LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THING YOU HATE MOST ABOUT PLAYING DRUMS???????  (Read 17486 times)

Spiritfingers

dude
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2005, 10:40:43 PM »
Yall drummerz are funny!  I'm tripping because I use to be a drummer.  Picked up the bass and didn't turn back but I use to hate the same trash.  I hate when people directly relate their level of adrinaline (not spelled right) to the temp of the sound.  I be wanting to tell them "Look joker, just cause you all hyped cause you get to lead a song, don't me that I'm off beat."

LilWes

THE THING YOU HATE MOST ABOUT PLAYING DRUMS???????
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2005, 10:16:35 PM »
yes thas what happens to me the organist trys to make meh look like im off beat

sry for the late answer hehe

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2005, 10:37:08 PM »
Playing where there is jacked up gear, B8, ZBT, ZXT, Alphas, PSTs, cymbals and cheap barely holding on snares) with a wobbly throne that is on the ground. i'd be happier with a milk crate and a box of newspapers as a kit  :lol: .

Some folk can't help it and some don't try. I have a problem with the not trying.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2005, 01:47:31 AM »
Lugging around gear is what I hate the most.

LilWes

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
dont u hate when u play a steady beat on the drums and all of a sudden the organist wants to speed it up real fast and trys to get another drummer that wasnt at the rehearsal to play ..... :evil:

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2005, 02:43:04 AM »
I hate it when you just HAD TO have the runs at the exact moment you start clickin off the set. :oops:  I'm talking sweating before you even layed down the tempo. :oops:  To the point where you start slowing down the song because you can't hold it in.  :oops:  

Also when your bassist comes in late after a HUGE break in the song and everybody thinks you're trippin.

Offline Krazy_afro_man

• LGM Member

« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2005, 08:59:03 AM »
The things that gets me is when i bring my cymbals to church and people mess around after service and beat on my aax's like there is NO tomorrow. I'm like man chill becuase i know if my cymbals break none of you guys are going to cough up any money to replace them. Also when people rearrange your set (i know people play differently) and don't atleast try to put it back to where it was. Also, when the praise and worship team/choir starts singing in the wrong note they want to look at the musicians like we are wrong. The keyboard, organ, and drums don't lie when it comes to the right key. Don't look at us lol im out!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2005, 11:31:18 AM »
Someone said it earlier on....and I have to AMEN it. I HATE 3/4 BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact I hate them so much, I dont play them like 3/4

Also, having a song leader that is not experienced is frustrating. You can establish the beat, and he will kick it up or slow it down, and then you look stupid!!! That is not cool.

God Bless.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2005, 11:51:18 AM »
Quote from: Eccentric-Rhythm
Someone said it earlier on....and I have to AMEN it. I HATE 3/4 BEATS!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact I hate them so much, I dont play them like 3/4

"Amazing Grace" is 3/4 time. You don't like that song? When you don't play those songs like 3/4, how does that work out for you? Actually, I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Please explain.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2005, 12:04:20 PM »
Yes. Amazing Grace is 3/4. But I do not play Snare Snare Bass Snare Snare Bass Snare Snare Bass. I will skip a snare beat, or substitute with a Bass beat. Amazing Grace is a slower song, I am talking about faster songs mainly, like the Windows of Heaven are Open. I stay in beat, but I just dont play 3/4. I hope I explained myself well enough. Skipping one Snare hit makes a huge difference in my opinion.

God Bless.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2005, 12:09:02 PM »
Yes. Amazing Grace is 3/4. But I do not play Snare Snare Bass Snare Snare Bass Snare Snare Bass. I will skip a snare beat, or substitute with a Bass beat. Amazing Grace is a slower song, I am talking about faster songs mainly, like the Windows of Heaven are Open. I stay in beat, but I just dont play 3/4. I hope I explained myself well enough. Skipping one Snare hit makes a huge difference in my opinion.

God Bless.

OK, but even though you may be skipping a snare beat, your time signature is still 3/4. It's inaccurate to say you're not playing 3/4 time just because you're skipping a snare beat.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2005, 12:29:54 PM »
Quote from: playhear
OK, but even though you may be skipping a snare beat, your time signature is still 3/4. It's inaccurate to say you're not playing 3/4 time just because you're skipping a snare beat.

