LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording bass guitar  (Read 4279 times)

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

Recording bass guitar
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »
Since I play bass, I dont want to use midi for recording, I want to play straight out. Problem is, I cant seem to find a way to get my bass sounding like it fits in the mix of things. Im not sure if its the bass, or if i need to use some effects after recording, but then if that, dont know what to use. I used both of my basses and its the same thing. Way too boomy and undefined if I have by bass setting at normal levels. If i dial down it sounds thin, nothing like how clear bass is on most recordings.

Not sure what options I have. But if anyone has suggestions, I'll be happy to try if I can.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

Re: Recording bass guitar
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 05:13:15 PM »
What is your recording signal chain?
How are you monitoring the recording?
Sounding Mathematics.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:03 PM »
i recently got a Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 going into my laptop via Firewire. Monitoring through the Saffire pro via monitoring headphones. Should i just check it out on my regular monitors?

Offline 6stringapprentice

• LGM Member
    • facebook

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 11:40:11 PM »
Well.... people say you should have monitors for mixing, mastering, and critical listening, however for what I do headphones work just fine.

Some things I would try.

You may have to try running your bass more mid heavy than you are used to. You can then pull the bass level down to see if it helps sit in the mix better.

Eq is another option. Personally I prefer parametric, but a graphic with a decent amount of bands will do fine also.

Another option which can work very well is multiple band compression, but it has a steep learning curve. It helps if you have a plugin that will let you solo each band.

And then there is the standard compressor which can help even out the tonal spectrum. This may or may not help your specific problem like eq or multiband compression but most bass tracks are at least lightly compressed to keep the dynamics under control.

Sounding Mathematics.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:02:31 AM »
thanks guys. i'll try these out. I wanted to feel like i had a decent signal going in before i even try to apply different things. No point in applying layers and layers of paint on an old run down house.

I think what i'll do is this: instead of erasing the take, just jot down my settings and do another take on a separate track, and jot down those settings. I'll try your methods and after several tracks I'll start working with the post recording stuff. Maybe I'd get the results i want from any one of those takes, and i'll have the settings to be able to do it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up