LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you tune your bass drum?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline bigbeatz_08

• LGM Member

How do you tune your bass drum?
« on: September 18, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »
ay wuzz good everyone, if u went to church today, how was the service, we had a blessed time and i hope u'all did too, but what i wanted ta ask is how do u guys/girls tune your bass drum, do u tighten the kick side, an loosen the front (logo side) ?, how do u get tha best sound, hit me back wit some info aight? -Peace :) [/quote]
Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

Offline kaddw

• LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 03:43:27 PM »
what up. church was hot today. Fire is the best way to describe. Anyways, how i tune my bass drum is on the front I use the same cross pattern, and I don't tune it tight, just enough to get rid of the rinkles, maybe a hair tighter, but not much.  On the back side, I do the same thing, but I get it just a tiny bit tighter than the front. And it delivers..... it sounds very good. However on the bass drum its the same as any other drum, and that is the head, so make sure you have a good one on there. Hope this helps a little.

Offline AMarshall

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2005, 06:04:38 PM »
I'm esentially a jazz drummer so I don't put anything in my bd and I tune it pretty low. I tune for the sound of a bd instead of anything specific such as pitch or the heads having no rinkles. At chuch, I use an emad and I tune I the same way. I really don't like when I go to chrches and the bd sounds like a cardboard box because the drummer or hoom ever wanted to stuff the living day lights out of the thing. If you want the thing to sound like a carboard box than save yourself a G and get a carboard box.
Church was good, especially Sunday school. We lerned the diffrence between wisdom & wisdumb :)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2005, 10:31:09 PM »
I personally don't like to padd the inside of the kick. I use heads that have built in dampening (clear EMAD batter/Yamaha logo head ported which is a REMO with an internal ring very similar to the EVANS EQ3 ported reso). Soon I will change to (clear EMAD batter/EMAD reso) on my 22"x18" Maple Custom. On my late '60s Rogers 20"x14" I use a clear  EMAD batter/EQ1 (with the air holes and muffling ring like the Genera Dry has).

That being said I tune the Reso higher than the batter say 4 hal turns above rinkles and the batter 2 Half turns above rinkle statuts. Basically an old Motown way of tuning because the higher bass notes travel farther and it really allows he tone of the shell to shine. I prefer actually to not have a port hole in the reso side because you loose like 20-30% of your tone. You get more volume with a port hole in a none micing situation But you loose some tone.

I like my kicks to sound like subs, Whooom! Open , jazzy with punch for droppin them bombs,  8)... Not thud. The most muffling I will use at this point will be the coated EMAD batter/EQ1 reso.

I have also feel that you should get rebound from you kick like you do from your toms. This comes by tightening the reso head not the batter (though I still use a medium tension on my kick batter). Not that these are all tunings for live situations I speak of the studio situation depends on a lot of variables that most time we the drummer will have nothing to do with. What the producer and engineer want is what they get unless you have proven yourself to be better than them in that situation. Like your name is Steve Jordan or something.

I currently don't have the money but, soon I will purchase the MAYS internal mic system with the AUDIX D6 and get the Yamaha Sub-Kick mic for the 808 rumble. At that point my head combo will be clear EMAD batter /EQ1 reso or clear EMAD batter / EQ2 (slotted grill) reso. Both of the resonant heads have internal rings.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 03:30:27 PM »
Nothing in it, Remo powerstroke 3 with the muffle built in......single ply muffle built in the front with a 8 inch hole.
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!
Pages: [1]   Go Up