LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pdp fs vs m5 vs pearl vision vbx  (Read 4145 times)

Offline pcjona

• LGM Member

pdp fs vs m5 vs pearl vision vbx
« on: May 11, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
anyone have any input?

pdp fs is birch

the m5 is maple

and the vbx is birch

to be honest all i know is that birch is said to be better for stage and studio

and maple is said to be much warmer whatever that means

however the wood doesnt really matter to me

im not an entry level drummer but im looking for a cheap drum set to replace my 89 tama drum set i have a church lol

if its gonna be a church kit i dont want to spend 3k

so anyone that has experience let me know :]

looking to pick something up today at samash or gc

Offline robin of drummin

• LGM Member

Re: pdp fs vs m5 vs pearl vision vbx
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 08:36:01 AM »
then there is your answer you can't exactly go by what other people say, you have to go and test drive the drums, find out what you like and what appeals to you. That Includes how it reacts to your favorite drum heads a.k.a skins, hardware configuration, for instance the kind of lugs it uses.  Low mass lugs give you better resonance.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
Just a couple of things to note.

Yes, times are hard and money is a stretch for anyone these days, however, if you're gonna devalue God's ministry by not aiming for the best your money can buy by saying

if its gonna be a church kit i dont want to spend 3k

Then you really have no business selecting a kit for the church.

Last point, I used to agree with robin that picking what sounded good to you is whats best but I'm now a believer of whats right for the church.
Generally, maple are the better all round kits for all situations, so in light of the fact that the kit belongs to the church (and not you), I'd say going for a kit that suits the church's needs not your own should really be the priority (whether its maple or birch, I can't say). But certainly look at this purchase in light of what best serves the church.

Whichever kit you decide on, they're all pretty good kits for their prices.

Offline pcjona

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:36:47 AM »
then again it might be my money

for my own kit

that im going to be using in church?

honestly that was very ignorant. and i dont know where you got the idea it was being paid for by the church. but whatever.

if it wasnt my money i would buy the sickest DW kit the world has ever seen... lol but it was my money, some money i had saved and i only had 1300 to spend and i needed more then a kit. keep in mind i just barely turned 19 a month ago.

anyways, so i bought the pearl VBX, a 15" hhx evolution crash, a cheap 12" wuhan splash and a really comfortable pdp seat lol

also, saying i should buy whats best for the church?

the church doesnt know what it needs.

the members wouldnt have the slightest idea on what kit to buy.

neither would my grandfather, the pastor.

the drummer is in the position to choose a kit for the church imo.

to everyone else everything sounds the same.

even if you dont agree,

ive played in churches where the kit is garbage. and no one cringes like i do when i hit that cheap cymbal.

but they dont know any better. so as long as theres a drum set, they dont care. thats all i have to say.

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
All I'm saying above is don't limit the $$$ purposed for the music ministry in your respective church(es).

I'm also referring to the mindset/attitude of the OP. Its coming across as though the OP would rather spend 3k on a kit for himself, than if it were for church(read: God)...

Offline fretai03

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My Fatso
    • My Youth

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
Just saw your reply.

Good buy.

You proved my point in a roundabout ways anyway. Even more important, you made good decisions based on what you know will work for the church.

No disrespect dude... Just trying to elevate musical and spiritual awareness. Have fun with your new gear, you're gonna love it!

Offline robin of drummin

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
i am gonna have go along with what pc said, who say's the church has to pay for ever thing, the set that church purchased was bought when i was like 14 now i am 36 and that pearl set has been a blessing every since but every thing else has been bought by me. so necessarily the church doesn't have buy or provide all the provisions,  you can do your part by being a blessing to the church.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
anyone have any input?

pdp fs is birch

the m5 is maple

and the vbx is birch

Out of the drums you inquired of above...

The Pearl VBX has a better product warranty and arguably the more solid hardware package. I think the construction of the Pearl VBX is better than the FS and M5 kits.

I will say that the FS has a really nice sound (at least when I last heard them a few years ago)

HOWEVER... the best sounding mid-level birch kit is the Yamaha Stage Custom. The Yamaha kits have the strongest hardware. The adding the warmer sounding EVANS really add a richness to the already punchy sound the and add the fuller mid-range characteristic of maple.

So my personal pick would be:
1) Yamaha Stage Custom
2) Pearl VBX

Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker
Pages: [1]   Go Up