LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Hymns..are they important????........... Oh yes they are!!!!  (Read 17130 times)

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member
  • Just Doin What I Luv 2do
    • http://www.myspace.com/linellandrewsonevoice

I've have the pleasure of being from the "Ole School" and able to play "New School".  I just want to admonish my fellow younger musicians, to learn hymns.  If you don't know any, search out an "Ole School" musician and get some instruction.  Hymns and anthems are apart of our culture.  It's just sad that many gifted young musicians just don't know our African-American, Gospel history.  Does anyone have a response to this important topic.
iplaytheorgan2
"In all thine ways acknowledge God, and He will direct your path."

Offline SoundofJoy

• LGM Member
  • Play it again Sam
    • Sam's Gospel Music Course

Re: Hymns..are they important????........... Oh yes they are!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »
I agree totally. That's why I devote much of my site to learning the hymns and spirituals. I've have found that you learn your chords better following a known standard melody than alot of these newer songs.

www.samsmuzikco.com
I love music, any kind of music.

Offline dcrosby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
I definitely understand where you are coming from. I have been exposed to the hymns and traditional gospel however as far as playing, I have a "new school" mentality. On top of that, I was never schooled by any "ole school" kats. Therefore I think it's safe to say that these young guys are getting away from the hymns and traditionals because they were not schooled about them. "They don't know what they don't know."  So who do we blame the young guys for getting away from the "ole school" or the older musicians for not taking the young guys under their wings. I am guilty of getting away, but I'm forcing myself to go back because I want to be able to reach every age group of my church congregation. Also I just want to be an all around musician who can do it all.
1. "How you live is how you play." Is your music worth listening to?
2. Satan was a musician too!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 09:52:35 PM »
Isn't this same post going on in the organ room? ?/?
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 11:16:22 PM »
Isn't this same post going on in the organ room? ?/?
Yes, I did post in the organ room. I thought the topic was good for all keyboard players.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 11:19:23 PM »
I agree totally. That's why I devote much of my site to learning the hymns and spirituals. I've have found that you learn your chords better following a known standard melody than alot of these newer songs.

www.samsmuzikco.com
That's a good thing that you are doing.  I'm definitely going to check out your site.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »
I definitely understand where you are coming from. I have been exposed to the hymns and traditional gospel however as far as playing, I have a "new school" mentality. On top of that, I was never schooled by any "ole school" kats. Therefore I think it's safe to say that these young guys are getting away from the hymns and traditionals because they were not schooled about them. "They don't know what they don't know."  So who do we blame the young guys for getting away from the "ole school" or the older musicians for not taking the young guys under their wings. I am guilty of getting away, but I'm forcing myself to go back because I want to be able to reach every age group of my church congregation. Also I just want to be an all around musician who can do it all.

I know what you're saying. It's kind of a rock in a hard place.  At least twice a month I host a Musicans Shed at my church.  I let the jam for a few hours, then I get on the organ and just start playing hymns.  I notice that the musicians are really drawn the that form of religious music and are very interested in it.  So yes you need to pass it on.  Yes, like you, I try to be an all-around musician.  I totally agree, we can't be stuck in a box, we are musicians.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 06:39:03 AM »
Honestly, I think hymns are only important if your church sings them.  If your church don't sing them, then there really isn't a dire need to learn them.

I'm not trying to downgrade the importance of them, I'm just saying that you should focus on trying to learn the stuff that your church sings #1.  Then, to be an all around musician, it's good to dabble in other styles.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
I truly understand what you're saying.  The church I attend now very rarely sing hymns; but I've been to too many concerts and services, where a singer gets up and sings a hymn, he or she could be young or old; and the musician is clueless and then embarassed.  Then another musician has to slide him, or her off.  I've had to do that many times.  A perfect example is, my group had to sing at anniversary of James Hall and Citadel.  A group got up and sang, "Jesus, There is Something About That Name".  A young man was on the organ fumbling with the song, even after they group told him the key.  James Hall moved him over so fast it was so embarassing.  I felt so bad for that young man.  Now mind you, before all that happened he was on the organ playing these hot chords and changes. 

