LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekend Shed....September 14th  (Read 1312 times)

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

Weekend Shed....September 14th
« on: September 14, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
Well, you know it is time for me to do what I do....God has brought us through another week. Some of us will be playing at different events so I want to ask the Lord to Bless those who will..."Father God, we thank you and praise you for your blessing and allowing us to live through another week, we thank YOU for the talents, dedication and ability to play such a wonderful instrument unto you. We pray that the music we play will be a sweet sound unto YOUR ears. We ask that you will Bless those who will be playing at various functions and various styles of music and that it will be a learning and growing experience for each individual. From the East Coast to the West Coast please anoint each bass, string, hand, fingers, eyes and ears. We thank YOU and Praise YOU in the name of JESUS CHRIST...AMEN...

I have this sunday off but will be playing with one of the local community mass choirs at a musical tomorrow...Be Blessed!!

"Now go forth and thump in the Name of Jesus!!!

Peace!!
May God's Grace & Mercy smile upon you!

Offline gambit23435

• LGM Member
  • http://myspace.com/bassin4god
    • Bassin 4 God

Re: Weekend Shed....September 14th
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:11:30 PM »
AMEN  :)
"A great guitar player is a great guitar player. A great bass player is a great musician"

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 02:25:03 PM »
Today I was  blessed to play while my 12-year-old son led a song, "Sign Me Up For The Christian Jubilee."

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 08:38:21 PM »
today was half and half.
this morning service we jammed and rocked. people say i was killin on the bass when they looked over and saw me. we was rockin.

this afternoon - a total disaster.
the praise team decides to do songs and not tell the musicians so nobody knows what the heck they doing, especially if you gonna sing a new or original song. and my personal opinion is its embarrassing when you invite guests to a program and you have people on the program who are members in the church and you gotta tell the audience to "clap like this" when you got a drummer plus 2 other musicians lookin at you with blank stares because they dont know what you're doing.
but the thing that blew me up was for the girls choir (it was "little women's day") there were two songs to do. i showed up to 5 rehearsals and went over the songs with them (just me on the bass) and the other 2 musicians didnt even bother to learn the song. (mind u i'm up every night going over it) so we go to play and its a disaster because they dont know what to do. the drummer didnt even know which was worse because since they're little children their timing is off sometimes without the drums. they were supposed to sing 2 songs but after the first song was done i put my bass down and walked off. i was pissed because i put in the effort alone. i had to apologize to the coordinators and i was sorry i abandoned the kids who were innocent, but i couldnt play in the state/spirit that i was in.

i was totally disgusted. ya'll keep me up in prayer. these are the times when you wanna just say why bother and quit.
For my God... let "Golden Axe" prevail.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 10:00:44 PM »
Today I was  blessed to play while my 12-year-old son led a song, "Sign Me Up For The Christian Jubilee."

Amen! Now that is what it is all about..He didn't have to tell you to keep up with him did he?  :D

That is great...I know dad was proud. Those are moments that you cherish and thank God for. 

That is what the "Weekend Shed" is about...

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:09:44 PM »
today was half and half.
this morning service we jammed and rocked. people say i was killin on the bass when they looked over and saw me. we was rockin.

the praise team decides to do songs and not tell the musicians so nobody knows what the heck they doing, especially if you gonna sing a new or original song. and my personal opinion is its embarrassing when you invite guests to a program and you have people on the program who are members in the church and you gotta tell the audience to "clap like this" when you got a drummer plus 2 other musicians lookin at you with blank stares because they dont know what you're doing.
but the thing that blew me up was for the girls choir (it was "little women's day") there were two songs to do. i showed up to 5 rehearsals and went over the songs with them (just me on the bass) and the other 2 musicians didnt even bother to learn the song. (mind u i'm up every night going over it) so we go to play and its a disaster because they dont know what to do. the drummer didnt even know which was worse because since they're little children their timing is off sometimes without the drums. they were supposed to sing 2 songs but after the first song was done i put my bass down and walked off. i was pissed because i put in the effort alone. i had to apologize to the coordinators and i was sorry i abandoned the kids who were innocent, but i couldnt play in the state/spirit that i was in.

i was totally disgusted. ya'll keep me up in prayer. these are the times when you wanna just say why bother and quit.

