LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Minor scale number system  (Read 4841 times)

Offline c_will

• LGM Member
    • http://

Minor scale number system
« on: October 08, 2003, 08:27:35 PM »
I'm familiar with the major scale number system.
I IIm IIIm IV V VIm VII( dim) VIII

But what does this look like for a minor scale.???? The reason I ask is I asked our musician what key he was in and he answered Bbminor. I know this is basically the C#/Db scale running from Bb to Bb. But again I ask, what does it look like on a minor scale number system....  :? Thanks for any help offered. And if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill PLEASE correct me before I go to far.  :D  Thanks and God Bless.
God + 1 = The Majority

Offline youngenuff

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2003, 04:04:37 PM »
[I'm familiar with the major scale number system.

But what does this look like for a minor scale.???? The reason I ask is I asked our musician what key he was in and he answered Bbminor. I know this is basically the C#/Db scale running from Bb to Bb. But again I ask, what does it look like on a minor scale number system.... ]

Offline youngenuff

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2003, 04:06:54 PM »
I'm having a problem posting.  I will try to post later.

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

Re: Minor scale number system
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 11:48:45 AM »
Quote from: c_will
I'm familiar with the major scale number system.

But what does this look like for a minor scale.???? The reason I ask is I asked our musician what key he was in and he answered Bbminor. I know this is basically the C#/Db scale running from Bb to Bb. But again I ask, what does it look like on a minor scale number system....  :? Thanks for any help offered. And if I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill PLEASE correct me before I go to far.  :D  Thanks and God Bless.

It sounds like you are asking for a Diatonic Harmonized Scale (DHS) for a Minor key.  Functionally, Diatonic just means that all the notes in the harmony are from the scale being harmonized.  Heres the DHS for the Natural Minor scale (or Aeolian Mode):

i, iib5, III, iv, v, VI, VII7  (Uppercase means Major, Lowercase means minor).  

In the key of C that would be Cmin7, Dmin7b5, EMaj7, Fmin7, Gmin7, AMaj7 and B7.  

In its native key, this would be Amin7, Bmin7b5, CMaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, FMaj7 and G7.

This scale sounds great.  I do alot of soloing using the Natural minor and Phrygian mode scales.

- Hope this helps

Offline c_will

• LGM Member

Thank you
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 11:52:09 AM »
I appreciate your help. God Bless. I'll start practicing as soon as possible.
NATIVE KEY????? Is this the Phrygian scale that you are referring to??? I'm a beginner  :lol:
God + 1 = The Majority

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

Re: Thank you
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 12:25:25 PM »
Quote from: c_will
I appreciate your help. God Bless. I'll start practicing as soon as possible.
NATIVE KEY????? Is this the Phrygian scale that you are referring to??? I'm a beginner  :lol:

Don't trip, I made that (Native key) up. It just means the key the scale came from.  You know that to build a Major scale you just count steps from the root note ( R w w h w w w h)  right, C, whole step, D, whole steup, E, half step, F, whole step, G, whole step, A, whole step, B, half step C.  And that formula was created by counting the spaces between the white keys from C to C.  And that formula is used in 11 other Keys called Major keys, but it originated in the key of C so I call the key of C the Native key for the Major scale.

The Natural Minor or Aeolian Mode scale comes from all the white keys from A to A, so I call the key of A the Native key.

And about the Phrygian mode scale; it's all the white keys from E to E.  it has a latin feel to it.  Most of my guitar solos have a little bit of Phrygian mode in them.  Here's the Diatonic Harmonized Scale for the Phrygian mode:

i, II, III7, iv, vb5, VI, vii, in C thats Cmin7, DMaj7, E7, Fmin7, Gmin7b5, AMaj7, and Bmin7.  These also sound good together.  Try some standard progression (6251, 14151, etc) in Natural minor and Phrygian.

- James

Offline c_will

• LGM Member

Thank you
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 01:01:56 PM »
OK That'll work. I appreciate your time. God bless.
God + 1 = The Majority
Pages: [1]   Go Up