LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: whos your favorite guitar player  (Read 15144 times)

Offline thatguyro

• LGM Member

my Favorites
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2005, 06:04:03 PM »
Can I have 3 ?  I like 1. Prince 2. Ernie Isley 3. Spanky(Guitarist from Canton Spirituals)

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

whos your favorite guitar player
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2005, 06:36:47 PM »
[quote="gtrdave
I saw him in concert just a couple months before he died...he opened up for Jeff Beck...and Stevie was the real deal.
And all signs point to him being saved before he died but only our Lord and great intercessor knows for sure.[/quote]

Here's one for you.  I've heard that quite a while back, some venue in Hawaii had a concert featuring...get this...SRV and Run DMC!  How's that for an odd couple?
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline phunqee

• LGM Member

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2005, 12:14:21 PM »
its loads of cats out there but honestly, i think that there are opinions as to who our favorites are but history tells us who the best is. there is one brotha thats been doin since the 70's and has been owning gospel since the early 80's, he may be the most recorded gospel musician in history, he's stood the test of time thru every fad, style and trend and he can flat out outplay just about anybody you can name and that's JONATHAN DUBOSE. it's safe to say that anybody in gospel that's doin the guitar thing has lifted countless licks, riffs and chord ideas from this guy and probably doesn't even know it.  he's done more albums in a year than most gospel cats do in a lifetime.  on top of all that he's crazy anointed and humble, one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.  look his name up online and find one of his discographies, you'll be reading that joint for a minute. gospel guitar wouldn't have nearly the prominence that it does now if johnny didn't play the way he has over all these years.  he's the godfather of gospel guitar and a bonafied legend in this indutry.

Offline ikickset

• LGM Member
    • myspace

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 12:30:03 AM »
raymond shon hinton. check him out on the mary j blidge live in l.a dvd.  he is really hot and he does a lot of gospel stuff as well too.

also johnathon dubose, al willis, and joey woolfork.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 07:44:49 PM »
Quote from: phunqee
its loads of cats out there but honestly, i think that there are opinions as to who our favorites are but history tells us who the best is.

Much respect to everyone's favorite but there is no "best"...just 'favorites'.  8)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline phunqee

• LGM Member

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 06:11:35 PM »
for most instruments i definately agree but dubose is so much more accomplished in the gospel arena than everyone else and that is not a put down at all to anybody else out there. if you were to ask industry professionals who the biggest name in gospel guitar is everyone is gonna tell you jonathan dubose. now in other genres of music there are so many names to chose from, but gospel music has had a few. one of the reasons for that is that gospel guitar has a very particular style and role that guitarists from other genres usually can't just step up and play.  johnny has excelled at that and he keeps working.  i guess i should say he is the most recorded and accomplished and he is my favorite.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 10:55:14 PM »
Quote from: phunqee
for most instruments i definately agree but dubose is so much more accomplished in the gospel arena than everyone else and that is not a put down at all to anybody else out there. if you were to ask industry professionals who the biggest name in gospel guitar is everyone is gonna tell you jonathan dubose. now in other genres of music there are so many names to chose from, but gospel music has had a few. one of the reasons for that is that gospel guitar has a very particular style and role that guitarists from other genres usually can't just step up and play.  johnny has excelled at that and he keeps working.  i guess i should say he is the most recorded and accomplished and he is my favorite.

It's all good.  8) And now I'm gonna go educate myself on Jonathan DuBose...I've probably heard him and not even known it.

EDIT: OK, OK!!! I KNOW who Jonathan DuBose is!!! One of my favorite records of ALL TIME is Harry Connick, Jr "She".
Jonathan is the guitarist on it.
He is SLAMMIN' good!
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 03:49:44 AM »
jonathan dubose in gospel, by far.

just overall, probably richie kotzen. amazing technician but has a tonm of soul to his playing, not just crazy notes all the time. also dann huff.

Offline mt_spiffy

• LGM Member
    • http://www.itsmyurls.com/dspiffy

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2005, 05:44:49 PM »
Quote from: trackman
I like Doc Powell, but if we're taslking Gospel, Fred Hammond's latest album does it for me!

