LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRADITIONAL CONGREGATIONAL PATTERNS  (Read 20252 times)

Offline Lilfingers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

TRADITIONAL CONGREGATIONAL PATTERNS
« on: January 24, 2010, 08:08:11 PM »
Hello, can someone help me? In church today, the pianist played a traditional congregational pattern. I know this pattern when I hear it, but just don't know how to play it.  I have read T-Block's blogs on congregational patterns----but I still don't understand it. 

Can someone or T-Block go that extra step and explain it a little more (for dummies like me) or a video or midi to show these different patterns and how to play them?  I'm being asked to play more and more  (mostly congegational hymns) but I don't want to think about how to play a simple song when it fits into the traditional pattern.  (You know songs like "Jesus' on the Mainline" and "Can't Nobody Do Me Like Jesus")

Please help me!
Thanks
I'm playing for God's Glory--not man's. LILFINGERS

Offline ma1ne

• LGM Member
  • He that findeth a wife! PRAISE HIM! LOL
    • Facebook

Re: TRADITIONAL CONGREGATIONAL PATTERNS
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 04:36:56 AM »
Hey whats goin on. im actually goin thru this SAME exact problem. It kinda makes me feel inadequate because i can play choir songs but simple ones i struggle with. However im slowly learning and believe me if i can i know u can. Basically i got some information off of youtube, if you want to check it out, type in Learnmusicministry. He really breaks it down to the simplest form. Basically you are using your simple 1 4 5 major chords for example

In the key of Ab

Jesus is on the mainline - Ab - C Eb Ab (The 1chord, you can ride this chord out until the change, Notice the bass is also your 1)
tell him what - Eb Ab C (notice its the same chord but different inversion)
you - Db F Bb (your 2chord)
want, Oh - Ab - C Eb Ab (resolve back to your 1)

Jesus is on the mainline Db - Ab Db F (your 4chord with your 4bass)
Tell Him what you - Ab Db F
want - Ab - Ab C Eb (resolve back to your 1) So far notice that you only used a total of 3 chords

Jesus is on the mainline - Ab - C Eb Ab
tell him what you - Eb Ab C
Want, you can - Db - Db F Ab (your 4chord again)

Call Him up and Eb,F - Eb Ab C
tell Him, what you - Bb,Eb - Db F Bb (your 2 chord again)
want - Ab - C Eb Ab (resolve back to your 1)

The bass i gave you at the end was the basic 5-6-2-5-1 progression. Thats the most basic pattern for most traditional songs. I know this may sound simple but once you understand you will always be able to build on it. This whole song used a total of 3 chords. In most traditional songs usually the second verse of the song more than likely will start with the 4chord then as like always, resolve back to the 1. Thats one of the reasons why its very important to have an understanding on the 1-4-5 major chords in every key. You can take this same principle and play "Cant Nobody Do Me Like Jesus" Just take it slow and i promise you will get it. I know in church you hear dudes using substitute chords and runs and what not but im not at that point YET lol. Anyway i really hope this helps.

Play skilfully with a loud noise Psalm 33:3

Offline terra holmes

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 09:52:42 PM »
Yes Yes yes...it seems traditional/congregational seems impossible. Most of our senior members prefer that old time gospel sound. I try picking out the right keys, and I find that i'm getting more and more fustrated with myself. It's a good thing that our seniors has patience. i realize it takes time to chord songs, but if anyone has time I need assistance on the following.

HAVE U TRIED JESUS
IF I CAN'T SAY A WORD
POWER LORD
SEARCH ME LORD
IN THE WORD OF GOD
WHAT'S THE MATTER W/JESUS, HE'S ALRIGHT
SEND DOWN YOUR POWER

Offline Lilfingers

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »
Hey, thanks guys, I'll check this out when I get home------sorry, I'm just getting back with you!

Glad to know that I'm not by myself-----Thanks again!
I'm playing for God's Glory--not man's. LILFINGERS

Offline antonebrooks

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
Can’t Nobody Do Me Like Jesus - Tutorial
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhlsT7jKeUg

This a great Video for it!

I wrote this down from the video...
                      Ab7          Db7        Bdim     Ab          Ab-Ab       Gb9           Db      Ab          Chords-Notes (R-H)
Ab                    C            Dd          D          Eb            F             Gb            G        Ab          Bass line (L-H) 
       Can’t                       no                       bo                           dy             Lyrics         

Ab      Bbmin       Dmin7           Ab           (G,Db,Gb)13th          (Gb,C,F)        (Gb,C,E)         
C         Db            D                 Eb                 A                              Ab                   D
           Do me       like            Jesus 

Bsus(b5)                   B6                     Bsus7(b5)                 B6                 
Db                F           Ab           Bb      Db                   F        Ab        Bb       
Cant                          no                     bo                            dy                                       

Bsus7(b5)   Bdim                    Ab       Ebaug7        Single Notes -->Eb     F     
Dd                D                        Eb            Eb
                    Do me like the    Lord

Ab           Ab7           Db7         Bdim        Ab   
Ab           C               Dd           D             Eb         Walk Down -->Eb     Db     
Can’t       no             bo       dy

Bbdim                            Fm7            Ab        Db7     Ddim7     
C                           E      F                  C        Db            D             
Do  me like                    Jesus                                               

Ab                  Ebdim7              Dim            Bbmin              Ab          Walk Down -->Eb-Ab    D-Ab      Db-Ab    C-Ab        Passing Chord --> Ebaug7
Ab       F#       F                 A     Bb      D     Eb          G       Ab          Walk Down -->Ab-Gb    Ab-F      Ab-E       Ab-Eb   Eb      
He’s                                          my              Friend                                          

Offline sydney0726

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
Hey guys its Hakeem from South Africa, I need help on the chords for the song "shout unto God with a voice of triumph" by Marvin Sapp the song blesses me a lot...thanx in advance...God Bless you all

Offline devasinger

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:04:08 PM »
Thank you antonebrooks, I know this is old but it is helpful! :-)

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 03:24:18 PM »
We have a TON of videos on traditional congregational patterns. Here are a few of the beginner patterns to check out. For  more advanced patterns/chords, check out our youtube channel or website:

♫ OLD SCHOOL Gospel Pattern in Eb (easy piano tutorial lesson)
♫ OLD SCHOOL Gospel Pattern in Eb (easy piano tutorial lesson)

♫ C Major: EASY BEGINNER Congregational Song Pattern (piano tutorial lesson) ♫
! No longer available

♫ A-Flat: Beginner Congregational Song Techniques ♫
! No longer available
Pages: [1]   Go Up