LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Build A Better Musical Vocabulary #1 - Be Aware of Chords  (Read 4864 times)

DaNatiMaestro

How to Build A Better Musical Vocabulary #1 - Be Aware of Chords
« on: February 14, 2008, 09:20:27 AM »
LONG POST WARNING: But trust me this will be beneficial not only to your playing but to the way you think about things!! This is a repost of a thread in the Jazz forum.. apparently some folks don't even go into the jazz forum which is a shame; there is some good stuff there.. :-)

I know it's been awhile but as much as I love LGM you have to actually go out and play and gig and stuff.  So I've been doing that getting some really good practical application and rehearsing EVERYDAY getting ready for concerts and stuff.

But I'm back so let's get to it... How to Build a Better Musical Vocabulary #1 - Be Aware of Chords by DaNatiMaestro; (You all know how I like to create my series of topics.. LOL.  It helps me because I don't have to try to write/explain everything at one time)

I recently re-heard an interview with Aaron Lindsey done by Jamal over at GospelKeyboard and he said something that I think is very profound!  "Playing is just like talking.  How you talk is probably how you play."  You're having a musical conversation with your listeners and other musicians that you're playing with through the music you play.

This makes sense of course.. you can relate your letters (A, B, C, D to X, Y, Z) to notes in music (C, D, E, etc..).  You can relate words (grouping of letters) to chords (grouping of notes).  You can relate sentences (logical grouping of words) to progressions (logical grouping of chords) [Note the word logical here, this is done on purpose because you can have folks say/play some really weird stuff that just doesn't make sense.. we've all heard that before.. LOL]. You can relate paragraphs (grouping of sentences) to intro, bridges, chorus, endings (grouping of progressions).  You can relate books (grouping of paragraphs) to whole songs (grouping of intros, bridges, choruses and endings).

With this in mind, I thought to myself "OK, if playing and talking is so similar can you then relate building your musical vocabulary in the same why that you'd build your normal vocabulary?"  Hmm.. I think this is a great question so I did some research and came across many websites that talked about how to build a better vocabulary.  Now of course they were talking about the your normal English vocabulary but I'd like to flip this to tie into how we'd build our musical vocabulary.

But before I do that I need to talk about what a musical vocabulary means.  To me this means the chords that makes up the building blocks to your playing.  Just like you use words to converse with others you'd use your chords to converse musically.  Some people speak very eloquently because they have a large vocabulary (or pool of words that they understand and can use at their discretion to convey ideas) well this is the same way in playing music.  Some people play very "eloquently" or advanced so to speak because they have a large musically vocabulary (or pool of chords that they understand and can use at their discretion to convey musical ideas)

With that out of the way let's get into the 1st thing you can do help build your musical vocabulary!

BE AWARE OF CHORDS

Lots of folks are amazed and sometimes discouraged by their playing because they play a song in a certain "simple" way and then another advance musician plays the same song but with crazy passing chords and deceptive cadences and can make it sound so lush and full.  Now those same amazed and sometimes discourged musicians will say hey "I listen to music all the time!" but unfortunately listen along may not be enough to help you learn new chords.  When you listen to music and/or try to learn a song (especially from songbooks) there's a strong urge to learn the music quickly and skip over unfamiliar harmonies or chords.  It obvious when a chord is totally unknown to you, but you have to be aware of chords that seem familiar to you but the precise harmony and flow within a progression you may not really know.  For example, you know a chord is a dominant 7th but you can't quite pick out all of the alterations or tones within the chord.

Instead of avoiding these chords, you have to take a closer look at them.  This is where learning from a songbook or leadsheet can be VERY beneficial because you have the chords right there above the staff.  (I know not all gospel music is chorded out in songbook or leadsheet format but a good majority of it is.  Plus you can find plenty of chords for songs on LGM and EarnestandRoline.com)

1. Try to understand the chords meaning from its context, basically in the flow of the progression and key of the song.  When you're reading books if you come across a word you don't know you highlight them then get your dictionary and look them up so that you can UNDERSTAND their meaning.  Same thing with chords!!

2. When you're playing out of songbooks or hymnals or using written chords and you come across chords you don't know. STOP playing assuming you're in your practice time. If you have a chord dictionary or know your chord theory well enough, look up/figure out the notes that make up the chord.  And WRITE DOWN what you learn about the chord ie, notes, interval between notes, the scale degree of the notes in the scale, the chord name, etc.  This will slow down your playing, but improved understanding of new chords will speed up your learning of other chords which will make your reading of music and playing easier.  You'll also be improving your ear and how it recognizes new harmonies and chords.

