LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: should I listen 4 the root note in the chord?  (Read 2860 times)

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

should I listen 4 the root note in the chord?
« on: December 03, 2003, 07:46:29 PM »
Im trying to teach myself to recognise minor chords, should I try and pickout the root of the chord. I can tell whether a chord is maj/minor or diminished.
Lord help me learn the piano.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Something...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003, 08:11:53 PM »
Something H-man taught me that cleared things up for me.  "Always" listen to the root because it will give you the progression.
:)

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

Re: Something...
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003, 08:15:34 PM »
Quote from: 4hisglory
Something H-man taught me that cleared things up for me.  "Always" listen to the root because it will give you the progression.

I agree w/Hammondman.  The root note and the melody note.  The melody note is usually part of the chord.  If you figure out the root and the melody note, there's 2 notes of a 3 note basic triad chord right there  :o Did you get those head phones and crank up the volume?  :wink:

Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

Re: Something...
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 06:11:18 PM »
Quote from: thekeynote
Quote from: 4hisglory

How will that happen?

I agree w/Hammondman.  The root note and the melody note.  The melody note is usually part of the chord.  If you figure out the root and the melody note, there's 2 notes of a 3 note basic triad chord right there  :o Did you get those head phones and crank up the volume?  :wink:

ok, how do u workout the melody note. If Im hearing a C7 chord, i should try and pick out the root which is C then what would the melody note be.

thanx peeps :lol:

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 08:20:04 PM »
LET'S TAKE A DOXOLOGY, JUVIE...(WHAT A NAME! THERE'S NOT A TESTIMONY IN THAT IS THERE?) ANYWAY, THE MELODY IS THIS, IN THE KEY OF C
E - GLO
E - RY
E - BE
E - TO
E - THE
E - FA
D - THER
C - AND
D - TO
G - THE
G - SON
G - AND
G - TO
A - THE
B - HO
A - LY
G - GHOST

NOW, THAT E NOTE(S) IN THE MELODY LINE WILL BE YOUR SOP. NOTE FOR THE KEY OF C: GCE, THE D IS YOUR MIN 2, AND THAT'S WHAT YOU'LL PLAY: FAD, THEN THE C: EGC, BACK TO THE MIN 2, THEN THE G, WHICH IS STILL THE C CHORD: CEG, WE'RE UP TO THE "TO" PART NOW.
THE A MELODY NOTE, YOU HAVE A CHOICE, EITHER THE MIN 2 OF C OR F, THE CHOICE IS UP TO YOU. THE B WILL BE THE G CHORD: DGB, THEN INSTEAD OF THE MINOR 2 YOU'LL PLAY THE MAJOR 2 FOR THE A: DGbA, THEN YOU'RE IN THE 5TH SCALE DEGREE WITH THE G MELODY NOTE: BDG.

READ THIS REALLY CAREFULLY, IT'S LAID OUT THERE FOR YOU...THIS IS PLAYING EVERY NOTE, NOT THE KEY POINTS. THE KEY POINTS OF THIS SONG WOULD BE:

1 / 1 = GLORY BE TO THE FA
2 / m2 - THER AND TO
5 / 1 - THE SON AND TO THE
2 / 5 - HO
b5 / M2 - LY
5 / 5 - GHOST

I HAVE A FEELING IN MY GUT THAT THIS WILL RAISE MORE QUESTIONS THAN ANSWERS??? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2003, 08:35:20 PM »
Im not really understading it. I shall email it to my future keyboard teacher and ask him to explain it to me. Im starting to feel like Im never going to be any good at this :oops:  :(

Thanx 4 all your help mate, godbless ya
Pages: [1]   Go Up