LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Compressing  (Read 2353 times)

Compressing
« on: May 25, 2005, 09:24:14 AM »
I am running a studio that is at my church- but I own pretty much all of the gear and I do all the recording/mixing/producing. I was wondering how to effectively run compressors/compress the final mixes that we produce. I have a few different compressors built into some of the recording gear (i.e. Tascam 2488) but what are good settings or what are the names of other things we should try to get (i.e. racks, modules, computer based, etc.)

Thanks, West

Offline slsmith1913

• LGM Member

Compressing
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 04:21:16 AM »
What I do want to say is don't over-compress. Some settings that I would use might go like this;

Band (all of these examples depend on the musician & there ability to control their dynamics)

Drums- I almost always put a compressor on my kick and snare (never on overheads. I use about a 3:1 ratio (for every 1db over the threshold, the signal is reduced by 3db) with about 4 db of reduction.

***One Quick note about compressors***
What I see many people do when using compressors actually defeats the purpose of it, and that is after setting a ratio, they don't properly set the makeup gain to nominal. Nominal is basically operating at the best level between a piece of gear and the board. (0db) What that does is covers up the noise floor, and at the same time keeps the signal from distorting. When you here tapes, and a lot of his, that is because the gain isn't at nominal.

Enough talk-back to the settings

Bass (Extremely dependent on player, especially during slapping)
4:1 - 6:1 ratio with about 4db-6db gain reduction

Piano - I don't use compressors

Organ - No compressor

Vocals - Normally put one on the lead vocals with a 2:1 - 3:1 ratio and a 3db reduction.

On your final stereo mixes, the style of song is the main factor. In todays music, (refering to the radio and CD's) our ears have become accustomed to smashed mixes (A LOT A COMPRESSION). But if you pop in a jazz or classical cd, you'll see a difference. So basically on your slow cuts, be gental.

Here are a list of some compressors I recommend;

DBX 160 (or just about any dbx compressor) they make about 50
the infamous LA-2A (very expensive but I promise you will recognize the warm sound it gives when you use it. Hard to find.

Hit me up with anything else.

Offline JoashStilltheman

• LGM Member

Re: Compressing
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:54:14 AM »
How about in studio mixes...will these settings work fine?
Joash....still the man

Offline themidiroom

• LGM Member
  • A genius at work?
    • TMR Studio

Re: Compressing
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 01:01:17 PM »
How about in studio mixes...will these settings work fine?
No settings are going to work all the time.  You have to listen and adjust accordingly.  The idea is you don't want to hear the compression kicking in.  You want to maintain that natural sound.  That is unless you are using compression as an effect.
http://www.tmrstudio.com
Musical beauty is in the ears of the beholder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up