3. Make a daily practice of noting chords that interest you so that you can study those chords further.  You should note these chords whenever you are reading from a songbook, learning a song by ear, using chords from the internet or playing with others and they happen to you show you some new chords.  Write down these chords in a notebook so that you have something that you can review or look at whenever you want to review chords.

This is exactly what I do with the cool chord posts.  I take one chord and breakdown it's notes, the harmony and it's placement within a progression.  From this understanding I then take the chord and transpose it to every key so that I can use the chord accordingly.  Once I truly understand the chord, I can add it to my musical vocabulary and can use it whenever I need to.  I've added another tool for my toolbox.

Use my Cool Chord posts as an example of how to write out new chords that you come across!!

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Re: How to Build A Better Musical Vocabulary #1 - Be Aware of Chords
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:47 AM »
Alright now, that's what I'm talking about.  ;D  :D  ;D
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline Fenix

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »
You are SO correct. Whenever i got chords off a website or what not, i would actually sit down and write down the scale of the key up for about three octaves. THEN i would work out each chord. This really helped me a lot, especially when i started out using different bass notes with chords. I was able to expand my tonal language so to speak.

Also you are quite right. People should visit the jazz forum a lot more. I am talking to myself also. There are gems in that forum and i tend to notice that jazz focused musicians have a very wide range of msucial language.
The car, job, house wife/husband are not the reward, God is.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 11:52:25 AM »
MY commentary if this was the back of a book:

"A  seemingly intimidating thing to do, yet it catapults one's understanding & playing into new heights in record time in the long run!"

I particulary enjoying trying out new stuff in unfamiliar keys & transposing it into all the keys.
The amazing thing is that more often than not, I discover something new I can do in the keys I'm more familiar/ I love more. (E seemed to be my favorite today).

Your post has just confirmed that my "unconventional" way of practicing is actually the way to go 8)

Thanks DNat ;) ;) 8)
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...

Offline Big T.

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
LONG POST WARNING: But trust me this will be beneficial not only to your playing but to the way you think about things!! This is a repost of a thread in the Jazz forum.. apparently some folks don't even go into the jazz forum which is a shame; there is some good stuff there.. :-)

I know it's been awhile but as much as I love LGM you have to actually go out and play and gig and stuff.  So I've been doing that getting some really good practical application and rehearsing EVERYDAY getting ready for concerts and stuff.

But I'm back so let's get to it... How to Build a Better Musical Vocabulary #1 - Be Aware of Chords by DaNatiMaestro; (You all know how I like to create my series of topics.. LOL.  It helps me because I don't have to try to write/explain everything at one time)

I recently re-heard an interview with Aaron Lindsey done by Jamal over at GospelKeyboard and he said something that I think is very profound!  "Playing is just like talking.  How you talk is probably how you play."  You're having a musical conversation with your listeners and other musicians that you're playing with through the music you play.

This makes sense of course.. you can relate your letters (A, B, C, D to X, Y, Z) to notes in music (C, D, E, etc..).  You can relate words (grouping of letters) to chords (grouping of notes).  You can relate sentences (logical grouping of words) to progressions (logical grouping of chords) [Note the word logical here, this is done on purpose because you can have folks say/play some really weird stuff that just doesn't make sense.. we've all heard that before.. LOL]. You can relate paragraphs (grouping of sentences) to intro, bridges, chorus, endings (grouping of progressions).  You can relate books (grouping of paragraphs) to whole songs (grouping of intros, bridges, choruses and endings).

With this in mind, I thought to myself "OK, if playing and talking is so similar can you then relate building your musical vocabulary in the same why that you'd build your normal vocabulary?"  Hmm.. I think this is a great question so I did some research and came across many websites that talked about how to build a better vocabulary.  Now of course they were talking about the your normal English vocabulary but I'd like to flip this to tie into how we'd build our musical vocabulary.

But before I do that I need to talk about what a musical vocabulary means.  To me this means the chords that makes up the building blocks to your playing.  Just like you use words to converse with others you'd use your chords to converse musically.  Some people speak very eloquently because they have a large vocabulary (or pool of words that they understand and can use at their discretion to convey ideas) well this is the same way in playing music.  Some people play very "eloquently" or advanced so to speak because they have a large musically vocabulary (or pool of chords that they understand and can use at their discretion to convey musical ideas)

With that out of the way let's get into the 1st thing you can do help build your musical vocabulary!