I'm just saying we as musicians should never be caught out there like that.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 08:33:37 AM »
I truly understand what you're saying.  The church I attend now very rarely sing hymns; but I've been to too many concerts and services, where a singer gets up and sings a hymn, he or she could be young or old; and the musician is clueless and then embarassed.  Then another musician has to slide him, or her off.  I've had to do that many times.  A perfect example is, my group had to sing at anniversary of James Hall and Citadel.  A group got up and sang, "Jesus, There is Something About That Name".  A young man was on the organ fumbling with the song, even after they group told him the key.  James Hall moved him over so fast it was so embarassing.  I felt so bad for that young man.  Now mind you, before all that happened he was on the organ playing these hot chords and changes. 

I'm just saying we as musicians should never be caught out there like that.

If we're speaking in strictly a musical sense, then I agree completely. I agree, for the most part, in the other sense, as well, mind you. ;) For a musician to be able to play complex chords, but not be able to play simple chords makes NO sense at all. :-\
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 08:37:31 AM »
Amen!! my brother.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline THE WOLFMAN

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:41:10 AM »
I know what you're saying. It's kind of a rock in a hard place.  At least twice a month I host a Musicans Shed at my church.  I let the jam for a few hours, then I get on the organ and just start playing hymns.  I notice that the musicians are really drawn the that form of religious music and are very interested in it.  So yes you need to pass it on.  Yes, like you, I try to be an all-around musician.  I totally agree, we can't be stuck in a box, we are musicians.

Hey where's your shed? I've been tryin to find a shed in the NY area. (i MIGHT goto jersey....)

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 08:54:04 AM »
For a musician to be able to play complex chords, but not be able to play simple chords makes NO sense at all. :-\

Big CO-SIGN!!!

On a side note, I don't think a musician should feel bad if they can't play a particular song.  What they should feel embarrased about is trying to play when they know they can't.  If you know deep down u can't play a song, don't even get up there messing up.

I don't feel embarrased at all if I can't play a song being sung.  I'll happily slide off and let someone else take over.  But, I ain't gonna fumble through just because people yelling at me to play.  Sing acapella doggit!!! :D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 09:08:33 AM »
Big CO-SIGN!!!

On a side note, I don't think a musician should feel bad if they can't play a particular song.  What they should feel embarrased about is trying to play when they know they can't.  If you know deep down u can't play a song, don't even get up there messing up.

I don't feel embarrased at all if I can't play a song being sung.  I'll happily slide off and let someone else take over.  But, I ain't gonna fumble through just because people yelling at me to play.  Sing acapella doggit!!! :D

Some musicians aren't that mature, yet; unfortunately. :-\

Rjthakid

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 09:21:45 AM »

Some musicians aren't that mature, yet; unfortunately. :-\

For real.  Cats act like playing the instrument is their BIRTHRIGHT or something.   ::)

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2007, 09:23:12 AM »
For real.  Cats act like playing the instrument is their BIRTHRIGHT or something.   ::)

Truth; unfotunately, but truth nonetheless. :-\

Offline iplaytheorgan2

• LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2007, 09:38:08 AM »
Ya'll talkin some truth up-in-here.  The old saying is "Humble is the Way".

Our shed is held at Revival Temple Center of Deliverance, 81-85 16th Ave., Newark, NJ, tomorrow at 9pm-until.  You're more than welcome.
iplaytheorgan2

Offline dcrosby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
I don't know about yall but playing something I've never heard is a weak spot for me and it's something I'm trying to get better at. The only way that I see I can get better at this skill is if I'm thrown in the fire and actually try it on the spot. It doesn't help any musician if someone is in such a hurry to embarass another by shoving them off the keys.  That would be a great time to teach whether it's a hymn or something else. "Each one teach one." Everyone will benefit like that.

What is a shed? I've never heard it before and maybe it's something we need to start down here in VA.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
I don't know about yall but playing something I've never heard is a weak spot for me and it's something I'm trying to get better at. The only way that I see I can get better at this skill is if I'm thrown in the fire and actually try it on the spot. It doesn't help any musician if someone is in such a hurry to embarass another by shoving them off the keys.  That would be a great time to teach whether it's a hymn or something else. "Each one teach one." Everyone will benefit like that.

What is a shed? I've never heard it before and maybe it's something we need to start down here in VA.

So, are you saying that using a rehearsal would be a bad time to show someone a new song?  ?/? :-\

You have to be thrown in the fire?  ?/? :-\

Offline dcrosby

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »
No I'm talking in an actual service situation. If someone starts singing something that the musician doesn't know and is trying to figure out, instead of some other musician coming to boot them off, why not come to help and show them. In what other way will they learn and keep their dignity?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up