Don't feel bad my brother, Satan is hard at work and what better way for him to try and show God up than to mess with the "children" which is God's pride and joy. The neat thing about bass is that you can play all by your self and hold it down..Next time, simply say to the musicians, "since you guys didn't bother to come to practice or learn the songs I think it would be better for me to go ahead and hold it down". Now they won't like it but unless you are someone who can just come in a play after hearing it for the first time then you need sit down. If I don't know a song,  I am not going to sit there and fumble with it. If I don't have the changes on the first time around I sit back and clap my hands and support in a different way. I must admit, our MOM has us prepared each and every week. We have musicians practice before the choir practices and then sometimes we will practice after choir rehearsal and then he has us at the church on sunday at 8:15am for his "perfected practice". If you don't make at least one of the practices you don't play or sing. He calls us throughout the week to see if we have any questions about the music and if we need to come by his office to work on it we can at anytime. We are blessed that our MOM is fulltime staff so he is always at church during the daytime.

Trust me, satan is trying hard to keep us all from praising God with our instruments, talents and hard work.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 10:28:46 PM »
Amen! Now that is what it is all about..He didn't have to tell you to keep up with him did he?  :D

That is great...I know dad was proud. Those are moments that you cherish and thank God for. 

That is what the "Weekend Shed" is about...

He didn't have to tell me to keep up but I watched my fingers the whole time...I couldn't even look at him.  I was really proud because he has a lot of poise for a 12-year-old.  He plays a little piano and drums as well.  We are truly blessed.

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 10:34:40 PM »
today was half and half.

I know that your day was frustrating but don't quit.  Sometimes we have to set the example.  In the end your professionalism and your commitment will be pleasing in God's sight, and He will bless you for it.  We all have days like that.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 12:17:59 AM »
I had a day off today but I played last night at a musical. It was really good, but a little long. Every group was supposed to do an A & B selection but some did C, D & E! Then we had to hear about 4 sermonettes...so a program that started a 6pm well 6:10pm ended at 10pm.....It was good though because there were 5 other bassists...some I knew and some I didn't. It was great because we all ended up comparing basses, etc. It was good also in the fact that a couple of the ones I knew I met about 6 years ago when I first started playing and they gave me several great compliments that really made me feel like my hard work is paying off. It is nice when church members tell you how good you were but when your own peers hear the little things that you do and give you positive feedback it really makes a difference. Most of these guys were young also (20's)..I am in my 40's..(late bloomer  ;D).

We had some Ibanezes in the house, a Schecter or two and the baddest cat had a special made fender, marroon with gold hardware and he had it strung B,E,A,G.....We had a blessed time and gave each other support...It was funny because people kept asking me did I know these guys and I said why? They were like you guys act like you know each other and just bonded...I said that is the style of the bassist...we don't trip like other musicians do...When each one hit a lick or did a run, etc. the rest of us were on our feet giving praise and support...hearing the chords, or plucks or syncapation grooves was great.....

The best part was that there were some groups that didn't have a bass player so some of us took turns playing for one of them if we knew the song and the groups really appreciated that and seemed to get into their own songs more once the bass lines started grooving.....Like I said once before, a song without  the bass is like eating catfish with no hot sauce!

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »
I had a day off today but I played last night at a musical. It was really good, but a little long. Every group was supposed to do an A & B selection but some did C, D & E! Then we had to hear about 4 sermonettes...so a program that started a 6pm well 6:10pm ended at 10pm.....It was good though because there were 5 other bassists...some I knew and some I didn't. It was great because we all ended up comparing basses, etc. It was good also in the fact that a couple of the ones I knew I met about 6 years ago when I first started playing and they gave me several great compliments that really made me feel like my hard work is paying off. It is nice when church members tell you how good you were but when your own peers hear the little things that you do and give you positive feedback it really makes a difference. Most of these guys were young also (20's)..I am in my 40's..(late bloomer  ;D).

