LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you like your axe?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline youngstrings

• LGM Member

how do you like your axe?
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »
I like sleek black basses with shiny chrome hardware.

what color bass, hardware, electronics or shape of a bass would make a bass the bass of your dreams? :D  :D  :D  :D

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:10:52 PM »
I like a nice neck-thru, natural wood bass, with gold or black hardware.

....or black with silver.

I haven't experienced enough pickup sounds to know what I like with those. I like both passive and active. I like the natural sound of passive and the volume of active.

I'm not partial to any shape, but I do like the look of the exotic ones, like the Steinberger and the electric uprights.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 05:18:23 AM »
i'll take a warwick headstock a fender areodyne body a carvin neck thru string thru of course and any passive hum-bucking jazz pick ups the entire thing black with black hard ware and an ebony finger board.
most likely it'll be a 4 string
 that's it, nothing to fancy or special.

Offline youngstrings

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:48:08 AM »
those basses sound pretty tough :x  :x  :x  :x

Offline bandaddie

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 06:26:26 PM »
My Black Cherry Burst Spector neckthru 4 string with gold hardware and black strings is the most beautiful bass I have ever seen. It just seems to glow under stage lights
It's looks actually got me a gig. The man said, "I want that bass in my band." No audition. Just a great job in a great band.

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 06:34:08 PM »
it depends, i LOVE natural.. I have a ibanez SR1200  4 string Neck through with birds eye maple, active emg's, rosewood fingerboard, gold hardware.. its the blonde looking wood..

then i have a custom ibanez sr3000 prestige 5 string all maple darkwood, neckthrough, black hardware, rosewood fingerboard..

but I LOVE THE MUSICMAN STERLING in BLUE DAWN BURST !!

awesome..
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline Clifford

• LGM Member

natural as can be
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »
natural maple w/ neck thru body ,gold hardware ,gold dots and gold endings to the strings

Offline LO_RIDER

• LGM Member

What axes do I like
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 12:52:22 PM »
Right now I am thumpin' Lakland!!  They sound great and they look awesome!

Offline VernDog

• LGM Member
    • http://

Give me a bolt on!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 10:45:27 AM »
I have to say that in my experience, the best basses that I've really loved were all bolt ons.  

I used to have a Ken Smith BSR6-MW with a flamed Maple Top and a Walnut Core, Maple neck with a Rosewood fingerboard and man.... to this day, I regret that I let that bass go.  It was thumpy as heck and very articulate.  

But I've just found that bolt-ons give me better response that I'm looking for in my style of play.  

Now the bass that I currently have is just on another level as far as build and pure craftsmanship.  It's a neckthrough, but it is all maple.  Maple Body with a maple neck and a Bird's Eye maple fret board.  The guts and electronics are on another level too (Mike Pope 18V preamp) and the Pickups are Seymour Duncans in Wenge covers.  That's a lot of STUFF meant to be punchy and articulate NO MATTER WHAT the rest of the bass is made of.

Some really great instruments that I like are MTD 635's made of Ash with a Wenge Neck and Wenge Fingerboard, Sadwsky's are really good and Mike Lulls' will fool ya, they look plain jane, but if you salp one, it'll slap you back.  I just don't care for the fender clones.  Granted they are both great (Lull's and Sadowsky's) I just don't care for the look.  Laklands are really good too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up