LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question For the "Drummers"  (Read 2002 times)

Question For the "Drummers"
« on: June 09, 2005, 11:02:32 AM »
Would it be an 'insult' to be called a 'drummer' & not a 'percussionist' if you have multiple skills in the percussion area?  I've always been taught that a drummer can only play one instrument, and a 'percussionist' is versitile in various instruments, styles, flavors, etc.

Offline MOEDRUMS

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 02:00:52 PM »
:?:  :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline gospodruma

• LGM Member
  • gospodruma/BoLu
    • gospodruma

Re: Question For the "Drummers"
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 04:00:28 PM »
Quote from: xljiccfa
Would it be an 'insult' to be called a 'drummer' & not a 'percussionist' if you have multiple skills in the percussion area?  I've always been taught that a drummer can only play one instrument, and a 'percussionist' is versitile in various instruments, styles, flavors, etc.
Well, a drummer is someone who plays drums..a percussion, someone who specializes in playin' percussion....a drummer is and could be versitile in various styles and flavors...juss like a percussionist...the difference bween both...in my own viewin, is dat u have the percussionist makin' the beats of a drummer sound fuller or even add more flavor to the music...hope dat helps
2 B A MUSICIAN IS MY AIM; 2 GLORIFY GOD, MY DREAM!
http://gospodruma.hi5.com

Offline InThePocket

• LGM Member
  • "Lord Annoint My Hands To Do Thy Service"

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 05:37:03 PM »
I really don't think that being called a drummer is an insult. I am both a drummer and percussionist. I am a percussion major at my college and receive classical training. I have found that not all percussionist have the coordination to be drummers and not all drummers have the theoritical background to be percussionist. I think that people have always perceived the drummer to be slow or stupid( just how people think), but us drummers know that's not the case.

Offline Dr_Bates

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 03:18:43 AM »
It's definitely not an insult to be called a drummer (I've been one since I came into this world). This whole concept of titles is quite interesting to me. See, I'm also classically trained to play all percussion instruments. So when I'm in a classical setting I'm a percussionist. Where I'm from, ina classical setting anyone who plays any percussion instrument whether it's marimbas, chimes, timpani or even the set is called a percussionist.

Now, outside of classical settings, the titles split and there people typically call you what they see you play. I play the sax, the keys, and the set in church, so I've been strictly associated with each individual instrument on different occasions. Thats when the all encompassing term musician comes into play. I had a conversation one day with a guy who said that I'm a musician and he's just a piano player, because he wasn't trained in to play the piano. But I was only trained in percussion, and I was playin' the set loooong before I learned to read for it.

So that goes to show that the terms are all relative. Either way  drummers AND/+ percussionists are the coolest cats there are...PERIOD. (ok...actually ALL musicians in the building of the Kingdom of Christ are the coolest)
Health, Wealth, and Peace of Mind.

Offline InThePocket

• LGM Member
  • "Lord Annoint My Hands To Do Thy Service"

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 11:01:46 AM »
Quote from: Dr_Bates
It's definitely not an insult to be called a drummer (I've been one since I came into this world). This whole concept of titles is quite interesting to me. See, I'm also classically trained to play all percussion instruments. So when I'm in a classical setting I'm a percussionist. Where I'm from, ina classical setting anyone who plays any percussion instrument whether it's marimbas, chimes, timpani or even the set is called a percussionist.

Now, outside of classical settings, the titles split and there people typically call you what they see you play. I play the sax, the keys, and the set in church, so I've been strictly associated with each individual instrument on different occasions. Thats when the all encompassing term musician comes into play. I had a conversation one day with a guy who said that I'm a musician and he's just a piano player, because he wasn't trained in to play the piano. But I was only trained in percussion, and I was playin' the set loooong before I learned to read for it.

So that goes to show that the terms are all relative. Either way  drummers AND/+ percussionists are the coolest cats there are...PERIOD. (ok...actually ALL musicians in the building of the Kingdom of Christ are the coolest)

Well said :!:
Pages: [1]   Go Up