LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From 4 to 5 or 6 or more...  (Read 999 times)

Offline djgroovin

• LGM Member

From 4 to 5 or 6 or more...
« on: August 08, 2005, 01:12:05 PM »
Hey everyone,

I was wondering what is was like for those that moved from 4 strings to 5 or 6 or more...if you could share your experience and the most difficult part of the transition.

I play 4 and was considering buying a 6.

tondee

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 01:43:55 PM »
The only major problem I have is continuously treating the low B and an E.

Offline Noctos

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 02:04:32 PM »
i was about to ask the same question tondee, i've played a few 5 stringers in the bass shop and didnt find them too difficult at the time but i wasen't playing anything complicated. Some scale exercises would probably help,  but can anyone give any more suggestions.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:22:01 PM »
this is a matter of opinion, my opinion is that a 5 or 6 is no big deal i've played 5s and 6s like they were mine even complicated songs. now a 4 vs 5..... a 5 onnly has 5 notes i can't play on 4 now a 6 there is only a few more maybe 5 to 10 more. but my amp modaler can handle the other notes i can't play on a 6. just my opinion probably worth les then 2 cents.

Luckily for me i was exposed to 5s and 6s before i even started to play a 4 i never had too much trouble, i have mistaken a C string for a G but I never played a 5 and mistaken the B for a E different people. a friend of mine been playing a 4 for 25 years bought a 5 and it took him bout a month to get the hang of it.

never touched a 7 or 8 i've touched an 8 with the octave strings never touched the other kind like ummmm b3wanna has i think.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 04:47:18 PM »
My first was a 4-string mutt that I bought. I only kept that one for about 5 months, because I broke the truss rod, by over-tightening it, by then though, my 5-string was already on the way.

I don't think I've had a hard time switching between the different ones, because I don't know the notes on the strings anyway. I play using intervals, so it doesn't matter how many strings I have. It does feel a little constricting, when I play a 4-string though. I feel a little more comfortable on my 5, and my 8 is the most comfortable, because it feels like I won't hit the top or bottom of it, when I'm playing.

I'm slowly learning the notes on the fretboard though. They're easier to see/feel on my 5 string. I get lost on the 4 and 8 strings, because on the 4 I keep thinking the low string is B....I just don't know where I'm at, note-wise, on the 8-string.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 05:00:12 PM »
When it comes to my chops one of my assets is knowing my notes i know my instrument well enough to sight read with a 4 with 5 and 6 i can't read but i find the notes well. i started by memerizing frets 5, 7 and 12.
Pages: [1]   Go Up