LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perfect Pitch. Do You Have it???  (Read 2890 times)

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Perfect Pitch. Do You Have it???
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 09:34:49 AM »
I trained myself to have relative pitch...I used to wish I had perfect pitch, but realized its not everything because there are musicians who have it, but aren't skilled enough on how to use it and even non-musicians who never use it, and singers. I have been told that perfect pitch can be learned...

As it stands right now its more of an opinion, not proven one way or the other...

General reference...Wikipedia, I know not the best resource, but some general info on subject below...

Absolute pitch, or perfect pitch, is "the ability to identify the frequency or musical name of a specific tone, or, conversely, the ability to produce some designated frequency, frequency level, or musical pitch without comparing the tone with any objective reference tone, i.e., without using relative pitch.

Many people have believed that musical ability itself is an inborn talent. Some scientists currently believe absolute pitch may have an underlying genetic basis and are trying to locate genetic correlates; most believe that the acquisition of absolute pitch requires early training during a critical period of development, regardless of whether or not a genetic predisposition toward development exists.

The "unlearning theory," has recently been revived by developmental psychologists who argue that every person possesses absolute pitch (as a mode of perceptual processing) when they are infants, but that a shift in cognitive processing styles (from local, absolute processing to global, relational processing) causes most people to unlearn it; or, at least, causes children with musical training to discard absolute pitch as they learn to identify musical intervals.

An unequivocal resolution to the ongoing debate would require controlled experiments that are both impractical and unethical.

Researchers have been trying to teach absolute pitch ability for more than a century, and various commercial absolute-pitch training courses have been offered to the public since the early 1900s. It has been shown possible to learn the naming of tones later in life, although some consider this skill not to be true absolute pitch. Although it has been shown possible to learn to identify pitches, keys, and everyday sounds later in life, no training method for adults has yet been shown to produce abilities comparable to naturally occurring absolute pitch.

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:10 AM »
Me not being technical with the answer to this question but "yes" I do have the gift of perfect pitch!
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »
Me not being technical with the answer to this question but "yes" I do have the gift of perfect pitch!

Me having heard your gift...I, not being technical, would say "yes" you do... :D

Offline trinatrine

• LGM Member
  • Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ....
    • The Trina Trine Music Site

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »
Me having heard your gift...I, not being technical, would say "yes" you do... :D
Awww, you are too sweet...LOL!  Love ya!
No matter what people say about you, know that God has a perfected plan for you!  Remain faithful!

Offline BimmerFan99

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »
Vic Wooten preaches that knowing your notes is like knowing your colors.  "There are only 12 of them," he says.

I think someone with the focus can train themselves to recognize notes and learn perfect pitch.  The human mind is capable of much more than most of us actually use it for.  Imagine the musical possibilities if we were to use just a 5% more of our brains than we use now...

Offline Bigbabymap

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2007, 10:04:05 PM »
hey, for all of the people with perfect pitch. lets experiment! think of a note and recall that note. now what did you think of that enabled you to recall that note and how did you know it was correct. write your thought process down. it is amazing that we all can identify the same notes and recall them but all find some unique quality about the notes.  for me, use to relate keys to songs, then as i started developing my ear the method or trigger still exsisted but i didn't think of it that way. so when i sing a C, mentally it is the center of all sound for me. that was the first note that i was taught and from that moment it became the center of all sound. i can identify cluster chords of up to 13 notes. by the way i have a pretty good ear training program if any one wants it. PM me and if theres enough request i'll post a link. its really only good for people with perfect pitch already!

Offline cas10a

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »
Vic Wooten preaches that knowing your notes is like knowing your colors.  "There are only 12 of them," he says.

I think someone with the focus can train themselves to recognize notes and learn perfect pitch.  The human mind is capable of much more than most of us actually use it for.  Imagine the musical possibilities if we were to use just a 5% more of our brains than we use now...

I understand you and him, and maybe it's possible, but "absolute/perfect pitch" goes above and beyond knowing 12 notes, it is more of knowing the frequency with nothing relative to guide you (e.g. being able to know an A @ 440Hz Exactly)...but like I said I understand what you are saying as far as the possibilities...

Offline amandaag

• LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2007, 01:19:37 PM »
alot of my musician friends say i have perfect pitch, so i pretty much do have it.

Offline MackyT5

• LGM Member
  • Lord give me strength, so i wont hurt nobody

« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2007, 09:24:43 PM »
ive had perfect pitch since i was a kid...thank God for the gift he bestowed on me
There's a blessing waitin to happen
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up