LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hammondman how do you improvisation?  (Read 17262 times)

Offline cjackson

• LGM Member

Hammondman how do you improvisation?
« on: December 30, 2003, 08:46:44 PM »
How do you improvisation? I can play straight chords but I would like to add some filling to the chords.

Thank you
Mustbeblessed

Re: Hammondman how do you improvisation?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 02:45:43 PM »
Quote from: cjackson
How do you improvisation? I can play straight chords but I would like to add some filling to the chords

WELL, FOR STARTERS, LETS JUST DO TRANSITION CHANGES, THEY'RE THE 1/2 WAY POINT TO THE CHORD YOU'RE GOING TO.
FOR EXAMPLE, YOU WANT TO GO TO THE 4 IN THE KEY OF F, IT'S Bb, BUT YOU DONT WANT TO PLAY STRAIGHT CHORDS, WE'LL DO A 1_3_4 PROGRESSION:

LH / RH
FC / F - DOWN AT THE = 1
AG / ACF - CROSS, WHERE MY = 3
BbF / Bb - SAVIOUR = 4
CG / Bb - DIED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THAT'S ONE WAY TO DO IT, THAT'S AN F9 IF YOU'RE WONDERING, OR AN Am7(b6), BUT THAT'S A TRANSITION CHORD FOR THE 3RD SCALE DEGREE IF YOU WANT TO GO TO THE 4
HERE'S ANOTHER:

LH / RH
FC / F - DOWN AT THE = 1
FEb / ADF# - CROSS, WHERE MY = 3
BbF / Bb - SAVIOUR = 4
CG / Bb - DIED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THAT'S AN F 13(b9) CHORD, WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE AS A TRANSITION CHORD FOR THE 3RD SCALE DEGREE.
HERE'S YET ANOTHER:

LH / RH

FC / F - DOWN AT THE = 1
AG / DbGbBb - CROSS, WHERE MY = 3
BbF / Dm7 - SAVIOUR = 4
CG / Bb - DIED
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THAT IS ALSO A 13(b9) CHORD, THIS TIME ACTUALLY ON THE 3RD SCALE DEGREE THE A! DO YOU FOLLOW? YOU CAN USE THE SAME CONCEPT TO GO TO THE 5, AND TO THE 1 FROM THE 5 BY UTILIZING THE 3RD SCALE DEGREE OF THE 5 , IN THE CASE OF THE KEY OF F, IT'LL BE THE C:
CG / CFA - GLO___DA / CFA = 5_6
__ / Gm7 - RY
GF / BEFA - TO = 2
ED / EGC - HIS = 5
FC / F - NAME = 1
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU :wink:

Offline cjackson

• LGM Member

Thank you Hammondman
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 03:13:16 PM »
Thank you Hammondman that helps out alot

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 12:00:25 AM »
What Hammondman did is called harmonic improvisation.  That uses alot of passing chords.  I also do harmonic improvisation along with linear improvisation.  That is improvising a melodic line with a bunch of runs, patterns and fill-ins. (What Hammondman did was mainly filler chords)  John Peters is a genius as linear improvisation.  I learned how to improvise linearly from my jazz background.  That comes from a mastery and proficiency of scales and arpeggios.

Offline Willing

• LGM Member
    • http://www.geocities.com/iitim215wi

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 12:05:45 PM »
God's Blessing mjfeltnerjr,

I see that you said you can do different type of improv, yet you did give any examples.

i'm just wondering why?
1 God, 1 Love,  God's Love
First you must EMPTY your cup.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 02:51:46 PM »
Willing, I am working on a midi file I can send you.  It's just a little difficult to type this kind of example.

Offline SonrisaDulce

• LGM Member

What is a scale degree?
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 11:49:36 AM »
Hammondman, you talked about 3rd scale degree. What is this exactly?

Re: What is a scale degree?
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 02:03:21 PM »
Quote from: SonrisaDulce
Hammondman, you talked about 3rd scale degree. What is this exactly?

For a passing, or transition chord, you can use whatever you want, but it's easier to do it in "order" if you will...so the way it can be done is using the 3rd scale degree: 1 = C, 2 = D, 3 = E, and we're going to the 4th scale degree, or F.

You can use a C7 with an E bass to do it: CG / C____EBb / C_____FC / F
The "EBb / C" is a tri-tone in the left hand off the 3rd scale degree of C, and utilizing the dominant 7th of C, hence it's a C7 with an E bass going to the 4 or F. like a stopping point!

You can use the dominant 7th as a transition also:
CG / C____CBb / C_____FC / F
THomas Whitfield and Kirk Franklin like this transition where you don't use the 3 at all:
CG / C____CBb / BbM7,(EABbD)_____FC / F
Now the funny thing about that middle chord is that you're not playing the 3rd in the left hand, but it's on the right, depends on your inversion!

If you really want to confuse folks, pull this off!
CG / EGC____CBb / DFBb__EABbD__EADb____FC / EGAC :wink:
It's the same concept, you just using 3 different transitions in a row and STILL going to the 4, play slow, them speed up the transitions, not too fast, but amoothly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up