LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best keyboard amp  (Read 8483 times)

Offline dcdabassman

• LGM Member
    • myspace

best keyboard amp
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »
hi guys
i'm a bass player i just wanted to know the best brand for a keyboard amp because i planned to buy the church a new keyboard amp, and i'm wondering....the church average capacity is 100 people so how many watt shoud the amp handle and price everything guys thank you in advance be blessed
Use What God Gave You To Bless Other People
www.myspace.com/dcbassmtl

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

Re: best keyboard amp
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »
Maybe look at Motion Sound,they have some cabinets that have built in leslies,and some have an angular design to enhance the true stereo effects on Motis,etc.Check out Sweetwater .com,think the price is just under a grand.

Offline robdown

• LGM Member
  • Beats.
    • Reverb Nation

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:06:33 PM »
i've played Crate's most of my life and am pretty happy with them...built like tanks and clear sound at loud levels with the rest of the band. Roland's are loud but are prone to breakdowns years down the line (power source, failed knobs, erratic inputs/outputs). a brand that isn't too well known but i've heard nothing but praise from cats that use them are Barbetta's.

Offline Kevykev388

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 03:19:40 PM »
I own the old school Peavey KB100 and 300. I like them both because they're built like tanks (rather heavy too) and sound really good for any keyboard. Also what I like about my KB300 is the EQ features. Has four inputs, and each input has its own individual input with low, low mid, high mid, and high (sweet for multiple keyboards/instruments). I don't own the Roland K500 but I have played through one PLENTY of times. Although you only get one EQ for all three/four inputs it still puts out remarkeable sound. I guess its something to think about. But these two amps are pretty much leading industry standards to my knowledge. At least I see them the most on the road!
Keys, bass, drums, trombone, I sing a lil bit too lol

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
I'd check out the Roland KC series. you dont need the biggest one, I would get it and use at as a monitor and run the keyboard though the church's sound system.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
I'd check out the Roland KC series. you dont need the biggest one, I would get it and use at as a monitor and run the keyboard though the church's sound system.

No, no, no. You could wind up with a constant, annoying buzz (which can be filtered out with a direct box). Instead of spending extra cash on the direct box, just set up the keyboard and the amp and find a speaker (I'm willing to bet most churches have an extra speaker lying around somewhere) and run the keyboard through that.

That should produce enough sound for everyone to hear easily and the keyboardist can control his own volume instead of the person at the main board.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline under13

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 04:52:31 PM »

No, no, no. You could wind up with a constant, annoying buzz (which can be filtered out with a direct box). Instead of spending extra cash on the direct box, just set up the keyboard and the amp and find a speaker (I'm willing to bet most churches have an extra speaker lying around somewhere) and run the keyboard through that.

That should produce enough sound for everyone to hear easily and the keyboardist can control his own volume instead of the person at the main board.

I'm kinda split on that issue. I like having the amp alone so that you dont have to deal with incompetent sound men..... but it usually sounds a lot better going though the house speakers, and if you record your services its should come out more balanced. If that takes getting a direct box, then it would be worth the extra few dollars.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 07:26:50 PM »
I'm kinda split on that issue. I like having the amp alone so that you dont have to deal with incompetent sound men..... but it usually sounds a lot better going though the house speakers, and if you record your services its should come out more balanced. If that takes getting a direct box, then it would be worth the extra few dollars.

We record our service just minus the music (but that's only because we don't have the right vocal mics for a good recorded sound).

I'd have to test your theory vs mine to see which would work for my situation. Maybe the OP could do the same thing if they could borrow a direct box from someone.
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
I have an old Peavey KB300 and that thing has been a trooper for at least 20 years.  My Roland KC550 is nice and sounds good as long as you don't push it too hard.  When the Rolands clip, it's about the worst sound you've heard in your life.  If the church has a system, I'd run it through and use the amp as a monitor.  The KC550 line out can be noisy so you could connect a DI directly to the keyboard and run the parallel/split out to the amp.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.

Offline Kevykev388

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »
I wouldnt buy a smaller amp! You can never lose with having more than enough power for any situation. Get the KC550 or peavey KB5. I think yorkville makes pretty good keyboard amps as well! And like stated before if you must run through the house, you still have that option.
Keys, bass, drums, trombone, I sing a lil bit too lol

Offline soundsanointed

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Osoware

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I've been a Roland user since I started playing keyboard.  I've used the KC-500 and KC-550.  I'm interested in trying out that new 880 that came out a bit ago.. Anybody ever paired any of these amps up with the KCW-1 Subwoofer?  Would you recommend it?

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
When I was in Korea, I had everything going to the sound system. The only thing that needed a directbox, for us, was the bass guitar. I then had monitors for each instrument running on their own channel. I had the voice channels running through the keyboard monitor at about 25% the level of the mains, so the band area could hear.

Offline MemphisKeys

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:53:43 PM »
I have a roland kc 500 it sounds pretty good and a peavey KB-300 n wanna try a behringer they sound pretty good to me....try musiciansfriend.com or guitarcenter.com or samedaymusic.com
Music is my Best friend

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 02:03:48 PM »
You have to do a lot of coloring the behringer in order to get a full sound. The Rolands are expensive but the KC amps are clear and have a good punch when playing piano sounds though them. I've actually played a keyboard through a bass amp and it was off the chain though I wouldn't recommend that. Go with what ever is in your budget but I would agree you should get something with more power than you need.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:19:22 PM »
You have to do a lot of coloring the behringer in order to get a full sound. The Rolands are expensive but the KC amps are clear and have a good punch when playing piano sounds though them. I've actually played a keyboard through a bass amp and it was off the chain though I wouldn't recommend that. Go with what ever is in your budget but I would agree you should get something with more power than you need.

I have to Co-sign!

I have played a keyboard through a bass amp and it was off the chain.  WOW!  
Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline B3Organist_007

• LGM Member

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »
I spoke with this guy a samash a few years back and he said Barbetta Amps (http://www.barbetta.com/) are some of the best amps you can get; even better than Roland, Peavy, etc. They are however on the expensive side.

Offline 1stLady

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In All Things ~ Give Thanks!

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 09:25:33 AM »
I use a Behringer K1800, had it for about 5yrs now...well I had to big one til they "reshaped" their amps so I got the smaller one, by look only....Puts out very well..But as with any thing It's according to your personal taste...I would recommend you check it out. They are fairly inexpensive too!
Before All Else Fails, Try Jesus!!

Offline ferrente

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Lord Can Do All Things!

Trust in the Lord and do good so shalt thou dwell in the land and verily thou shalt be fed.

Offline docjohn

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 07:09:31 AM »
How about Hartke,every once in a while I got a chance to run my Alesis thru the 4-10" aluminum cones + it sounded GOOD!
Pages: [1]   Go Up