LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ANYBODY START WITH ANOTHER INSTRUMENT BEFORE PIANO?  (Read 1644 times)

ANYBODY START WITH ANOTHER INSTRUMENT BEFORE PIANO?
« on: August 05, 2005, 12:07:02 PM »
I started with drums when I was 6. To this day, when I listen to a song, I naturally hear only the beat if I'm not concentrating. Learning to hear the piano, including melody and chords, has been a challenge because I started playing piano later at about 23 years old. However, after much prayer, I can now hear tunes and play the melody with harmonization.

Drums are a unique instrument because melody and chord placement is completely not part of the deal. It's all about rhythm and timing; sloppy notes slightly off-beat won't get you props.

Is there anybody else out there who started out with drums or another instrument? Was your transition to piano smooth or was it a struggle like mine?

Offline keydrummer

• LGM Member

Before Piano
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 06:02:31 PM »
Drums,Now I'm working on Keys/Organ & Bass Gtr,Its a struggle right now but I'm encouraged it will become easy.

Offline tavia

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 05:07:08 PM »
I started with the drums at 11 and picked up the saxaphone for marching band at 13. Even though I'm on the keys full time now, my heart is still in the drums!!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 10:32:25 PM »
Air guitar.  :lol:
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline Bronzee

• LGM Member
  • I'm a praiser!!
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/bronzeey1

instructiment
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 11:31:02 PM »
What is air guitar? Myterman? I blew the hamonica.  :wink:

Offline bug

• LGM Member
  • Best teacher is one who makes you want to learn.
    • http://Music Services

Instrument before piano
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2005, 11:56:56 PM »
Really I had forgotten about this.

I started taking lessons on the piano when I was 6.  The piano book has an indication that he piano teacher wrote in  for 1956. I was 6 that year.  However that was not my first book. I lost my first book which had ABC's in it. There were no notes just alphabets, and I matched my fingers for the alphabets as they were written from left to right.  In fact I believe I may have started in 1955 but have no proof, because the book is missing.

I sang at my friends funeral. when I was 4 or 5.  My friend died tragically in a drowning, where her mother missed an exit and plunged into the Little Calumet River, and killed her 4 year old child.  The child drowned.  Her name was Yvonne but we called her "Bon Bon".  I sang "Oh Lord Have Mercy" at "Bon Bon's" funeral.

The lyrics are:  Oh Lord have mercy, Oh Lord Have mercy, Oh Lord have mercy, have mercy on me.ect....  When I'm in trouble...3times  have mercy on me. ect....

So my first instument was my voice.

My mother played piano.

I wound up singing the leads to all the school songs after that.

Mrs.Rickman the music teacher always had me sing the lead solo to "I Come to the Garden Alone". for the school. Kindergarten and first grade.

I was studying piano by first grade.

brother scott
The greatest mistake most amateur musicians make is giving up.  Don't give up !!!

Offline ManualKeys

• LGM Member
  • Music is heard w/da ear & understood with da heart
    • http://www.myspace.com/mrbanner2u

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 12:13:59 PM »
I started with the tenor saxophone when I was 9 years old and then when I became 14 I started piano and organ. Now I forgot all about the sax and just hittin up the keyz, but in time I will go back to it.
Listening is an ART.....And everybody can't do it

Offline Scales27

• LGM Member

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:59:31 AM »
When I was little (like 4 or 5), I played the drums. I never got good because I didn't have them for a long time. My cousin broke my sister's dolly dreamhouse and she thought that I did it so she broke my drums with a frying pan.

I played the recorder in elementary school. I was ok. I could only play several Christmas songs or occasionally sound nice when just fooling around.

I played the tenor drum in my elementary school's band. the Captain of the band's position went to his head and he stood us up alot on performance days so I didn't get to play as much as I should have. I was still good though.

I played the harmonica in sixth grade. That too I dabbled in but never stuck with long enough to really get good in. (I could play the rocky theme song though and I could improv on my own stuff).

Right before I started dabbling in piano, I dabbled in trumpet and the bass trumpet. I only learned two songs but I did learn enough make my own stuff after a few minutes getting back used to them.

I started dabbling with the piano since seventh grade. I wouldn't say that I was really playing it because I only played on rare occasions when I could play. I got my first keyboard in eighth grade but I didn't play it. I started playing the congos in ninth grade for the church my father had started (by this time we were in our building). Thats my best instrument depending on the circumstances.

I consider myself to have started playing keyboard as of a year ago to two years.

Long winded but, thats all folks.

Offline NeOnGrL_MMBC

• LGM Member

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 03:16:45 PM »
I started out on the trumbone in elementary school carried that out till 6th grade, where I started playing the sax. I seem to pick up a new instrument every so often. But Im more fluent on the Sax and Piano.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 05:53:23 PM »
I started on drums, then went to bass guitar, now learning the piano and later the organ.  Drums and bass is my heart.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline drkredneckgal

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:09:57 AM »
I started on the drums and picked up piano, but the drums are my heart and soul (after Jesus that is).

Offline Muziqmann

• LGM Member

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 10:31:55 AM »
I was a drummer 1st, in school I played trumpet, trombone and french horn ( what an ugly intrument, lookin' and soundin)
When the minstrel played, the hand of the LORD was upon him.  II Kings 3:15

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 11:02:04 AM »
I started on the drums at the age of 3.  Then, in January of 05 i started playing the piano/organ.  The transition has been relatively easy because I have perfect picth, but I'm still trying to improve.  The drums still are my favorite, though.
Keep It Funky

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2005, 06:01:17 PM »
Air guitar was a joke. Its like the kids who play air drums while you are playing because they are not good enough yet.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 11:24:34 AM »
drums
Pages: [1]   Go Up