BE AWARE OF CHORDS

Lots of folks are amazed and sometimes discouraged by their playing because they play a song in a certain "simple" way and then another advance musician plays the same song but with crazy passing chords and deceptive cadences and can make it sound so lush and full.  Now those same amazed and sometimes discourged musicians will say hey "I listen to music all the time!" but unfortunately listen along may not be enough to help you learn new chords.  When you listen to music and/or try to learn a song (especially from songbooks) there's a strong urge to learn the music quickly and skip over unfamiliar harmonies or chords.  It obvious when a chord is totally unknown to you, but you have to be aware of chords that seem familiar to you but the precise harmony and flow within a progression you may not really know.  For example, you know a chord is a dominant 7th but you can't quite pick out all of the alterations or tones within the chord.

Instead of avoiding these chords, you have to take a closer look at them.  This is where learning from a songbook or leadsheet can be VERY beneficial because you have the chords right there above the staff.  (I know not all gospel music is chorded out in songbook or leadsheet format but a good majority of it is.  Plus you can find plenty of chords for songs on LGM and EarnestandRoline.com)

1. Try to understand the chords meaning from its context, basically in the flow of the progression and key of the song.  When you're reading books if you come across a word you don't know you highlight them then get your dictionary and look them up so that you can UNDERSTAND their meaning.  Same thing with chords!!

2. When you're playing out of songbooks or hymnals or using written chords and you come across chords you don't know. STOP playing assuming you're in your practice time. If you have a chord dictionary or know your chord theory well enough, look up/figure out the notes that make up the chord.  And WRITE DOWN what you learn about the chord ie, notes, interval between notes, the scale degree of the notes in the scale, the chord name, etc.  This will slow down your playing, but improved understanding of new chords will speed up your learning of other chords which will make your reading of music and playing easier.  You'll also be improving your ear and how it recognizes new harmonies and chords.

3. Make a daily practice of noting chords that interest you so that you can study those chords further.  You should note these chords whenever you are reading from a songbook, learning a song by ear, using chords from the internet or playing with others and they happen to you show you some new chords.  Write down these chords in a notebook so that you have something that you can review or look at whenever you want to review chords.

This is exactly what I do with the cool chord posts.  I take one chord and breakdown it's notes, the harmony and it's placement within a progression.  From this understanding I then take the chord and transpose it to every key so that I can use the chord accordingly.  Once I truly understand the chord, I can add it to my musical vocabulary and can use it whenever I need to.  I've added another tool for my toolbox.

Use my Cool Chord posts as an example of how to write out new chords that you come across!!
You are on it!!! ;)
Go with God, cause He always goes with you.

Offline Deckstar

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 02:55:21 AM »
Thanks Man.

Offline Ladyn

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 11:48:31 AM »
This is great stuff! Maybe this should become a sticky?  I am printing this out and giving it to my other musicians at church! Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Offline DaNatiMaestro

• LGM Member
  • It's good to be BACK!!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 11:48:22 AM »
This is great stuff! Maybe this should become a sticky?  I am printing this out and giving it to my other musicians at church! Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Thanks to all who replied.  That information was definitely revelation from God.  I need to write part #2 to this article on Building a Better Musical Vocabulary!  One Day.. LOL
It's good to be BACK!!

Offline rspindy

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 03:01:32 PM »

I'm glad that you used the word "context".  So often people think of chords as discrete units with only one meaning.  But, just like words that can have more than one meaning or more than one sound (or more than one spelling for the same sound) as well as shades of meaning depending how they are used in a sentence, a chord too can have multiple meanings depending on the context (sometimes at the same time).

A "C major chord" in isolation has no meaning -- is it the tonic (I), is it the sub-dominant (IV) or a dominant (V)?  Is it "borrowed" temporarily from another key (V of V) or is it just there for color because it just happens to sound good.  That C chord has 12 different key contexts (24 if we consider major and minor separate) as well as numerous shades within a given key.  It's meaning can also change whether it is root position or in an inversion.

In language, if I were to say to pronounce "read" would you pronounce it like "reed" or like "red".  And how do you pronounce "ough"?  As in "rough", "through", or "though"?

And if I were to ask you to spell from the sound of "to/too/two" or "for/four/fore" would you know which one to spell without some context?

And consider the seemingly innocuous sentence (at least when written) "I'm going to the store." can be imbued with subtle meanings by how its said:

I'm going to the store.  (Does anyone need anything?)
I'm going to the store.  (You aren't)
I'm going to the store.  (Don't try to stop me)
I'm going to the store.  (not to the library)

I could even turn it into the very simplified form -- "I go store."  and it would still be understood.

In music, chords are a part of our vocabulary.  They make up the dictionary.  We learn how to spell them.  But, just learning how to build chords is a little like reading the dictionary and considering that one has actually read all of the books in the English Language.

