LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to learn to play chords and stepups for church  (Read 3011 times)

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

Need to learn to play chords and stepups for church
« on: May 09, 2005, 06:04:30 PM »
i just started playing a couple days ago with pretty much noone to show me how lol so would any of you show me what to do or show me where to go to learn how to play in the background for church?

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

ok
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:03:07 PM »
a  question..

what other instruments are you playing with?

ususally the pianist can show you their left hand....and you follow that.

I have a nice beginner bass video and a funk bass video also

http://uriahsmusic.com/VIDEOPAGE%20V2.htm

also check out all the free riffs I post here...look at the first post up top!

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

well
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:18:41 PM »
i also play the regular guitar and im not bad at that...
but want i want to know is how do i follow along with people as there playing like just regular songs like out of the hymn book...

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 09:11:46 PM »
If they're playing straight, like from a hymn book, then you don't want to do anything fancy. Just stick to the basic notes.

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

well
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 09:18:19 PM »
i dont know how to read music...
i dont know any chordes on the bass or the regular guitar i just know how to play certain songs, i want to learn how to hear what i need to play

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

here ya go!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 05:18:27 PM »
go to search and plug in uriahsmusic

look fo any posts that say bass w/backup  and posts that say basslines to popular chord progression

you will see me actually play to chord changes and that can help you get your ear together!

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

well
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2005, 06:17:05 PM »
i just dont understand how to know what to play when im supposed to lol and what is what lol i have no idea what im doing i havnt been taught anything

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

wowzer!
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 07:53:21 AM »
..one of the best things that you can do is listen to music and try to identify the bass part in the music. Listen for the bass and hear what the bass is actually doingin the recording. This way you will know what you are expected to do.

Until you get a little practice in...it may be difficult to just start playing!

once you get an idea of what your part should sound like you can maybe record the church service and take the tape home and practice with the singing portions until you get a feel for it.

keep in mind that though we try to make this as easy as possible...the road to success can be long!...dont be afraid to put the necesary time in to get good at what you are trying to do.  Some things just take time...and shouldn't be rushed!

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 04:13:49 PM »
well i understand what your saying but...

just like the guitarest can be told what key to play in and play the right chordes i want to be able to do something like that

Offline tdan

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
On specific songs, especially ones that you play a lot, you also might want to see if someone has tabbed the hymn.  There are internet bass tab recourses available. The thing you have to watch out for there, is that some people play the same song in different keys.

Offline insanesquirle

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 06:16:42 PM »
lol well yeh but we just pick random songs out of the hymn book so idk what song is going ot be played... alot of the songs i dont know...

Offline BACEFINGERS

• LGM Member

Re: ...
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2005, 11:14:47 PM »
Quote from: insanesquirle
well i understand what your saying but...

just like the guitarest can be told what key to play in and play the right chordes i want to be able to do something like that
The guitarist must know his chords in order to play the rythym for the song.  You won't be able to follow what the head musician is telling you to play if you don't know your notes on the fretboard and how they work together.
I don't play bass, my bass plays me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up