LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practice Room  (Read 3297 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Practice Room
« on: August 23, 2005, 01:09:03 PM »
Welcome to the new practice room.  Bboy will say whats it is for. :)
:)

JoyCH

Practice Room
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:45:18 PM »
You go D!  This is awesome. See ya there or be square.  :D

Joy

Offline Metronome

• LGM Member

Practice Room
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 02:53:28 PM »
Bboy needs 2 hurry up because i'd really like to know what its purpose is. :?  :?
Keep It Funky

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Bboy should...
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29:07 AM »
Bboy should be responding anytime now. :)
:)

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

Practice Room
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 11:26:13 AM »
Aha! I'm glad this happened so that we could share with others! Great!

Okay, this is the purpose of the Practice Room. It is a place for specific suggestions on how to improve playing. LGM'ers can visit and post questions about specific problems they are facing, and everyone can share how to target those specific problems.

For instance, a person may be wondering how to improve a walking bassline. We could then post walking basslines in a few different keys.

A person may wonder how to improve their shouting music. So we post shouting music in maybe two different keys.

It is for suggestions, recommended musical reading material, sharing of resources, etc. By visiting the practice room, a very beginning player could see what to practice over the next two weeks . . . and then where to go from there. More experienced players could target problems and ask "How do I get over this hump in my playing?" Maybe some of y'all really gifted saints can share some video clips and midi's too!

Be Blessed  :D
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

Practice Room
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 02:30:38 PM »
Yo, please add a quick link to the left. I would need folks from the piano forum and the drummer forum to cruize on over to this forum every now and then. I want all of the beautiful minds responding to my posts. Thus, exposure is necessary. Otherwise, I'll have to post those types of questions in the other forums. It's all good.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

Practice Room
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 04:15:00 PM »
Thank you for posting a quick link to the left.

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Practice Room
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 09:42:31 PM »
I'm not sure if this room is completely open yet, but if so please help.  

In my current practice session (just started this practice style) ear training I have the mp3 for "The Prayer of Jabez" and also the chording from this site.  The chording is as follows (I'll only use part of for the example).

Intro
4X
Holding...Eb/eBFGBb
...Eb/EbG.../FAb .../GBb ...Eb/BbDb
...Eb/EbAbB

SONG
EbBbEbFG - Oh
GEbF/BbEbFG - Lord
AbEbG/BbEb, F- Oh..oh

After about 45 min of practice of listen and trying to match what I heard I came to this conclusions.

1.  It would be easier (FOR ME) to play the chords as single notes, until I felt comfortable with the sequence.

2.  I couldn't completely match sound for sound eventhough the "chord poster" posted the Key the song is in.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* What can I do to improve my chording????

*  What can I do to improve finding the key/note from what I hear?????

*****SHARE THAT BLESSING AND IT SHALL RETURN TO YOU*****

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

Practice Room
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 10:06:53 PM »
Now someimes listening to the song and playing with the song (even if u have to constantly rewind it) can actually get you into the mind of the poster on what he trying to do to get through the song...Me personally I listen to keys then progressions to find out where it's goin then the chords will come to me eventually...

Your second question is quite simple and u answered it in your question indirectly but...start to play by ear...In other words...get familiar with ALL THE KEYS!! Hit the C note til it rings in your head and hear it in your sleep and do the same in the rest of the 11 keys..that's called Relative Pitch and that will get you out in ANY JAM!!

Hope this helps in any way!
MERCY EN!!

Offline michaeln

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Practice Room
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005, 10:19:51 PM »
ddw4e thanks for such a quick response.  

MORE, MORE , MORE and Bless U-All

JoyCH

Practice Room
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2005, 02:30:57 PM »
Quote from: ddw4e
Now someimes listening to the song and playing with the song (even if u have to constantly rewind it) can actually get you into the mind of the poster on what he trying to do to get through the song...Me personally I listen to keys then progressions to find out where it's goin then the chords will come to me eventually...

Your second question is quite simple and u answered it in your question indirectly but...start to play by ear...In other words...get familiar with ALL THE KEYS!! Hit the C note til it rings in your head and hear it in your sleep and do the same in the rest of the 11 keys..that's called Relative Pitch and that will get you out in ANY JAM!!

Hope this helps in any way!

I agree with dd. Its a matter of recognizing and conditioning your ear. If you hear a chord long enough, you will recognize it. You have to play the chord until it gets on your nerve and everytime you hear someone play the chord you know you will recognize it.

Joy

Offline aljeres

• LGM Member
  • IT'S ALL THAT MATTERS......
    • www.algieres.com

ok
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 02:28:03 PM »
when it comes to learning how to pick up a song note by note or chord by chord.......

i always listen for the highest note i can hear!

