LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New bass player  (Read 1516 times)

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

New bass player
« on: December 14, 2003, 07:45:39 AM »
I just got a new bass player. It is hard for me since I play a lot of bass on my left hand.  How can I play along with the my bass player without playing the bassline also?  It is just hard for me not too since I went without a bass player for so long.
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New bass player
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 08:27:00 AM »
I used to do the same thing. Just play everything that you'd normally play a little higher, and if you're not really good at doing chords with both hands, play the same chord with your left hand.

for instance....

if you're playing an Ab chord in your right hand....

EbAbC

play a part or whole Ab chord in your left hand

C, AbC or EbAbC

For me, when I have a bass player, I play more 6 chords instead of regular major or minor triads. You can take a peek at the organ videos that I posted, those get kinda close to how I play on piano, when there's a bass player. HINT: Keep you're hands really close together, or play really close to middle C with your left hand and adlib above.

Hope this helps....

My videos: http://www.brownfloyd.com/files/

Offline cflat

• LGM Member
    • http://

New bass player
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 03:02:28 PM »
Be encouraged!!!  It took me a while to get adjusted to having a bass player.  You are so used to playing it all, but after a while you will find your self playing all around that bass player.   I use alot of  jazz chords, and runs.  It just depends on what we are playing.  The bass player  and I feed off each other.  Dont get discouraged, it will come.  Relax and remember you are not all by yourself now and use all 88 keys! :lol:

God Bless

Cflat

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

bass player
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 06:38:51 PM »
Just remember to keep that left hand going..so ,, u can swing in there again when he is absent.. :lol:

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

New bass player
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2003, 12:49:54 PM »
This Sunday was better.

B3wannaB I did as you said. Everything went great.

Cflat I am not giving up never. I have come to far to turn around. My bass player is still kind of learning and when he is not getting it right, I have to turn my bass on. See I split my keyboard and that is why it is hard for me to get use to that. I am going to hang in there.Thanks for the encouraging words.  

Bronzee you are definitely right about that. We had a evening service and he didn't come.  I had to split my keyboard again for the bass. I am not going to forget it because you never know when you need it. :lol:
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New bass player
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2003, 02:19:49 PM »
What size keyboard are you using? I changed the split point on mine so it'd only be like 1 1/2 octaves. That worked out for me, even on a small 61 key.

Offline Dooley

• LGM Member

B3wannabe
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2003, 02:41:50 PM »
I saw your video of WE THREE KINGS.  I been tryin to get that intro for so long...I was mad you didnt do it!!!  Good job though
**From the desk of "Professor Terrence J. Dooley"

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

New bass player
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2003, 10:44:52 AM »
Quote from: B3Wannabe
What size keyboard are you using? I changed the split point on mine so it'd only be like 1 1/2 octaves. That worked out for me, even on a small 61 key.

I have a 88 key roland RS-9. I also have a Triton Le. The Roland I always play at church. I split it also midpoint, bass on left, and bright piano on right.
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

New bass player
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2003, 05:46:53 PM »
Quote from: Dooley
I saw your video of WE THREE KINGS. I been tryin to get that intro for so long...I was mad you didnt do it!!! Good job though

I don't have the cd anymore, so I've forgotten how the intro goes.--It blew up in my computer a while ago. I'm going to get the cd again though.

Quote from: blessedone
I have a 88 key roland RS-9. I also have a Triton Le. The Roland I always play at church. I split it also midpoint, bass on left, and bright piano on right.

For 88 keys, I split mine at the second Eb below middle C, and for 61 keys it's the first Eb below middle C. I like the warm sound that the middle keys give. Since the bass player usually plays below or around that range, the notes don't really collide, if you play the bass notes a few times while they're playing. Also, if they break, the highness of that point kinda makes it seem like you're working together, instead of clashing. I think midpoint is too high for bass, on any board, but then that's my opinion. ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up