

Common ones: 1-4-5-1, 1-4-1-5-1, 1-3-6-2-5-1, 1-7-3-6-2-5-1, 1-7-6-5-1, etc., etc.

Practice these in every key.  I can get into the Circle of Fifths, but you don't really need to know ALL of that right now.  I don't want to overload you.   :D

Fifth, Learn Songs.

You'll start with simple songs.  Once you learn the things I detailed above, you'll have no problem tackling simple songs.   :)

Last but not least, ask LGMers.   :)  We're here to help.  I'm a beginner (trust me, even after you learn all that stuff you'll still be a beginner.  It's a long road.), and LGM has helped me ALOT.  Now it's your turn.  Congrats on stepping out on faith and beginning this long journey.

Don't let anyone discourage you.  Your wife my try to stop you from practicing, or even discourage you a little bit.  People may crack jokes at you and tell you that you're crazy. 

NO musician was BORN with chord theory and blazing runs.   :-\  We were ALL where you are right now.

Even the longest journey begins with just ONE STEP.  Welcome to the journey.   ;D

wow we have a new excellent resource for the beginner Vereran you broke it down
It has been a long time that i spoke to the real newbie

i think i speak only to the advanced beginner intermediate
but every thing you said was so on point i should make it my business to teach in exactly that format with my new students

TheVeteran

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 10:08:16 AM »
wow we have a new excellent resource for the beginner Vereran you broke it down
It has been a long time that i spoke to the real newbie

i think i speak only to the advanced beginner intermediate
but every thing you said was so on point i should make it my business to teach in exactly that format with my new students

It's only fair.  I've learned quite a bit from you.

(you're the one who gave me the theory on walking basslines)

Offline diverse379

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 11:48:17 AM »
It's only fair.  I've learned quite a bit from you.

(you're the one who gave me the theory on walking basslines)

oh yeah that was a while ago i remember that post

well keep on helping the newbies because you get blessings in that
have good christmas

TheVeteran

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 11:49:08 AM »
You do the same.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up