LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting That Classical influenced polished Gospel sound  (Read 2834 times)

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

Getting That Classical influenced polished Gospel sound
« on: November 10, 2012, 10:52:05 PM »
Hey everyone. I've been playing for just over a couple years now and I really developed a liking to that polished gospel sound. For example Keyboardist Jason Tyson. His style is just so professional! I heard that he is classically trained as well. Is that the best way to get that sound? He adds so much to songs with his classical moves.

I've invested in quite a bit of instructional material already on the gospel side (Jamal, Jermaine) but would classical training be a good thing to give me that polish?? A lot of guys have chords, but its just nice to have the classical edge too IMO.

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Getting That Classical influenced polished Gospel sound
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
Richard Smallwood is another who has Classical influence...

Total Praise - Richard Smallwood

From what I hear, JT uses a lot of voice leading (3rds, etc. in harmony) as well as riffs from Jazz and CCM, and Classical technique.

IMO, to get that Smooth Jazz sound (as in Gospel goes Classical), don't take shortcuts - some lessons in note reading may be required. Perhaps start with a piano/keyboard class at your local community center or college; most of the students may be behind you in terms of ear and coordination, but just be patient, you will probably be at the same beginning level in terms of sightreading.

Also, listen to Classical music (Bach, Mozart, etc.) From there you can probably figure out if taking private lessons would be worth it...

Offline theLearner

• LGM Member
  • Play, don't play around

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
I don't really mean a classical in regards to the style of music, but just that polished overtone in everything. for example Rodney east. You can't get that touch without training

Rodney East and David Davis hanging out at Guitar Center

Offline betnich

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »
That smooth touch is called Legato - needs coordination, agility, and good pedaling.

Many newbies to the keyboard have a 'clunky' touch, especially if they started on a keyboard without touch sensitivity.
The smoothness comes with practice and experience...

Offline T-Block

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
It also has to do with how hard you play. Betnich alluded to this with his comment. The mistake a lot of musicians make is playing a keyboard (w/out weighted keys) just like they would a grand piano. They are too different instruments. Players need to learn to adjust their playing to the instrument.

For a keyboard, all that's needed to sound louder is to turn up the volume. It boggles my mind how you can break a key on a keyboard due to playing. In my 12 years of playing the keyboard, I've never come close to breaking a key.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline KeyofB

• LGM Member

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:42 PM »
I was just telling someone this today. Keyboards and pianos are fit to people. Everyone doesn't sound good on every set of keys. I personally can't play on a keyboard without weighted keys with the touch on because it's like I overhit the keys or something. But OAN: You will never get that smooth sound without practice. I know people who still sound clunky or as my mother would say "pick" the piano and have been playing for years.

Offline apex

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
I don't really mean a classical in regards to the style of music, but just that polished overtone in everything. for example Rodney east. You can't get that touch without training

Rodney East and David Davis hanging out at Guitar Center

KORG KRONOS SPOTTED!!!!
I'm Blessed To Be A Blessing!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Docdb04

• LGM Member
  • I Stand At the Door and Knock

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »
In a nutshell, there are no shortcuts Many of the great musicians have had a training in a certain style (classical, jazz, etc).  What they did was take a little bit from everything they've learned to create their own style.  Very few musicians (and I mean very few) sat down with basic music theory if any and said, "I like how this sounds, maybe I'll stick with this."  Even then, it was their ear that picked up a certain style and they attached to it.  So it all comes from a training in a style.  I can almost guarantee, JT and Rodney East have a few choices of styles while they are playing and they are just picking from their mental library.  The key is you have to put something in your mental library to pull it out. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up