LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE THING YOU HATE MOST ABOUT PLAYING DRUMS???????  (Read 17206 times)

Offline ApostolicFemale

• LGM Member
    • For SERIOUS Producers ONLY

THE THING YOU HATE MOST ABOUT PLAYING DRUMS???????
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 12:55:31 AM »
IM TOO SHORT!!!!!!
http://howtomakehits.blogspot.com[THIS is how to make million$ and artists BEG]

Offline Audiocr381ve

• LGM Member
  • Disgusting Board

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2005, 11:29:06 AM »
What about when your playing during a VERY quiet worship song and you make one movement n' your drum throne makes a sound louder than a jet take off.

I also hate when It's 80+ degrees n' you sweatin like Jessica simpson at a spelling bee.

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2005, 11:38:33 AM »
I'm belong to a COGIC church, and I have all my life.  I hate when we visit other churches and their drum set is set up different or not tuned right.  I don't know if other demoninations are similar, but it's like they don't take the drums seriously.  They don't give you time to set up anything and they only want you playing on their equipment.  I don't know, maybe it's just Nebraska.  Does anyone else have that problem?

Offline jonesl78

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 12:09:21 PM »
what about when you go to a guest church to play for your choir and the drummer forgot to tell you that one of the legs on the seat is broken. lol   You can pretty much guess what happened.

Offline lady_drumer_77

• LGM Member

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 12:25:20 PM »
:twisted: I hate it when a drummer have to carry all there equipment, dell with organist that dont have a good tempo but still get pay $300 and better and the drummer get paid $25-$50

HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 12:48:28 PM »
Yo,

The biggest thing for me is when I'm playing up a sweat... I'm blazing!!! Then next thing you know, some friends...mostly females, want to come up and say hi. Most of them do so by giving out hugs.....

Wait, then again. You know you have a true friend when you can say "don't hug me, I'm sweaty!" and they hug you anyway :wink:  :wink:  :lol:

Offline ET-in-DC

• LGM Member

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 02:06:54 PM »
The equipment thing is the worst...but what about when you start a song with a 4 click and no one starts with you!!! Then everyone in the church looks at you like you messed up....

Ragedy sets are the worst...I went to a church once with my choir and the set was soooo ragety I said to the chior "Ya'll sing well now a hear"!!! I did not play on that thing...

Or when the MD tells you that their drums there and either the set is booty or there isn't one there.....WOW

Offline DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin

• LGM Member
  • "Music has the power to shape character"

Ha! Ha! Ha!
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 03:43:43 PM »
BOY YALL AH TRIP :D ! Well here's my list.

I hate playing on an old generic pearl kit that still has the FACTORY HEADS ON IT :cry: !

I hate when the sound tech doesn't know what the H*** he or she is doing. Then later acts like everything is cool :lol: ! This just makes you wanna hit'em :twisted: !

I hate when the praise and worship team wants to speed up a song with a drum machine :x .

I hate when catz say they sweet on the kit and you here them and they sound like  8O  :cry: .  Note: Don't say anything, let your works speak for you :wink: .
John 'Lil John" Lumpkin

Offline MOEDRUMS

• LGM Member

Re: Heck yeah...
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2005, 05:35:08 PM »
Quote from: DuvalsLilJohnLumpkin
Heck yeah!  I hate those beat up kits at churches!

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2005, 01:51:23 AM »
i hate when the choir director trys to tell u how to play the song and they dont know what they are talking about.

i hate when u show up wit an mpc2000, or your laptop wit reason(for drum loops), and the sound tech dosent know how to run you through the house system, and u gotta go to the booth and do it yourself. or worse, they dont have a system and u gotta run your loops through a keyboard amp.

i hate when the drum kit is right by the mothers!!! you know they complain about everything.

i chew gum while i play. but i hate when the usher comes up to me with some tissue and tells me to spit out my gum.

i hate how drummers are underpaid at most churches. organist can get like 400 a week. but the drummers may make 50 a week. i feel if the organist gets 400, the drummer should get like 200.

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
...Well times are changing now. We're in sort of a new breed of drummers. There's technology assisting us, and we have different types of idiosyncracies from the old days. I still think that we should be patient. Where do we get off complaining about people who are less fortunate than us? And as a part-time A/V guy myself I can't help but be somewhat defensive about some things. It's cool to be turned off by certain things and people, but listening to some of the comments made so far.... we're starting to sound like superstars!!! Maybe some of you are, I don't know... The equipment and the resources I came up with were a blessing to me... and I'm grateful. However, no seemingly bad situation is going to make me trade in my humility any time soon!

Y'all be blessed

Offline teensouth13

• LGM Member

lol
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »
well what i hate is when people shout forever and my legs already be hurtin but the pianoist makes you play faster i be like! HELP ME!!!! and also when you have to keep changing paces because the singer either comes in too early on a part or come in too late! it gets frustrating sometimes  :x

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 11:23:15 AM »
I SWEAT LIKE I AM BEING BAPTISED OVER AND OVER AND OVER, BUT I GUESS THAT IS JUST A PERSONAL PROBLEM :lol:
  HAHA HOLLA
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »
yo freddy fusion:

that's not just you man. there's nothing worse than being soaked to the you-know-whats  8O

Offline MOEDRUMS

• LGM Member

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 01:39:22 PM »
Quote from: scoop
...Well times are changing now. We're in sort of a new breed of drummers. There's technology assisting us, and we have different types of idiosyncracies from the old days. I still think that we should be patient. Where do we get off complaining about people who are less fortunate than us? And as a part-time A/V guy myself I can't help but be somewhat defensive about some things. It's cool to be turned off by certain things and people, but listening to some of the comments made so far.... we're starting to sound like superstars!!! Maybe some of you are, I don't know... The equipment and the resources I came up with were a blessing to me... and I'm grateful. However, no seemingly bad situation is going to make me trade in my humility any time soon!

