LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Great tips on how to effectively direct a choir/choir rehearsal  (Read 74670 times)

Offline c3hamby

• LGM Member
  • Me after I rode my bike from Austin to Arkansas!

Re: Great tips on how to effectively direct a choir/choir rehearsal
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 06:29:26 PM »
Thanks for these tips! Appreciate that!

As far as directing with the hands, I can't. At my small church, I am the head musician(organ), and director and sound guy!!

So I will direct with my head, my mouth. At the end of songs I will stick my hand up to signal the end. I am going to keep reading what you are talking about. This is good stuff.

What do you do for warm ups? This last week I had them run up and down the scale on numbers and then on do-re-mi, etc.
Thanks for letting me hang with you guys!

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2012, 07:37:45 PM »
Thanks for these tips! Appreciate that!

As far as directing with the hands, I can't. At my small church, I am the head musician(organ), and director and sound guy!!

So I will direct with my head, my mouth. At the end of songs I will stick my hand up to signal the end. I am going to keep reading what you are talking about. This is good stuff.

What do you do for warm ups? This last week I had them run up and down the scale on numbers and then on do-re-mi, etc.

That's good - I also have them repeat a phrase from a song we're going to do, over and over. This works when getting levels on mics, too.

For next week's rehearsal, I cobbled together a sheet of short Choir parts to use for call-and-response Gospel warmups, in different keys...
(see attached pdf)

Offline c3hamby

• LGM Member
  • Me after I rode my bike from Austin to Arkansas!

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »
Cool! This is cool, thanks!!!! I can totally use this. Got anymore, or know where I can go to get more?
Thanks for letting me hang with you guys!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
Thanks Betnich!
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 09:59:35 AM »
Cool! This is cool, thanks!!!! I can totally use this. Got anymore, or know where I can go to get more?

Here's another, w/keyboard, that came to me last night. A little longer, but maybe you can do just the first 2 measures over and over, going up the keys chromatically. Or do the same with the whole thing. Our choir tends to just stand still when they sing, and Pastor wants them to move with the beat, so maybe this will help...

Offline MoseLeslie

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 08:47:01 PM »
Hi, New here...
Just one note - I've discovered that when I'm teaching parts, for quickest results, teach the words and rhythms first, then go back and teach the melodies to each part. So what I do is beat the time with my hands on my lap and get everyone to recite the words with me in rhythm. Then we worry about parts. Also, make sure each member has a recording of how we're going to do it to practice with.
Using this, I was able to teach the Hallelujah Chorus - soulful version in two rehearsals! The first one, everybody learned their parts, and the second one was tighten up.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »
Hi, New here...
Just one note - I've discovered that when I'm teaching parts, for quickest results, teach the words and rhythms first, then go back and teach the melodies to each part. So what I do is beat the time with my hands on my lap and get everyone to recite the words with me in rhythm. Then we worry about parts. Also, make sure each member has a recording of how we're going to do it to practice with.
Using this, I was able to teach the Hallelujah Chorus - soulful version in two rehearsals! The first one, everybody learned their parts, and the second one was tighten up.

Welcome to LGM and GREAT advice!
www.GetCovered4Life.com (Mortgage Protection, Final Expense, Tax Free Retirement)

Offline enoryp

• LGM Member
  • ~I CAN DO ALL THING THROUGH CHRIST~

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 05:59:41 PM »
HI, I AM A BEGINNER CHOIR DIRECTOR, IVE BEEN DIRECTING FOR ABOUT 4 YRS NOW. I AM OK BUT I COULD USE A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT. I AM A LEADER AND I'M GOOD AT TAKING CONTROL ITS JUST THAT I DONT HAVE ALL THE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT DIRECTING. I WANT TO KNOW MORE AND HOW TO TEACH SONGS. IM GREATFUL FOR YOUR POST ON HOW TO RUN A EFFECTIVE REHEARSAL CAUSE IM GETTING READY TO TAKE OVER MY CHOIR AS PRESIDENT AND I NEED HELP BADLY. ESPECIALLY BEING THAT MY CHOIR DOESNT HAVE A MUSICIAN RIGHT NOW, WE JUST HAVE DRUMS SO WE'RE DOING THR BEST WE CAN.  SO IF YOU HAVE ANY TIP THAT WOULD BE A GREAT BENEFIT TO ME PLEASE BLESS ME WITH THEM AND PLEASE KEEP POSTING, I COULD USE THE IDEAS! THANK YOU MUCH...GOD BLESS!!!

