LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you decided on which type of chord you want to use?  (Read 1411 times)

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

how do you decided on which type of chord you want to use?
« on: July 11, 2005, 03:34:13 PM »
Some poeple say it's just a trial and error thing, but i was wondering how you guys going about decided on wether you're going to use a 7th, 9th, 11th, or 13th chord in your playing.  Is it just an acquired feel you get or is there more to it.  I maybe not voicing this question clearly, so please let me know if you don't know what I mean.
Somebody put me in the key of E#

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 05:46:54 PM »
44 views and no replies??? :?:

TTT

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:41:28 PM »
When i play, i don't think really plan to use a specific chord, i just play.  Now, i do know what chords I am playing cuz i am trained in theory, but i don't say something like, "maybe i will play a 13th chord here." i just play it cuz it sound good.  So basically, i play what works at that particular moment.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:42:55 PM »
Honestly...trial and error...most of the chords I do is from trial and error...they either fit or they don't
MERCY EN!!

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:20:03 PM »
Are you asking how to figure out chords for a song or how to add flavor to the chords that you already have?

When I learn a song I always listen for the bass or the root note. If I know the bass note I automatically know what chord I am going to play with that bass note.

Offline jeremyr

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Callowhill fanatic
    • My Youtube Chanel

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 03:18:15 PM »
Quote from: jonesl78
Are you asking how to figure out chords for a song or how to add flavor to the chords that you already have?

When I learn a song I always listen for the bass or the root note. If I know the bass note I automatically know what chord I am going to play with that bass note.

Either or.  I'm jus tryingto find out what makes some people decided to play a 13th chord instead of a 9th chord for an added flavor.  Do you guys associate a certain "mood" or "sound" with the type of chord and apply them accordingly or just play them sa T-block said.

Offline Luv2Praise

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I will hasten and not delay to obey your commands.

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
Quote from: jeremyr
Quote from: jonesl78

Either or.  I'm jus tryingto find out what makes some people decided to play a 13th chord instead of a 9th chord for an added flavor.  Do you guys associate a certain "mood" or "sound" with the type of chord and apply them accordingly or just play them sa T-block said.

For rthe most part, I go with the flow.  If I'm learning a song, I learn it as close to the CD or original as possible.  If I'm just sheding or "free flowing", then I don't really give it much thought.  I may use different inversions from time to time, but I don't consciously say "hmmm, let's make this a 9th or an 11th.   Now, an added 6th  :wink: or aug or dim, that's a different story.
"My peace I leave with you, My peace I give you. A peace which the world cannot give" ... John 14:27
Pages: [1]   Go Up