LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still dont understand  (Read 2530 times)

Offline Bahamas

• LGM Member

Still dont understand
« on: November 07, 2003, 06:40:33 PM »
Hey bboy am ok..........but u dont really understand........the problem is i dont get notes how much there worth, chords, triads, i dont know my major or minor scales. Just lately i took a grade 1 theroy exam and it was easy b/c i was familiar with the stuff but on the other hand i couldnt do it b/c i didnt know my note valves, or my rest things like that. I've prayed and ask God continually to give me divine wisdom and understanding and i've tried 2 feel the music, but am still not getting it.. I hate music classes and am failing it.............

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Still dont understand
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 08:01:38 PM »
I see. Hmmmm . . . I am new to this site, but I know there are a lot of people who could help you; seasoned musicians that know theory as well as have tons of practical playing experience. But maybe you should be a bit more patient with yourself and a bit more specific . . . what, exactly, do you want to know? For instance, reading music is very important, but is a different type of mental process . . . when you play written music, you are only interpreting what the arranger / writer has already given. (I imagine this is what you are referring to b/c you referred to "rests" which are nothing more than pauses in a line of music . . . just like quarter notes, there are quarter rests; just like there are eight notes, we have eigth rests; whole notes and whole rests; etc.) "Picking up" music is a different type of process . . . you learn theory basically to support what you develop your ear to hear, so that you can repeat the same effect in different keys. Both are important and both will help you become a more "rounded" musician.  So again I ask . . . are you talking about improving your ability to play by written music; or your ability to listen and play what you hear? But be patient . . . anyone can tell you it takes time and much work. . . . Let us know how we can help, and don't get frustrated . . . and Be Blessed . . .  8) BBoy
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

also
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »
i just want to add, that it will take a whole lot of initiative from you!!!!!!!!! a lot......your the one who has to practice untireingly.... ( is that a word ) lol, anyhoo, you have to be relentless in your learning....its not going to be handed to ya!!!!!......and if you quit.....so- what! peopel will figure you dont want it! so hang in there!!!!!! its up to you!!      gieres!!!!!
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up