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
HI, I AM A BEGINNER CHOIR DIRECTOR, IVE BEEN DIRECTING FOR ABOUT 4 YRS NOW. I AM OK BUT I COULD USE A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT. I AM A LEADER AND I'M GOOD AT TAKING CONTROL ITS JUST THAT I DONT HAVE ALL THE KNOWLEDGE ABOUT DIRECTING. I WANT TO KNOW MORE AND HOW TO TEACH SONGS. IM GREATFUL FOR YOUR POST ON HOW TO RUN A EFFECTIVE REHEARSAL CAUSE IM GETTING READY TO TAKE OVER MY CHOIR AS PRESIDENT AND I NEED HELP BADLY. ESPECIALLY BEING THAT MY CHOIR DOESNT HAVE A MUSICIAN RIGHT NOW, WE JUST HAVE DRUMS SO WE'RE DOING THR BEST WE CAN.  SO IF YOU HAVE ANY TIP THAT WOULD BE A GREAT BENEFIT TO ME PLEASE BLESS ME WITH THEM AND PLEASE KEEP POSTING, I COULD USE THE IDEAS! THANK YOU MUCH...GOD BLESS!!!

Welcome to LGM!

Offline Formuzik

• LGM Member

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
The purpose of warm-ups is to help choir members learn certain techniques for more effective voice control such as breathing, vowel tones, and intonation.  Each week, I pick a warm up exercise that addresses one of those targets.  I choose my warm-up to emphasis something that will be needed in a song that will be taught that night.  If the warm-ups don't have a direct connection to the music, choir members will feel it is a waste of time, and will either not fully participate or come in when they think that part of rehearsal is over.  I even go back to the warm-up exercise if we hit a trouble spot in the song. 

I focus a lot on diction and blend.  I explain things like diphthongs and the vowel sounds that use them and why it's important to learn to sing them correctly.  Example:  the long "a" sound is eh ee. So for our exercise we sustain the "eh"  and clip the "ee".  I explain that if they pronounce in singing the way we talk often the diction is lost to the audience unless they already know the song.  so we my do 13531 (nee Nehee  Nahee (the long "I") No (long o)  and Noo (long double o).  we often start at low register (G below middle C) because in female register this is the lowest classical note for altos and the octave below is the lowest bass note, G below low C.  I also tell them that we don't flinch when we are out of range; simply drop out, but when you feel you are at your peak, try one more level up, then drop out.  the last section to drop out should be first sopranos and first tenors. 

I seat my choirs according to 8 parts (first sop on the top tiers of the soprano section, 2nds down front, bass/baritones next to them tenors (first tenors in the top tiers, 2nds in front) altos (first altos lower tiers, 2nd altos in top tier)  This helps me to identify who is being lazy during warm-ups and who is dropping out before they should based on what I know their range to be.

When we are doing a song that requires breath or dynamic control, our warm-up reflects this with hah's, consonants, and breathing exercises.

Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions.

Starkovich

MusiqMaker

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2012, 08:55:54 PM »
I'm new to LGM and love this fellowship of music lovers and ministry.  This forum is fantastic and I'm enjoying reading the posts and comments.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 07:12:31 AM »
I'm new to LGM and love this fellowship of music lovers and ministry.  This forum is fantastic and I'm enjoying reading the posts and comments.
Welcome Welcome Welcome to LGM! :)

terrence brown

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »
wonderful tips... thank you

terrence brown

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 07:07:58 PM »
great tips

Offline BEEJAXX

• LGM Member
  • If loving you is wrong... I don't want to be right

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
AWESOME!!
Thank you!
Love a word that comes and goes.. But few ppl really know, what it means to really love somebody.

Offline Chukme

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:28 AM »
This is wonderful. Its helping choir directors to get it right. The CHALLENGE am having as a choir director is that i don't know how teach the choir their various vocal parts (soprano, alto, tenor, bass). I can play the piano but up till now, I'v not been able to figure out how to teach parts using a piano.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »
This is wonderful. Its helping choir directors to get it right. The CHALLENGE am having as a choir director is that i don't know how teach the choir their various vocal parts (soprano, alto, tenor, bass). I can play the piano but up till now, I'v not been able to figure out how to teach parts using a piano.
PLEASE HELP ME OUT.

There really isn't a RIGHT way of doing this.  Luckily, I am able to hear parts very easily.  If you aren't as fortunate, the best way is to listen to the song and to chart out the choir chords.  Once you start doing this, you will realize the pattern in most Gospel harmonies that it'll become easier to teach. 

blyempowered

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »
These are very good tips!! I've started to plan rehearsals. It keeps me focused. In my plan I have my plan of action and in that I also have the lyrics because in the past I've tried to teach songs but didn't 1) know the lyrics or 2) have the lyrics in front of me. I also estimae the amount of time it will take to learn it or complete the song. We have 2 rehearsals so the time in the 2nd rehearsal isn't as long.

Ms. Blue

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »
vtguy84 this has been such a blessing to me. I thank you so much for this post.

Offline vtguy84

• LGM Member
    • Get Covered 4 Life

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »
vtguy84 this has been such a blessing to me. I thank you so much for this post.

Thank you sis and welcome!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up