LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: . . . to be a Songwriter, Part II (Lets write a song).  (Read 3286 times)

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

. . . to be a Songwriter, Part II (Lets write a song).
« on: December 12, 2003, 01:52:59 AM »
Quote from: Juvenile
I want to start using the keyboard to write music, I read some where that I need to know my circle of keys inside out.

Quote from: jamesearljonesjr

ps:  What do you think about writing a song together right here in this forum?  We'll pick a common form, like ii, V7, I in C, pick a theme and start writing.  what do you think?

Quote from: Juvenile
yeah that sounds great, i have no idea of where to start please begin the first line.

Every song I write starts differently:  My songwriting process has 3 basic areas;  Melody, Harmony(chords) and Rythmn(.  The song can start in any of those areas.

Sometimes, I get inspired by a situation or a set of chord changes and jot down a couple of lyrics that later become the chorus of a new song.  From there I just work at pulling the rest of the song from the initial idea.  It can happen really quick or take a year, it really depends on the song.  My best songs were put together very quickly.

Alright.  Let's use a simple progression:[/b]

ii, V7, I[/size].  

ii, V7, I is good because it leaves a bunch of space for improvisation/embellishments, etc.

To keep it simple, I suggest we use the key of C as our official key.  So, you can work the song out in any key you want, but for the discussion, transpose everything back to C.   After we've worked out the changes and have a basic melody, we'll play it in every key and listen for new parts of the melody.  In the end it's depends on the singer anyway.  

Let's start with this rhythmn arrangement:

| Dmin7 / G7 / | CMaj7 / / / | Dmin7 / G7 / | CMaj7 / / / |
| Dmin7 / G7 / | CMaj7 / / / | Fmaj7/ Emin7| Dmin7/ / /  |
| CMaj7/  /  /   | CMaj7 / / / |

Thats :

1st bar: Dmin7 for 2 beats, G7 for 2 beats
2nd bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats
3rd bar: Dmin7 for 2 beats, G7 for 2 beats
4th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats.
5th bar: FMaj7 for 2 beats, Emin7 for 2 beats
6th bar: Dmin7 for 4 beats
7th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats
8th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats

Lets pull the melody from the 7ths of the chords we have so far:

the 7th in Dmin7 is C
the 7th in G7 is F
the 7th in CMaj7 is B

Try it like this;  C up to F then down to B.  Thats pretty good.  Now that we have a basic melody, we need a subject for the song.  How about Deliverance?

The Lyrics could start like this; "I (C)  am (F)  Changed (B)".  We could use this as the Chorus or the first line of a Verse.  Now that we have the base for our melody and our subject we can expand.  A good second line could be, "From(F) my(A)  Head(E)  down(C)  to(D) my(B) feet(C), then we resolve the lyrics with, " I(A) am(D) changed(B) again and resolve the Harmony by ending on the I chord (CMaj7).

Here is what we have so far:
(Melody notes in parenthesis)

1st bar: Dmin7 for 2 beats, G7 for 2 beats

I(C)  am(F)

2nd bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats

Changed(B),  

3rd bar: Dmin7 for 2 beats, G7 for 2 beats

I(C),  am(F)

4th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats.

Changed(B),  

5th bar: FMaj7 for 2 beats, Emin7 for 2 beats

From(F)  my(A)  Head(E),   down(C)   to(D)  my(B)

6th bar: Dmin7 for 4 beats

feet(C),  I(A) am(D)

7th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats

changed(B)

8th bar: CMaj7 for 4 beats

Juvenile (and anybody else interested),

Play around with this and  post whatever Ideas you have for the lyrics, melody, form or whatever.  I know the harmony is very basic but, this is just the starting point, we'll add the fill-ins, passing chords and other accents later.
----

ps: Juvenile, what is your real name?  I feel silly calling you Juvenile!!

- James.

Reference:
Harmonized scale for the key of C (CMaj7, Dmin7, Emin7, FMa7, G7, Amin, Bminb5)
[/i]

.[/quote]

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

So far..
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2003, 05:57:02 AM »
J,

Here's what it sounds like so far.
 It's a little high for me in C so I had to bring it down a step to Bb (which is still to high but definitely better).  When we finish, I'll probably record this in G or Ab.  The rythmn of this recording is a bit faster than I wanted because I was rushing to get this recorded before my children interrupted me again.

Here it is: http://geocities.com/jamesearljonesjr[/color] Click on LGMsong.mp3.  It under the Family and Friends heading.

If you have an problems getting this from the site, send me a message and I'll email a copy to you.

- James

Offline Willing

• LGM Member
    • http://www.geocities.com/iitim215wi

nice song
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2003, 09:56:44 AM »
God's Blessing james,

just to let youknow,  wav file are going to eat up your bandwidth and won't give people access.
you should make mp3 and then email them to people who want them
you have nice voice. if you need help make a mp3 let me know
1 God, 1 Love,  God's Love
First you must EMPTY your cup.

Offline Juvenile

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2003, 07:44:07 PM »
Hi James

My name is Daniel. I've been practising the song,  that F you hit was cool and soft you actually mixed it well, can you mix into head too, you seem to be okay negotiating your first bridge (Eb).

Ive learn so many things from reading just that one post and its answerd so many questions.

The way you took the melody from the 7th note of the chord, is that how most songwriters work?

How about if you using triads/9th/1th/13th chords?

Just today I was wondering how the melody of the lyrics can be in key with the harmony. Now I know.

I like the song, i want it finished so I can sing it next year, and play it.

please carry on as Im learning, I shall contribute when I feel like Im confident enough. you've got a cool voice too and a very soft & sensible approach 4 a gospel singer.

Ive just bought the "Chord progressions 4 songwriters book" I think that by the time I get thru it I shall be very familir with this, maybe I can even phone you one day and we write a song over the phone. The book is really indepth and covers almost everything that I read on this site posted by you big guns, not only that but it give examples of songs/exercise and advice on how you can use the theory to produce your own material. it also emphasis that you should practise every progression in all keys.
Lord help me learn the piano.

Offline Willing

• LGM Member
    • http://www.geocities.com/iitim215wi

juve
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 10:02:35 PM »
God's blessing daniel,

I shall contribute when I feel like Im confident enough.

you do not need about to worry about confident in here. we are all on family. and like all family brothers and sisters amongst each other.

but we are here to learn and teach each other. so if you got something to teach, teach it.  i know it will help someone.

now back to the song.

i did a midi of the song  following james wav file

http://www.geocities.com/iitim215wi/lgmsong1.mid
1 God, 1 Love,  God's Love
First you must EMPTY your cup.

Offline jamesearljonesjr

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 10:30:17 PM »
All,

This song was written right here in this forum to show how a song can be put together.  Please feel free to add to it, change, do your own version, etc.  When you are done, just post what you did so we can all learn from it.

- James

Pages: [1]   Go Up