Harmony is about how chords work and are used in different contexts.  It is a part of the grammar of music.

First, there are the progression patterns.  These are like the language phrase books.  They are often used basic patterns to allow you to find the bathroom, or a restaurant.  As children, we learn and internalize these basic patterns so that we can speak off the top of our heads without having to figure out how to form every sentence.

But, as we develop in our ability to use language, we learn how to modify those patterns and how to use our vocabulary in new ways and even to play with words.

The same with music.  Once we have certain progression patterns down, we start using them and trying different combinations.  We discover that we can add or remove chords from the pattern, or even reverse them.  We discover that the affect changes depending on how long the chord is sounded (harmonic rhythm).  We discover that some of the chords in the harmony are decoration which, while enhancing or heightening the meaning, doesn't substantially alter the meaning.  We discover that with our chord "words" we can add subtle shades of meaning to them by adding 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths and/or chromatically alter a note or two.  We can even learn to make the equivalent of musical puns and musical satire -- just listen to P.D.Q. Bach.

One of my favorites is in Beethoven's 5th piano concerto ("Emperor").  There is the transition from the 2nd to the third movement where it sounds like the orchestra has lost their place and the conductor has left the podium.  He keeps this up long enough for the listener to wonder what has happened and then breaks into the rousing finale.  It takes an exceptional orchestra to actually pull it off.

Anyway, thanx again for talking about context.  I think that it is important for musicians (particularly earlier level musicians) to begin to understand this.

Offline musallio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Merry Christmas to you :-)
    • Hear & Play page

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 02:25:18 AM »
I'm glad that you used the word "context".  So often people think of chords as discrete units with only one meaning.  But, just like words that can have more than one meaning or more than one sound (or more than one spelling for the same sound) as well as shades of meaning depending how they are used in a sentence, a chord too can have multiple meanings depending on the context (sometimes at the same time).

A "C major chord" in isolation has no meaning -- is it the tonic (I), is it the sub-dominant (IV) or a dominant (V)?  Is it "borrowed" temporarily from another key (V of V) or is it just there for color because it just happens to sound good.  That C chord has 12 different key contexts (24 if we consider major and minor separate) as well as numerous shades within a given key.  It's meaning can also change whether it is root position or in an inversion.

In language, if I were to say to pronounce "read" would you pronounce it like "reed" or like "red".  And how do you pronounce "ough"?  As in "rough", "through", or "though"?

And if I were to ask you to spell from the sound of "to/too/two" or "for/four/fore" would you know which one to spell without some context?

And consider the seemingly innocuous sentence (at least when written) "I'm going to the store." can be imbued with subtle meanings by how its said:

I'm going to the store.  (Does anyone need anything?)
I'm going to the store.  (You aren't)
I'm going to the store.  (Don't try to stop me)
I'm going to the store.  (not to the library)

I could even turn it into the very simplified form -- "I go store."  and it would still be understood.

In music, chords are a part of our vocabulary.  They make up the dictionary.  We learn how to spell them.  But, just learning how to build chords is a little like reading the dictionary and considering that one has actually read all of the books in the English Language.

Harmony is about how chords work and are used in different contexts.  It is a part of the grammar of music.

First, there are the progression patterns.  These are like the language phrase books.  They are often used basic patterns to allow you to find the bathroom, or a restaurant.  As children, we learn and internalize these basic patterns so that we can speak off the top of our heads without having to figure out how to form every sentence.

But, as we develop in our ability to use language, we learn how to modify those patterns and how to use our vocabulary in new ways and even to play with words.

The same with music.  Once we have certain progression patterns down, we start using them and trying different combinations.  We discover that we can add or remove chords from the pattern, or even reverse them.  We discover that the affect changes depending on how long the chord is sounded (harmonic rhythm).  We discover that some of the chords in the harmony are decoration which, while enhancing or heightening the meaning, doesn't substantially alter the meaning.  We discover that with our chord "words" we can add subtle shades of meaning to them by adding 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths and/or chromatically alter a note or two.  We can even learn to make the equivalent of musical puns and musical satire -- just listen to P.D.Q. Bach.

One of my favorites is in Beethoven's 5th piano concerto ("Emperor").  There is the transition from the 2nd to the third movement where it sounds like the orchestra has lost their place and the conductor has left the podium.  He keeps this up long enough for the listener to wonder what has happened and then breaks into the rousing finale.  It takes an exceptional orchestra to actually pull it off.

Anyway, thanx again for talking about context.  I think that it is important for musicians (particularly earlier level musicians) to begin to understand this.

Another insightful revelation!!! 8)

great analogies used..
Powered & Sponsored by Jesus Christ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up