We had some Ibanezes in the house, a Schecter or two and the baddest cat had a special made fender, marroon with gold hardware and he had it strung B,E,A,G.....We had a blessed time and gave each other support...It was funny because people kept asking me did I know these guys and I said why? They were like you guys act like you know each other and just bonded...I said that is the style of the bassist...we don't trip like other musicians do...When each one hit a lick or did a run, etc. the rest of us were on our feet giving praise and support...hearing the chords, or plucks or syncapation grooves was great.....

The best part was that there were some groups that didn't have a bass player so some of us took turns playing for one of them if we knew the song and the groups really appreciated that and seemed to get into their own songs more once the bass lines started grooving.....Like I said once before, a song without  the bass is like eating catfish with no hot sauce!

Sounds like a good time was had by all.  I too am in my 40's, have only been playing for just under three years, and it's great to meet and fellowship with other bassists.  I live in a much smaller city than the Dallas area and most of us have to play every Sunday so we don't get to see each other play.

We were at a program last weekend that ran so long by the time it was our turn they were only asking for an "A" selection (a little frustrating when groups before you did an "A", a "B", and then some).  And I have been in places where I played along with other churches.  God has blessed me to be able to pick up keys and know enough about progressions to contribute something.

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:36:12 AM »
You know, God has a way of making things work out...Playing every sunday means you get alot of "Reps"...LOL!!

I would have loved to have begun playing in my teens. who knows how far I would be now, but I am glad that I am playing now and having alot of fun...

Offline dhagler

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 01:52:42 PM »
You know, God has a way of making things work out...Playing every sunday means you get alot of "Reps"...LOL!!

I would have loved to have begun playing in my teens. who knows how far I would be now, but I am glad that I am playing now and having alot of fun...
Amen to that.

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »
Trust me, satan is trying hard to keep us all from praising God with our instruments, talents and hard work.

most definitely, especially since i've been working to try and get some changes made in the music department. i couldve played by myself, and kind of in essence i was but in rehearsal i did play by myself and we did need at least the drummer for them to hear the timing. all in all im trying to stay focused.

I know that your day was frustrating but don't quit.  Sometimes we have to set the example.  In the end your professionalism and your commitment will be pleasing in God's sight, and He will bless you for it.  We all have days like that.

thanks d for the encouragement. i do hope it is pleasing to God, because thats who im trying to please

It is nice when church members tell you how good you were but when your own peers hear the little things that you do and give you positive feedback it really makes a difference.
we dont get many bass players in, so a couple of sundays ago when there was one i was mad nervous. and unfortunately on sundays mornings when im jammin theres nobody there to hear, but when we get musicians who can appreciate a bass player, thats when we have our disasters like sunday.

im only in my 26 but i totally understand how you guys feel about being a late starter because a lot of musicians i see around really going at it are young, some teenagers and the ones my age and a bit older have like 10 years under their belt. I was talking to another musician and he explained it simply: it was Gods plan that you started when you did, because if you started playing earlier you might be somewhere else doing other things rather than playing for God

Offline Quebass86

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 12:14:03 AM »
Floaded you are so right....God had his plan..I played the trumpet for 20 years and that provided a nice foundation for me musically. It has shortend my learning curve and gave me the heads up on being able to read music. I am happy and thankful that I have had this opportunity. Keep your head up and your heart in it...God will continue to Bless you. These tough moments that we go through only prepare us for greater things....I would rather play one note that was pleasing to God than a whole jammin solo that He is displeased with...I remember one time when I was the only musician at practice and instead of plaing the bass I beat on it to give it that bass drum feel so the choir could feel that rythm...again, the bass is foundation.....LOL!!

Offline floaded27

• LGM Member
    • MySpace Profile

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
i do that sometimes. when im in the church by myself like before service or bible study i fiddle around on the drums to work on my percussion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up