LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone downsizing? Anyone going back to 4 string?  (Read 8427 times)

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

Anyone downsizing? Anyone going back to 4 string?
« on: October 21, 2014, 08:53:33 AM »
I haven't been doing much lately and made a decision to let go most of my gear save for a few items. I've also been playing my 4 string a lot more often than not and decided to upgrade one of my 4 string custom basses. I'll also be adding a D-tuner for the E string for when I need to go lower than E. I'm keeping my micro amps (Markbass, Genz Benz & GK) but I also put together a Preamp/Poweramp rig. Sounds pretty good. Just something different. Anyway, just updating what's going on with me.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
  • I'm wasting away here......
    • My Youtube Page

Re: Anyone downsizing? Anyone going back to 4 string?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 05:52:14 PM »
I can barely play a four string as I cut my teeth on 5 and 6-string basses. Your pre/amp rig oughta sound great though. I wish I would have kept my GB Shuttle 9.2 and ShuttleMax 9.2 I miss them now lol.
Precious Lord take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
A five string is so much easier to play than a four string that I(not terriblly good as a bassist)would never go back to a four string. I couldn't see any reason to do so unless I was very competent on the four already.  If I were going to start playing as as a new student,  I would start with the five string in the first place.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 12:52:48 PM »
I'm pretty much a beginner bassist.

I'm thinking about upgrading my 4-string for sound purposes.  I like my 5-string as well.  However, because TABS are written with 4-strings, I want to keep that in my inventory. 

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:35 PM »
A five string is so much easier to play than a four string that I(not terriblly good as a bassist)would never go back to a four string. I couldn't see any reason to do so unless I was very competent on the four already.  If I were going to start playing as as a new student,  I would start with the five string in the first place.

lol, I find the opposite to be true!

Offline DWBass

• LGM Member
  • Make A Joyful Noise!

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:33:51 PM »
I started on a 4 string way back in 197*! LOL. I got used to playing a lot of funk on a 4 string and it's so much easier to slap on. I don't really like slapping on my 5 string to be honest. And most of the gigs I do play on is mostly old school stuff that was originally played on a 4 string. I play my 5 string for modern stuff and jazz. A 5 is still great if you have to transpose stuff down on the fly. I did a gig not too long ago and we played a tune that was normally in F and they did brought it all they way down to C. Good thing I had my 5 with me.
"Never Leave Home Without Your Groove On" :)

Offline PianoClubhouse

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Don't talk about it....BE about it!
    • PianoClubhouse.com

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:42:51 PM »
I tried, and completely ruined the vibe of the church service that morning...LOL. Will never do that again!

Offline malthumb

• LGM Member
  • Praise Is What I Do
    • Your Car Does What?!?!?

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
I almost wanna downsize, but I'm too indecisive.  I "gave" one of my old Music Man basses to my youngest son.  I have a Talkbass ad up to maybe sell one of the other two.  I am not, however, a motivated seller.  If somebody meets my price I'll sell one.  But if not I have no problem keeping both.

My Alembic's are untouchable.... My Marchlewski is irreplaceable (Jake doesn't build anymore).

I do play a bit more 4-string in my current band, but I typically make certain I have a 5-string nearby.  There are about half a dozen songs in our 45-song shows where I feel like I HAVE TO use a 5-string.  The rest can be either 4 or 5-string.
FAITH unites people
RELIGION divides FAITH

Offline berbie

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 09:33:37 PM »
lol, I find the opposite to be true!
[/quote

I can think of several reasons why it seems easier to play a five string. One is that you don't have to detune. Another is that you can usually play two octaves across the bass.  Also, you can go up and down from the root easily, even on the E string. You can easily play higher up on the bass if you want to.  You don't have to use open strings if you don't want to and still play lower patterns.  The five string follows the circle of fourths exactly, so the notes are easier to learn and remember.  You can really rumble if you want to.  Once you get used to the mechanics of the five string, you have all the advantages and few disadvantages when playing it.  But I wonder,  do most feel that it is more difficult to play a five string? 

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
I literally had a four string bass for maybe a year before I bought my first 5 string....a year after that I'd bought a six string. Going back to a four string now is difficult. I can play them, but I'm too used to the wider necks of 5/6-string basses. I do like how you can hold a note on the E or A strings with your thumb and play chords and melodies a la Reggie Parker...can't really do that well on my Cirrus 6er lol.

Most of the songs we play  require a low B string. We'll play in F or Ab sometimes...depending on who the singer is and how they are feeling that day lol.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
All I gots is a four-string. I could pass it up for the price and was tired of not having a bass. Good times. String spacing and scale is a tad uncomfortable cuz my hands aren't that big, but it's a good stretching exercise that doesn't cause me pain, and 6-string guitar is a breeze afterwards.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
All I gots is a four-string. I could pass it up for the price and was tired of not having a bass. Good times. String spacing and scale is a tad uncomfortable cuz my hands aren't that big, but it's a good stretching exercise that doesn't cause me pain, and 6-string guitar is a breeze afterwards.

Most basses are 34" scale, but there are shorter scale options available.  And then you have this hybrid doohickey!

