LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gospel Guitar  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

Gospel Guitar
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:21:26 AM »
I saw another long discussion on this matter but decided to start my own thread on this. I think Gospel Music is too difficult to define. So I'll leave that alone. I will attempt in my own humble way, what Gospel Guitar is. First a little back story...

I was born into Ministry, my father is a Pastor he and my mother started out in a store front maybe 3 years before I was born. When I was nine my brother and I were thrown to the wolves (I was to play the keyboard and he was to play the drums and our older sisters were to sing).

Fast forward to age 18 I started playing guitar around the house for fun with no intention of playing it in church (I was too scared). After learning the cowboy chords and power chords and Pentatonic Scale I thought I was the man! Years later when I was 25/26 I started trying to play in church and found that it's just NOT HAPPENING.

Luckily a long time family friend who would soon become one of my sisters husband took me under his wing. Now at 29 I'm able to hold down services but I have a long way to go and a lot to learn! Luckily, I have a mentor that's guiding me every step of the way!

In my studies I've come to the conclusion that Gospel Guitar 8s comprised of these styles: Blues, Jazz, Funk, Soul, R&B, Country, and Rock (in some cases straight up Metal). Somebody said that Gospel isn't a style, I respectfully disagree it's certainly a style. Whenever I hear the phrase, "Gospel Guitar" I immediately think: Spanky Alford, Dr Jonathan Dubose Jr., Jairus Mozee, Erick Walls, Chris Payton, and Jabari Johnson. All of these Guitarists borrow heavily from the aforementioned styles listed just go to YouTube and you'll hear similarities in all of their playing with their own "watermark" stamped into it.

This is just my opinion on what Gospel Guitar is, I this will start a meaningful conversation here as I hope to make new friends and to learn something from Veterans in field! God Bless!
"You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never give up a good thing."

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Re: Gospel Guitar
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:41 PM »
Gospel music is a very diverse style that features several sub-genres as well.  That being the case, I would say that gospel guitar is whatever the moment calls for.  Contemporary gospel, at least to my ears, still by and large has a sound of its own, but there are some examples that are so modern, the lyrics are the only thing that separates it from mainstream music.  I'll also add that there are people who enjoy gospel as an art form but yet have not received the Lord Jesus in their hearts.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:10:34 PM »
I like how you put it funkstrat! You have a lot of wisdom! Man... not to be cheesy but I'm glad I found an online community like this, I hope this forum is really active or am I dreaming? lol

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »
I like how you put it funkstrat! You have a lot of wisdom! Man... not to be cheesy but I'm glad I found an online community like this, I hope this forum is really active or am I dreaming? lol

Well; back in the good old days this entire board was a hotbed of activity.  Unfortunately, things have cooled down considerably.  I don't know if it's because of social media, life, or a mass abduction of super active LGM'ers, but suffice it to say that these forums are a lot less active than they once were.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:27:31 AM »
Yeah I figured by the look of things... Oh well, "where two or three are gathered..." lol but really I thought there would be more going on on this forum it's a genius idea especially since there isn't many institutions teaching Gospel as a discipline, we kind of rely on each other you know?

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:19:03 AM »
Maybe this forum has amassed so much information that nobody can think of anything else to add that isn't already here, so it kinda fizzled out, hehe. You know something is off when the Guitar section is the most active instrument section on the board in the last 2 years, lol

Edit: Also, most of the "activity" is spambots these days :/
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"

Offline Jonnyboyprime

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:16 PM »
That's too funny ;D but yeah you make a great point!

Offline SketchMan3

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • In the "Gran Mountain..."

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:46:24 PM »
On-topic, I think you summed it up pretty nicely. Although gospel guitar borrows from many genres, that goulash has its own flavor.
... lies the entrance to "Garloz"
Pages: [1]   Go Up