I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about, or if you didnt know . . . but Doc Powell has been playing with Kirk Franklin's touring band for some time, and played most of the guitar on the Hero album.  He's also toured and recorded with many other gospel artists.

Offline gjohn

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2005, 07:51:17 AM »
Two of my favorite guitar players in the Gospel field
are Spanky Alford and Joey Woolfalk.

These brothers are so melodic and know when and where to put
things in the right place.

Thats mastery at its best, you can know all the scales and all
the chords in the world, but to know where to put them, thats
the trick and the characteristics of a season player.

God Bless,

Offline axeman1

• LGM Member
  • No weapon means.....N-O-O-O WEAPON!!!!

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 07:54:29 AM »
What makes this question so difficult for me to answer is that there are so many different styles in guitar playing. My favorite seems to be what mood or phase I happen to be in at the time or who I happen to be listening to the most at a particular time. Right now, it would probably be Chieli Minucci. If you're not familiar with his work, listen to 'Without You' on his 'Night Grooves' disc. When In mellower moods I like the jazz acoustic guitar player Peter White. I even have an acoustic guitar on display in my basement with Peter's signature on it. He signed it after he played at a jazz festival here in the Detroit area a few years ago.
I am what God says I am, no less and no more.

Offline tius

• LGM Member

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 10:40:54 AM »
:) I think the most verible guitar player in the gospel arena is Jonathan Dubose, check out some of the older Hawkins Albums

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2005, 12:46:59 PM »
Me!!!!....ha ha!

na....it is Bruce Conte ....and Tuck from Tuck and Patti

Offline brotimS

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

favorite guitar player
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2005, 06:23:09 PM »
Rod Jones that plays for  the Bolton Brothers they are in the studio now workin on their new album
one lord one faith one baptism

Offline TonYGeetar

• LGM Member
    • Bebo

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2005, 07:34:25 PM »
The Edge or Eric Johnson

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 03:46:45 PM »
Quote from: TonYGeetar
The Edge or Eric Johnson

Wow, talk about two polar opposites.  Eric Johnson is a very highly rated guitarist know for his tone and techniue.  The Edge, OTOH, is probably one of the most underrated players because he is not know for having monster chops and lightning fast licks.  IMHO, there are three guitar players in the history of rock that have inspried everyone else.  They are:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Eric Clapton
3. Eddie Van Halen

To one extent or another almost all of us who play guitar have been touched by these guys.
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: my Favorites
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 03:51:41 PM »
Quote from: thatguyro
Can I have 3 ?  I like 1. Prince 2. Ernie Isley 3. Spanky(Guitarist from Canton Spirituals)

I just peeked in to see who you guys favorites were. But, my man, I like your first two choices....I wish they would cross over to gospel because Prince, Ernie Isley & Bootsy Collins got to be the baddest guitar players.

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
    • Facebook

« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »
Bootsy is actually a bass player but his brother "Catfish" plays guitar.  BTW, if I'm not mistaken Bootsy makes an appearance on Nicole C. Mullins latest CD!
- Corrie Ten Boom

Kelsey

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
My favorite to listen to is Wes Montgomery.

He's dead now...I hope he was saved before he died.  I would not imagine that all that good labor was in vain and he still was lost in his sins.  That’s why it is important to dedicate your life to Jesus Christ and do his will.

Anyhow, I enjoy his creativity in his music.  Music is a gift from God.  My prayer is nations would use it to praise our Lord Jesus.  Amen.

Kelsey
________

Sing unto the LORD a new song: sing unto the LORD, all the earth...For the LORD is great, and greatly to be praised: he is to be feared above all gods.
Psalm 96:1,4
________

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 05:52:23 AM »
I almost forgot one!!! John Mayer is an excellent guitarist. What I like about him is the inventive ways he puts rythms together. I'm not that experienced in the guitarist's realm yet, but I haven't heard anything like it from anywhere else...
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up