REM: WHATEVER YOU'RE HEARING, IT IS DEFINITLEY ON THIS BOARD THAT IS IN FRONT OF YOU!!!!!!!!!

i listen for a NOTE, before i listen for a CHORD!
i always listen for the melody line no matter what!

listen in small intervals.......
gieres.....

god is greatly to be praised!!!!!!!!!

Offline elio

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Practice Room
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 02:31:17 AM »
Quote from: JoyCH
If you hear a chord long enough, you will recognize it.

That's very true. Tip: I use Winamp (an mp3 player for PC) with LoopMaster, a plug-in that lets you repeat arbitrary sections of a song. You can capture, say, 2 seconds of a song and repeat them over and over again, and take your time to pick the notes of a chord. Works very well.
http://www.winamp.com
http://www.companyinfo.com/LoopMaster/

Offline ddw4e

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Just doing what i do! LOL!

Practice Room
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 08:58:16 AM »
i have that as well eilo...Very helpful...Also another way to figure out songs is a Apple Ipod...U can put all your cd colllection on there, won't worry about skipping or anything else! I planning to get that for either my birthday or Xmas gift...then again, it could be together! LOL
MERCY EN!!

Offline HONEYPOOH

• LGM Member
  • God's music is my life!

how to pick out a song
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 10:28:39 AM »
I LEARN TO LISTEN TO A SONG IN SECTIONS. I TAUGHT MYSELF HOW TO PLAY THE STRING ENSEMBLE OF "TOTAL PRASIE" BY RICHARD SMALLWOOD. USUALLY MUSICIANS JUST START FROM THE CHOIR SINGING. I FELT THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF THE SONG STARTED AT THE STRING SECTION. I LISTENED TO IT BY BREAKING IT IN SECTIONS. I FIRST LEARNED THE SINGLE NOTES, THEN THE FULL STRINGS I PLAYED IN MY LEFT HAND. IT TOOK AWHILE, BUT WITH MUCH PRACTICE, PRAYER, & DEDICATION, I LEARNED HOW TO DO IT LIKE THE SONG. I HAVN'T HEARD ANYBODY EVER PLAYING IT, BUT IF YOU PLAY THIS SONG, LEARN HOW TO PLAY THE STRING ENSEMBLE. I USED A KEYBOARD WITH FULL STRINGS, & A GOOD PIANO (TRITON LE,STUDIO, OR JUST A GOOD ACOUSTIC PIANO. HOWEVER YOU DO IT, TAKE ANY SONG IN SECTIONS. WHEN YOU PRACTICE ALOT & YOU HEAR CHORDS ENOUGH, YOU'LL BE ABLE TO PLAY THEM WHENEVER YOU HEAR THEM. TRAIN YOUR EAR. I LEARN TO HAVE PERFECT PITCH. I CAN TELL WHAT KEY A PERSON IS SINGING WITHOUT TOUCHING THE PIANO OR ORGAN. MY FATHER TAUGHT ME HOW TO DO THAT. WHEN YOU GET THE SOUND OF THE KEY IN YOUR HEAD ENOUGH, YOU 'LL BE ABLE TO RECOGNIZE WHAT KEY THE SONG IS BEING PLAYED OR SUNG. YOU CAN DO IT YOURSELF OR HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP YOU. SIT IN FRONT OF A PIANO, CLOSE YOUR EYES, & TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT KEY YOU HAVE JUST PLAYED. DO IT UNTIL YOUR EAR HEARS THE SOUND PERFECTLY & CLEARLY. OR GET SOMEONE TO PLAY A NOTE & YOU JUST TRY TO DETERMINE WHAT IT IS. TRUST ME IT WORKS. PEOPLE ARE AMAZED ON HOW I CAN DETERMINE A KEY WHEN IT IS PLAYED. IT TAKES ALOT OF PRACTICE & PRAYER. REMEMBER, PRAY BEFORE YOU PRACTICE. IT PUTS YOU CLOSER TO GOD NOT JUST IN YOUR MUSIC, BUT MOST OF ALL IN YOUR WALK WITH GOD. BE BLESSED.

Offline lilMsKiki

• LGM Member
  • Philippians 4:13

this practice room is fantastic
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 12:59:36 AM »
I have found some things that are going to keep me busy for a long little while.  Elio thanks for the advice on the winamp plugin...i downloaded both pacemaker.....and loopster...This is precisely the tool I need for getting these songs together.  I have been working recently on I won't complain.  by McClurkin. Some of the walks have been hard to hear....I'll keep you posted on how much these tools help.
Philippians 3:14 ~I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.~
Pages: [1]   Go Up