Ibanez SRC6 Crossover

“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 04:25:08 PM »
It's just the scale combined with the string spacing that got me. I've played four-strings that have closer string-gaps, and I've played a shorter scale one too that was pretty nice. Actually the first bass i played was a short-scale called "the Shredder" :o lol

But i enjoy it. It's good exercise, and i like being able to throw my hands around. Also slapping. ^.^

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 08:32:55 AM »
I can barely play a four string as I cut my teeth on 5 and 6-string basses. Your pre/amp rig oughta sound great though. I wish I would have kept my GB Shuttle 9.2 and ShuttleMax 9.2 I miss them now lol.

I got a 9.2 Max new for $550 just as GB was going down.. I already had a SL900 but I couldn't pass it up.. I love that GB stuff..

I started on a 4 string way back in 197*! LOL. I got used to playing a lot of funk on a 4 string and it's so much easier to slap on. I don't really like slapping on my 5 string to be honest. And most of the gigs I do play on is mostly old school stuff that was originally played on a 4 string. I play my 5 string for modern stuff and jazz. A 5 is still great if you have to transpose stuff down on the fly. I did a gig not too long ago and we played a tune that was normally in F and they did brought it all they way down to C. Good thing I had my 5 with me.

Glad to see you found that mojo... ;) .. and BTW... I am sold on Lakland thanks in part to you. 

I literally had a four string bass for maybe a year before I bought my first 5 string....a year after that I'd bought a six string. Going back to a four string now is difficult. I can play them, but I'm too used to the wider necks of 5/6-string basses. I do like how you can hold a note on the E or A strings with your thumb and play chords and melodies a la Reggie Parker...can't really do that well on my Cirrus 6er lol.

Most of the songs we play  require a low B string. We'll play in F or Ab sometimes...depending on who the singer is and how they are feeling that day lol.

I tried a 6 for a hot minute but it just wasn't for me.. I traded it for a fretless Cirrus. My chops aren't there and it is just too much real estate for me to be trying to navigate. For me those 5s are the sweet spot. I have two 4s.. a 78 Jazz that I got new from Alex Axe .. still have the reciept. My first real bass.. so I will probably never sell it.. and a Breedlove 4 string ABG. All the rest are 5s..
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline phbrown

• LGM Member
  • Google Fiber

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 01:03:02 AM »
I've only had a 5 string my entire life however part of me wants to get a four string just to force into different patterns

right now I try to go up an octave sometimes instead of going to my B string just to get a different feel/sound for a song

sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't just depends.

Also turn arounds look like they are more fun on a four string but alas i haven't tried.

Offline superjaay

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Real Black Power Ranger

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
I been playing a 5 string bass almost exclusively for about five years. Two years ago I got a phenomenal deal on an exceptional handmade bass (Clifford Roi) but it' s a 4 string. I am ashamed that I can never get comfortable enough to play it out on gigs. The sound quality of the instrument is unbelievable, but I spoiled by the SB5000. I guess my Roi will remain in pristine condition.
Rest?, Rest when you're dead!!! Right now there's work to be done.

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 03:50:31 PM »
Most basses are 34" scale, but there are shorter scale options available.  And then you have this hybrid doohickey!

Ibanez SRC6 Crossover

This is the one I have, but a 5-string.  I've become accustomed to the feel.  I want the 4-string version, but I thought it would crazy to have to the same brand in more than one string.  But I am still thinking about it.

Offline stix_clgi

• LGM Member
    • My Youtube Page

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 06:46:10 PM »
I got a 9.2 Max new for $550 just as GB was going down.. I already had a SL900 but I couldn't pass it up.. I love that GB stuff..

I tried a 6 for a hot minute but it just wasn't for me.. I traded it for a fretless Cirrus. My chops aren't there and it is just too much real estate for me to be trying to navigate. For me those 5s are the sweet spot. I have two 4s.. a 78 Jazz that I got new from Alex Axe .. still have the reciept. My first real bass.. so I will probably never sell it.. and a Breedlove 4 string ABG. All the rest are 5s..

Yeah, I've been thinking about selling my Eden and picking up something smaller and lighter. I have a Kustom KXB500 which actually uses the same exact ICE module that the GB Shuttle's use, and it sounds phenomenal! I bought it for like $150 a few years ago before everyone jumped on the bandwagon and drove the prices back up lol. I'm thinking about the TecAmp stuff now.

I stick with 5's and 6's now. My Brubaker is going to be a six string, and then I'll save up for another Jazz style custom 5er, prolly another Brubaker lol. That 78 Jazz has to be nice, and worth a pretty penny too!

Offline SavnBass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Saved by GRACE .. Bass by choice

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 11:20:30 PM »
Yeah, I've been thinking about selling my Eden and picking up something smaller and lighter. I have a Kustom KXB500 which actually uses the same exact ICE module that the GB Shuttle's use, and it sounds phenomenal! I bought it for like $150 a few years ago before everyone jumped on the bandwagon and drove the prices back up lol. I'm thinking about the TecAmp stuff now.

I stick with 5's and 6's now. My Brubaker is going to be a six string, and then I'll save up for another Jazz style custom 5er, prolly another Brubaker lol. That 78 Jazz has to be nice, and worth a pretty penny too!

Yeah tat Kustom is a nice head... I heard one through a Glasstone cab from a bass playing Saxman I know in Landover.. It sounded great. Very simple.. very light. Very nice!!
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2014, 07:06:06 AM »
i only dabble in bass, and mine is a four-string. Jam session this Thanksgiving was the first time where I encountered a song and was like "Hmmm... this would be easier on a 5-string".

Hmmm...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up