Y'all be blessed

IUNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR SAYING,BUT I DONT THINK THESE GUYS MEAN IT LIKE THAT???? I MEAN I HATE TO GO TO A CHURCH WIGTH A RAGGITY SET, BUT I STIL GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I JUST WANTED TO KNOW FROM OTHER DRUMMERS SOME THINGS THEY DONT LIKE ABOUT PLAYING THE DRUMS! BUT I RESPECT EVERYTHING YOUR SAYING,GOD BLESS!

Offline scoop

• LGM Member

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 02:21:07 PM »
Cool... I hate to sound extra snippy everybody. I think I said what I felt.... but I was probably having a semi bad day when I wrote it. Don't get me wrong... playing on an old busted up set makes me feel like" man why am I here" deep down, but like you, I still do it. I probably have some other dislikes, so rather than play Mr. can't-we-all-just-get-along, I should put 'em down, right  :roll:  :wink:  :wink:

God Bless

Offline soulnomad

• LGM Member
  • * Learning from your own creative mistakes creates
    • www.theobrownsoulnomad.net

the worst thing about playing drums?!
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 06:36:57 PM »
For me there really isn't any strong dislikes about playing the drums except occasionally tearing down and loading out can be grueling.
"Uptown" Theo Brown aka "The Silent Assassin"

Offline soulnomad

• LGM Member
  • * Learning from your own creative mistakes creates
    • www.theobrownsoulnomad.net

Re: THE WORST THING YOU HATE ABOUT PLAYING DRUMS???????
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 06:42:31 PM »
Quote from: MOEDRUMS
OK, I KNOW MOST OF YOU CATS PLAY,AND LOVE TO PLAY,BUT WHAT IS THAT 1 OR 2 THINGS YOU DISLIKE ABOUT BEING A DRUMMER??? HERE ARE MINE.............................

1)LUGGING EQUIPEMENT TO A GIG,WITH NO!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP AND THEN PACKING IT UP AND LUGGING IT OUT, WHILE THE KEYBOARDIST JUST UNPLUGG AND CARRY THEIR KEYBOARD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) ALOTTA DRUMMERS GET A BAD RAP ABOUT THE WOMEN!!!!!!!!!! WELL IN MY AREA AT LEAST, EVERYWHERE I GO,AND I MEET A FEMALE,THEY AUTOMATICALLY ASSUME I AM A PLAYER OR HAVE ALOTTA WOMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Been through all of it. I'm at peace with it now because I know what'up and as long as I am doing what I know is right I have no worries.
Inner strength, faith and divine guidance.
When it's time to play that's like being at the office so it's all about taking care of biz.
"Uptown" Theo Brown aka "The Silent Assassin"

Offline Dr_Bates

• LGM Member

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2005, 12:31:56 AM »
Wussup Good People,

These are some things I find unfavorable:

1. Luggin' all your equipment around. I thank God that I even have gig bags for everything now, but I still look like a ninja turtle walkin' in with cymbals and sticks strapped to my back and pedals snares and a bench in my hands.

2. "Country boy" set-ups (no offense country folk) but it's crazy when you play at the churches where the seat is all low and the snare is tilted towards you at a 45 degree angle, and it's got a towel in it. I actually played on a set where the bass had a cut up egg crate (bedding), and a quilt, and some more foam to muffle the inside AND some kind rubber practice pad pushed up against the outside. And then the toms are facin' eachother and are all spaced out, not to mention all the heads are from like '72 (probably the same set they used on the chitlin' circuit) What gets me is that someone actually put a lot of time and effort into settin' it up like that. I mean have U ever thought of how much time it takes to put a towel in a snare?!?!?!? But the big thing is that most of the time, they're decent sets, they just need new heads and need to be set up properly. And whats really messed up is that if I set the drums up properly, the usual drummer will act like I just messed their set completely up. Thats how a lotta drummers grow stagnated and play the same way for 30 years...they dont wanna learn.

3. The time it takes to set everything up after you've lugged your stuff in.
With us, when they call up another choir, theres not much time to set up at all. I mean I dont even bring that much stuff but theres a few times we coulda sung a nice acapella praise first for the musicians to get hooked up. Dont just look at us crazy and try to start the song without us thats not decent or in order.

5. Lack of help with equipment from your choir or group. We're trying to get a little committee together in my college choir to help our musicians get our equipment around. I mean, if we're playing personal gigs and events, then we can handle it ourselves, but if you're gonna look at us funny for not bein' set up when you're ready to stand up and sing, then give us a hand.

6. Other drummers breakin' up your sticks and not offerin' to pay for em. I mean even if the owner of the sticks aint standin' behind you, you know that the stick U just broke aint yours. Atleast try and  find out who they belong to and pass along 4 or 5 dollars to em...somethin'.

7. When folk at with these lil' country set ups overtighten their stands, it's one thing to be set up WRONG...it's another thing to be WRONG and so tight that noone can fix it for you.

But all in all, I thank God for all these ups and downs, I mean we're the rhythm of the worship. We play the rhythms that flow through the hearts and minds of God's people. Now thats favor.
Health, Wealth, and Peace of Mind.

Offline Slick1

• LGM Member

Lugging equipment
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2005, 12:35:06 AM »
One of the things that I really dislike, if you are rushing to get to a job and forget something, like your stick bag or the beater for your pedal!!!! And fo sure, carrying all of your stuff and watching everbody watch you!!!! Peace.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up