LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sitting comfortably at drums  (Read 1026 times)

FerrariRed

Sitting comfortably at drums
« on: June 10, 2005, 09:38:32 PM »
I'm a 40 years of age, 5'11".  I've been playing for about 7 years and I love all the stuff you young cats are doing.  I want to learn how to do it all.  I have been struggling with finding a comfortable position for a couple of years.  I have set the throne high with the bass drum away and low with the bass drum close.  With the limited time I have to practice (I have two little girls), I want to get the full effect of my practice, but I feel very uncomfortable and can't seem to find a comfortable position.  I belive in my heart I can pull off some nice stuff, but I'm struggling with my positioning.

Any suggestions?

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 10:45:52 PM »
I seen on another website what somebody else suggested about being comfortable behind a kit. First, try "air-drumming". You should be mindful of where you are hitting your invisible drums. Think about how you're sitting. Where's your imaginary hihats, snare, cymbals, etc. Then try your best to set up your physical kit the way your imaginary kit is set up. I know this sounds unorthodox but believe me it'll make a world of difference. Don't worry how all the popular drummers got their drums set up. The important thing is making your drums comfortable for you or else you'll leave room for the enemy to discourage you from playing.
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline MOEDRUMS

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 01:39:30 PM »
YEA,LATELY I HAVE'NT REALLY BEEN COMFY BEHIND THE SET!!!!!!!!!!ESPECIALLY WHEN I GO TO A GIG,AND THEY CALL ON MY GROUP AND I GOT LIKE 1 MINUTE TO SET UP???????NO TIME TO ADJUST!!!!!!!!!!!!GUESS I CAN PRACTICE WHEN I AM HOME ON SETTING UP FAST?OR HAVE MY SNARE READY OUT OF THE CASE.

HammerRock

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 05:10:25 PM »
A big part is having a comfortable seat. Maybe that's why it's called a drum throne?

I have the one by TAMA that looks like a bicycle seat. Real comfy!.... although I wouldn't suggest it for napping!  :lol:
Pages: [1]   Go Up