LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you considered playing guitar?  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Have you considered playing guitar?
« on: February 12, 2013, 10:18:44 AM »
I was watching this song moving forward and thought it was cool that the guy was able to switch to a bass later in the song. Im learning multiple instruments and I think it would be cool to fill in on another instrument or even be able to switch to another from and an artistic standpoint. The guitar switch probably would be easier for bass players.
Moving Forward (Unplugged) by Israel Houghton
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: Have you considered playing guitar?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »
The guitar switch probably would be easier for bass players.

Well (speaking as a guitarist who plays bass) the switch is easy in terms of the interface.  With the exception of the two extra high strings, the locations of the notes is identical and the base concept of playing a stringed instrument carries over.  But the guitar is physically smaller than a bass guitar (which will likely make it easier to play) and if you're not used to playing chords, you'll need to learn - not to mention that pesky high B string that doesn't follow the pattern of tuning in 4ths.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline KlassikKayJay

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »
I've switched back and forth between the bass and guitar. I've found that I can play scale on my guitar a lot faster and smoothly after playing them on the bass. The only difference for me has been the role that both instruments play in the music.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 10:13:42 PM »
thinking about taking up guitar now to sort of kick me out of the rut I am in right now. Stuck playing one style for my fills learning a new instruments tends to force me to look at music differently even if it is the same song.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
tried the guitar, particularly since someone wanted me to teach them, because i played bass. so i figured i'd learn first. that B string breaking the cycle of 4ths was seriously annoying, but i figure over time it wouldve been manageable. Its just the physical size of the instrument that made things so difficult. After having to gain stretch to play bass, crunching my fingers together to form a chord just wasnt working. i could do barre chords though, but thats about it.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:11:04 AM »
After having to gain stretch to play bass, crunching my fingers together to form a chord just wasnt working. i could do barre chords though, but thats about it.

That's the problem I was having. I might try again, but it was annoying trying to play chords on them little strings.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:08 AM »
That's the problem I was having. I might try again, but it was annoying trying to play chords on them little strings.

Yeah, but little strings mean a lot!  :)
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline hands5

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 08:22:52 AM »
I was a guitar player in a Metal Band wheyyyyy back in the day....haven"t pick one up in years, but may eventually get around to it again.

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
It's funny that I have not really been practicing guitar over the last year but now in February I am working on multiple instruments again. It really does help after playing one to switch to the other. I'm starting to get up in the mornings and practice before work.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 02:46:20 PM »
crunching my fingers together to form a chord just wasnt working.
Believe it or not, that's how it is for anyone who is learning guitar, not just bass players transitioning over :) Don't let it discourage you too much. We all have to go through it. *smiles*

I've heard and read on various forums (talkbass, ukulele underground) that oftentimes bassists prefer ukulele over guitar. Don't ask me how that works, but it seems to. I've noticed the string spacing of the ukulele is a bit wider at the nut than most guitars, so that might be a factor. Just something to think about #shamelessplug

String spacing on classical guitars is wider than that of your typical folk or electric guitar. Tenor and Baritone guitars are also an option for those who prefer a bit more of a stretch, as they have a longer scale length.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
Believe it or not, that's how it is for anyone who is learning guitar, not just bass players transitioning over :) Don't let it discourage you too much. We all have to go through it. *smiles*

I've heard and read on various forums (talkbass, ukulele underground) that oftentimes bassists prefer ukulele over guitar. Don't ask me how that works, but it seems to. I've noticed the string spacing of the ukulele is a bit wider at the nut than most guitars, so that might be a factor. Just something to think about #shamelessplug

String spacing on classical guitars is wider than that of your typical folk or electric guitar. Tenor and Baritone guitars are also an option for those who prefer a bit more of a stretch, as they have a longer scale length.

I just have fat fingers. so it was a squeeze. But also not knowing my fretboard well kinda hinders the process a bit. I need to do seriously better on the bass before I think i can competently attempt guitar again.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up