In other words, in 3/4 time the quarter note still has 3 beats to a measure, regardless if that beat is the bass, the snare, the high hat, the cymbal, the cow bell or whatever. You're still counting "1, 2, 3" in your head. In your case, you've simply decided to play snare on the 3 only, instead of on the 2 and the 3. The time signature doe not change though.

I'm sure what you're playing probably sounds fine. I'm just explaining so that others learn the theory correctly.

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2005, 12:39:52 PM »

In other words, in 3/4 time the quarter note still has 3 beats to a measure, regardless if that beat is the bass, the snare, the high hat, the cymbal, the cow bell or whatever. You're still counting "1, 2, 3" in your head. In your case, you've simply decided to play snare on the 3 only, instead of on the 2 and the 3. The time signature doe not change though.

I'm sure what you're playing probably sounds fine. I'm just explaining so that others learn the theory correctly.

You are exactly right. Sorry. I said it wrong. The song is still in 3/4. I am just choosing which to play. by playing on 1 & 3 it just changes the sound a bit, makes it more interesting in my opinion.

God Bless.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2005, 01:04:34 PM »
by playing on 1 & 3 it just changes the sound a bit, makes it more interesting in my opinion.

Cool, I like Amazing Grace with the snare on the "2". I'm not sure if that's what you meant.

Incidentally, I suppose a "rock" version of Amazing Grace could be played with a 4/4 time signature. I haven't tried it, but it makes sense in my head. Doing so would definitely take the folksy feel out of the song, making the older people in the church go  8O .

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2005, 01:07:46 PM »
HaHa. I agree. One of these days, I will post a clip of how I play it. It definitely is different.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2005, 01:32:44 PM »
Cool, post it in a new thread. Your post would be great for leading into a discussion about time signatures. Maybe post the folksy version and the modern version if you're motivated.

Offline drummerboy25

• LGM Member

drums
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2005, 01:51:24 PM »
here are the top ones by far. lol  :D

1. sticks don't last long
2. after extended periods of fast playing u get blisters
3. other drummers breaking/damaging u're stuff and acting as if they did nothing wrong
4. going 2 other churches with beat up/un-tuned sets

5. everyone always wants u 2 teach them how 2 play, yet don't have the patience 2 wait, as if u learn 2 play over night
6. kids that think u're set is a toy, and parents that get upset because u chastise their kids
7. playing with an arrogant musician
8. playing behind people that cant sing and have no clue of tempo
9. constant cleaning...need i say more
10. something always has 2 be replaced...need i say more

Offline thedrummerschoice

• LGM Member

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2005, 02:42:54 PM »
man top three things i hate

1.organist!! who before the song even tell you"dont take it too fast"then they get pumped up and start yellin all loud"speed up boy!!!!" whole church lookin at you like you stupid grrrrr!!

2. when you go to a church that aint got no air conditioning it feels like its 234634574375 degreees man i be gettin light headed cant even think straight how am i suppose to play???

3. when them old ladies or dudes or them people wit no rhtem start off a song then come in tooo early or too late lol or when they make up songs like we suppose to know them...

4.ive played on some ragity sets in my life man forget the zxt b8 whatever atleast those are name brand they have some ring when you hit them have yall ever hit them weak cybals sounds like you hittin a piece of paper or somethin like a fake china cybal lol and them snares that got all that tape and tissue on them my goodness ask your pastor to have a 2nd offering after churc for the music department get you a lil cheap firecracker lol

5 lastly if you are a bass player either lock in wit the band or drums dont be off doin your own thing its sounds really bad!!!!

LilWes

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
anyone have a church or music department that wont buy u new equipment when u need it and they try to say are u sure like u dont know what u are talkin about ??

LilWes

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2005, 05:44:09 PM »
Quote from: LilWes
anyone have a church or music department that wont buy u new equipment when u need it and they try to say are u sure like u dont know what u are talkin about ??

and also anyone have other drummers that try to kick u off so they can get on and they wasnt at the rehearsal..... can lead to fights  :evil:  :!:  :!:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up