LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did/Will Your Passion For Improvement ...  (Read 4256 times)

Did/Will Your Passion For Improvement ...
« on: March 03, 2008, 02:30:36 AM »
...cease once you've "made it"? I've come to realize that what many call a love of music/drums, is nothing more than a need for validation, and the instrument becomes a means to that end. Once the compliments become redundant, or have successfully gassed your head to planet-sized proportions - the fire to improve ceases. Let's not forget the ultimate compliment to your skills....

...being paid well for your skills. Am I against gettin' broke off? My favorite car costs more than 200 thousand dollars - that should answer your question. However, is being paid the end all and be all of your passion for improvement? If so, then do you realize that music is but merely a trade for you?

When I first came up with the idea for this thread, I was going to take a survey. Now, I realize I probably won't get truly honest answers. In any case, I would suggest that you think on what I said. If you realize that music is nothing more than a trade for you, do you think it's worth it to put in all that work, for a success that's not even guaranteed, for an artform you're not really passionate about?

I'm sure many may say I'm over-stepping my boundaries here - but their are many trades that you can learn, in two years, that will pay you very well. From my experience, only psychotically dedicated musicians are ready for real work, after only two years of skill-honing.   Leave the music to the ones who eat, sleep and breathe it because they love it. I think the lack of creativity and evolution exists because we're turning out more tradesmen, than passionate artists.  A true artist would never be content with their current level of skill/ability...

...someone whose in it mostly/purely for the fame and fortunate, and have recieved those things already, would. They'll only seek to improve once the phone stops ringing. Either that, or give up...

Okay; I'm done.

Offline dude-on-drums

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • www.kevinhayden.net
    • Kevin Hayden

Re: Did/Will Your Passion For Improvement ...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 07:33:33 AM »
...cease once you've "made it"? I've come to realize that what many call a love of music/drums, is nothing more than a need for validation, and the instrument becomes a means to that end. Once the compliments become redundant, or have successfully gassed your head to planet-sized proportions - the fire to improve ceases. Let's not forget the ultimate compliment to your skills....

...being paid well for your skills. Am I against gettin' broke off? My favorite car costs more than 200 thousand dollars - that should answer your question. However, is being paid the end all and be all of your passion for improvement? If so, then do you realize that music is but merely a trade for you?

When I first came up with the idea for this thread, I was going to take a survey. Now, I realize I probably won't get truly honest answers. In any case, I would suggest that you think on what I said. If you realize that music is nothing more than a trade for you, do you think it's worth it to put in all that work, for a success that's not even guaranteed, for an artform you're not really passionate about?

I'm sure many may say I'm over-stepping my boundaries here - but their are many trades that you can learn, in two years, that will pay you very well. From my experience, only psychotically dedicated musicians are ready for real work, after only two years of skill-honing.   Leave the music to the ones who eat, sleep and breathe it because they love it. I think the lack of creativity and evolution exists because we're turning out more tradesmen, than passionate artists.  A true artist would never be content with their current level of skill/ability...

...someone whose in it mostly/purely for the fame and fortunate, and have recieved those things already, would. They'll only seek to improve once the phone stops ringing. Either that, or give up...

Okay; I'm done.

To each his own.  Job or hobby?  A little bit of both?  In either case, I agree that passion should be the dominant factor.  Some of us have stronger networking skills than actual musician skills.  I would assume that a person in this state would only work hard enough to either get hired or not get fired from a gig.  That sucks in my opinion.  In any case in life, the bare minimum sucks.  But like I said, to each his own.

Offline drummin4jc

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:59:19 AM »
nice post . Really makes you think...

Offline DetroitB3

• LGM Member
  • Playing in the key of life
    • http://

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 09:02:20 AM »
Food for thought...I'll reply to this thread with a more thought our response a lil later..

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:04:18 AM »
Food for thought...I'll reply to this thread with a more thought our response a lil later..

What up, dude?

It's been a minute.

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:36 AM »

To each his own.  Job or hobby?  A little bit of both?  In either case, I agree that passion should be the dominant factor.  Some of us have stronger networking skills than actual musician skills.  I would assume that a person in this state would only work hard enough to either get hired or not get fired from a gig.  That sucks in my opinion.  In any case in life, the bare minimum sucks.  But like I said, to each his own.

You know what, Sheen?

To me, it's only an issue because it would seem their are more who are into for the pay, than those who are into it because they really love it. Of course you're going to have some who will do it mainly/solely as a means to a financial end, but, from my experience, that's the emajority. Absolutely every dude, that I know, whose gigging, are fat & content.

To me, they seem to be thinking, "Why should I care about learning more, or practicing if it's not messing with my cash flow?" I think it's a problem when tons of dudes have the exact same sound, five to ten years from the moment you first heard them.

Offline tko05

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 10:07:16 AM »
For most of my life I I played drums for the recognition untill I found out that praise from man is a really weak motivator after a while. So I grew up and started trying to find out why and how my influences got to the point that they got to. Their passion for their craft inspired me and I began to truly love music and take it seriously as an art form. However, after a  few years I began to feel that all of my hard work was meaningless and began to fall into a slump.

About 6 months ago I began teaching drums and God began to use me to really help people. My journey as a musician has led me to validate the the saying that "Only what you do for Christ will last." Ive never been more motivated to play and become better because I want to please God and reach people for him through my gift.
“If Better Is Possible, Good Is No Longer An Option.

E.R.

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »
Great Read. Good Thought. I have a job that pays me extremely well and its not a musical job. So in short, drums are my passion. My Heart's desire is to be better today than I was yesterday.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 01:54:16 AM »
This is a real gut check thread that is needed!
I can see that not many folk want to man up and post on this one... most want even commit to reading it. So sad.

Keep exposing the truth.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 07:43:52 AM »
This right here is real heavy. I was going to wait and post so I can give a thoughtful response, but it would've been at least a week before I posted. This is real thought provoking. I hope others get the message.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline Da_Drumma

• LGM Member
    • Da' Drumma on Myspace

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 10:06:25 AM »
Wow!!! This topic needs to be read by everyone, and even posted in MD magazine. This will make alot of people think. Even if they don't post a reply I gurantee you it will make them think, because you cannot escape the truth!!

Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it's not going to go away.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
Hmmm... Interesting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up