LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for SabianKnight...and everybody else!  (Read 970 times)

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

A question for SabianKnight...and everybody else!
« on: August 28, 2005, 08:40:59 PM »
Hey SB...i was just reading your post in the vic  firth poll thread...i see you are quite familiar with a lot of vater models.i play the dave weckl model by v.firth...the thing is i teach at this drum school and they're about to make a deal with vater for providing sticks to the teachers!so i wanted to ask you what would you say is the vater model that matches the feel,size,weight etc. of the weckls more closely?have you tried em'?what i like about them-besides their feel-is that -as david states in his dvd that they WANT to work with,know what i mean?if anybody else has some input i'll be very happy to read what you have to say...peace

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: A question for SabianKnight...and everybody else!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 11:39:54 PM »
Quote from: Funkaddictus_Groovus
Hey SB...i was just reading your post in the vic  firth poll thread...i see you are quite familiar with a lot of vater models.i play the dave weckl model by v.firth...the thing is i teach at this drum school and they're about to make a deal with vater for providing sticks to the teachers!so i wanted to ask you what would you say is the vater model that matches the feel,size,weight etc. of the weckls more closely?have you tried em'?what i like about them-besides their feel-is that -as david states in his dvd that they WANT to work with,know what i mean?if anybody else has some input i'll be very happy to read what you have to say...peace

Yes I have played with the Weckl Evolution stick a quite few times (in Guitar Center, LOL).

Vater stix to try: New orleans Jazz (wood), Sugar Maple -  Recording or the Recording (hickory... may be slightly heavier than you want in the hickory), Teardrop Cymbal Stick (maple), Lil John Robert's Philly Style stick (hickory).
** The maple models are light and very durable, solid sticks.
These would probaly bethe closest feel in size (diameter) and 16" length ( Lil John's is 16 1/8").

The best overall balance stick that makes me feel it wants to do the work is the Steward Copeland Standard. It is a different feel than the Weckl but it really plays itsellf in my opinion. I love it. It feels longer because it is so balanced from end to end. great cymbal defintion and full yet defined sound on the toms.

Vater sticks tend to be slightly heavier than Vic Firths because of the drying process Vater uses. Vater doesn't have near as many acorn/tear drop tip stick as Vic Firth.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Zilpex

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 11:52:48 PM »
I was gonna suggest the Lil' John Roberts stick also......

Offline Funkaddictus_Groovus

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:43:27 PM »
Thnx guys...i've been using the copeland model a while back but then i couldn't find it anymore...vater has a poor distribution down here!i've never seen the lil' john model...well,anyway the quest goes on :) ....once more thnx for the info...

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 06:53:27 PM »
Quote from: Funkaddictus_Groovus
Thnx guys...i've been using the copeland model a while back but then i couldn't find it anymore...vater has a poor distribution down here!i've never seen the lil' john model...well,anyway the quest goes on :) ....once more thnx for the info...

Where do you live bruh?

Have whatever store or spot online and order a "brick" of sticks in whatever model you want.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline TamaMan

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »

Funny i jus bought a pair of stewart copleland standards. they r cool. I have pair of pacific drum 7a stix which made wonder if i could find a heavier pair similar and it was the vater stewart copeland. Then i found a pair of john otto  
stix made by zildjian and the jam.The're black also!Is it jus me but different stick tip heads make your sd sound different.I can totally tell the difference on the cymbols... but also bigger tips can b darker and smaller tips can brighter with more snare res. whatcha think! am i crazy.....Yea kinda coocco LOL!

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 01:44:38 AM »
No, your are not crazy. You are dead on. Different tips do have different sounds on the drums and on the cymbals.

That is one rason that I have so many different kinds in my stick bag all the time.

Yes, big tips (barrel and round) give a warmer, fuller tone on toms and cymbals. Round tips in general rebound better and give more ping on the cymbals. Elongated tips tend to give a nice, broad mid-range sound on the cymbalts and toms. Acorns and Tear Drops are mid-range yet articulate (defined). Small barrels are defined/precise on toms and cymbals.

You have to have a good ear for the subtle to really appreciate the differences in sticks.

Like the 17" nylon tip DSK... A lot people think that is too big and heavy when they look at it but the weight is so evenly distributed that it is lighter than many shorter and smaller diameter sticks making it a fairly fast stick. Like playing with a Steward Copeland Standard on steroids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up