LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Producer/Engineer/et all  (Read 2323 times)

Offline gospodruma

• LGM Member
  • gospodruma/BoLu
    • gospodruma

Producer/Engineer/et all
« on: May 21, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »
Well, I've got a question. Can anyone kindly please tell me wat exactly the job of a Producer is? What is required of him or her? What abt an engineer? What older pple are used in the studio and live recording and production? Wat are/is xpected of them. Thanxs for your help.
2 B A MUSICIAN IS MY AIM; 2 GLORIFY GOD, MY DREAM!
http://gospodruma.hi5.com

Offline slsmith1913

• LGM Member

Producer/Engineer/et all
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2005, 04:47:18 PM »
PRODUCER

Well a producer is normally hired by a record company to oversee the entire creative process. The producer's CAN include but not be limited to;

Finding a suitable studio
Finding session musicans (if needed)
Finding BGVs
Finding engineer
STAYING WITHIN AVALIABLE BUDGET

- Because most producers receive royalties from albums sold (called points), this is a very important role.

A few Producer misconceptions;

The Producer is the one who makes the beats (this happens often, but not always)
The producer writes the music (again can happen, but not always)
The producer funds the project (usually the producer receives money from the record company, depending on the staus of the artist, which is included in the artists' advance to fund the recording process.)

ENGINEER

The engineer (audio engineer) is responsible for the technical aspect of the recording process. In a studio there is typically a Chief Engineer, Assistant Engineers, Equipment Techs, and larger studios employ software specific engineers.

The chief engineer is in charge of these operations. The producer will give creative instructions to the engineer, and he will translate them into technical output. GOOD PRODUCERS have knowlege of audio equipment, electronics, and basic signal flow. Assistant engineers will normally set up, break down recording gear, clean tape machines, and what most don't like go and pick up food. Not an easy process to go through. The engineer will record the project or selected songs by the producer and then hand an unmixed version to the producer.

The producer then will find an mixing engineer to mix the album, the also find a mastering engineer (ex. Chaz Harper - Battery Studios NYC). Mastering is the final step in the recording process. Mastering matches the levels of all the songs collectively and does fade in/outs and in todays music, compresses the mess out of it.

Enough talk for now. Just hit me back up if you need anymore info.

Offline FlashMike

• LGM Member

Producer/Engineer/et all
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2005, 09:37:35 PM »
A God send you are. To pick you a little further. Does the Producer takes on any responsibilites as far as filling out paper work (copyrights and its assignments, etc...)

Offline slsmith1913

• LGM Member

Producer/Engineer/et all
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 07:32:54 PM »
Sorry about taking so long to reply.

Normally the writer or his publisher will be responsible for copyright issues. But yet again every situation is different. Of course if there is a time where copyright issues haven't been taken care of, then the producer should see to it that it gets done.

Hit me up
Pages: [1]   Go Up