LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stanley Jordan  (Read 3293 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Stanley Jordan
« on: September 14, 2005, 10:46:44 AM »
The other day I was watch BET Jazz and Stanley Jordan was play.  This is the first time I had actually heard him play.  I was completely blown away.  I just cant understaqnd how he could play the guitar by tapping it, and then when he started play two at the same time, I just changed the channel.
:)

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member
  • Men always ought to pray and not lose heart.
    • Check out some of my music!

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2005, 11:46:03 AM »
I saw him live when he first got popular...around '85 or so...blew me away.

And he's so quiet and humble.

Pieces of a Dream opened up the show. They were excellent!  8)
Music theory is not always music reality.

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

wowzer!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2005, 12:45:27 PM »
dido!...

do not try this without parental supervision!...

also check out  http://www.tuckandpatti.com/

another sick dude named Tuck....(some things he plays are unverifiable!)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Well.....
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2005, 12:50:26 PM »
One thing I know for sure, it is not good (well not good for me, as a beginner) to look at stuff like that because I feel like I will never eva eva even come close to playing like that.

Offline gapstander

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 12:53:43 AM »
I met a guy in a guitar store many years ago that had recently attended a seminar where he played with Stanley. He said someone asked Stanley what method he used to recover from or incorporate his mistakes when playing. (jazz musicians will know what he meant by that)
Stanley's response was that he practices so much that he NEVER makes any mistakes.   WHHHEEEW!!!   He IS an awsome guitar player.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

Re: Well.....
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 02:07:44 PM »
Quote from: 4hisglory
One thing I know for sure, it is not good (well not good for me, as a beginner) to look at stuff like that because I feel like I will never eva eva even come close to playing like that.

Be inspired by it. Even though maybe you or I won't ever be as good as the crazy-good players like S. Jordan or whoever, we can still be amazed by the heights that they've taken the instrument.

And we should always try to cop SOMETHING from what they're playing. Every simple lick that we can catch and "borrow" for our own playing, we should do that.

Offline WmDekooning

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »
I think I better put on my "Gorton of Glouchester" man outfit on...

I think Stanley Jordan is lame.  His tapping technique, while incredible is usually coupled with his banal choice of tunes.  

The two hand technique is largely credited to Emmett Chapman inventor of the "Chapman Stick".  Probably 5000 people max play them.  They're kinda pricey, even a cheap one is a few grand.

In DC where I live, there's a guy who does the two hand thing.  He's kind of lame too. :lol:

tondee

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 02:40:30 PM »
I probably would be able to say Stanley is lame, tooo...IF I was able to play like that or better??!!!

Tony

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

I guess
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:42:34 PM »
I guess you always have your people that hate. :)

Offline WmDekooning

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2005, 11:45:55 AM »
Okeh...

Let me re-phrase if I may.  

Stanley's technique is amazing.  The man can play.  I am at the lowest level of two-hand technique even after almost 20 years of playing music.  I don't know him personally, but I have never heard anything bad about him, and I'm sure that his Mama loves him.

I just think he wastes his talent on really lame material.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2005, 12:39:26 PM »
Quote from: WmDekooning
Okeh...

Let me re-phrase if I may.  

Stanley's technique is amazing.  The man can play.  I am at the lowest level of two-hand technique even after almost 20 years of playing music.  I don't know him personally, but I have never heard anything bad about him, and I'm sure that his Mama loves him.

I just think he wastes his talent on really lame material.

Maybe he likes that material?

Not everything is for everybody. I had to learn this over the years with operatic music. I, personally, can't listen to opera. It drives me insane in a bad way...all that vibrato and indistinguishable wailing...BUT I recognize the talent and skill that goes into being able to sing opera so I have high respect for it.
Still, I can't stand it (even though my sis-in-law is a pro opera singer).

So while Stanley may not pick the most hip tunes to play according to you, it might be just what his heart tells him to play.
Or maybe it's the choice of some lame record producer...  :lol:

Offline Estring

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 11:28:59 AM »
Quote from: gapstander
I met a guy in a guitar store many years ago that had recently attended a seminar where he played with Stanley. He said someone asked Stanley what method he used to recover from or incorporate his mistakes when playing. (jazz musicians will know what he meant by that)
Stanley's response was that he practices so much that he NEVER makes any mistakes.   WHHHEEEW!!!   He IS an awsome guitar player.

Whew!  That boy is dangerous!   8)

Offline LostBoy

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 12:51:46 AM »
Another crazy sick player is Phil Keaggy. I had the pleasure of watching him live during Chet Atkins days here in Nashville a few years back at the Wildhorse Saloon.

He actually played a song and made it VERY musical while tuning the instrument. He also demonstrated a freaky ability to copy anything anyone else played on the spot and not only play it the way they did but turn it around backwards from ending to beginning! And we're not talking Mary Had a Little Lamb here. I'm talking monster shred type licks. It was sick!

But his true artistry was in playing a song itself. The man is just uniquely blessed and talented. He seems so sensitive to the needs of the song, often foregoing flash and opting instead for beautiful simplicity. What amazed me was how he allowed a song to breathe. Though he can play lightning fast (while still playing very clean), he usually chose to stick to melodious lines and it seemed to me that he thought like a horn or wind player. He "paused for breath" during his solos. That's right, absolute silence in places or long legato phrases. Then when he did do something amazing it really stood out.

I've enjoyed his work immensely through the years, especially some of his early work. One of my favorite albums was one he did with Second Chapter of Acts called How the West Was One.  He also played on 2nd Chapter's debut album. Just an amazing player.

Kelsey

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 11:02:51 PM »
Lostboy,

What's a good website to check out Phil Keaggy?  Let me know.  Thanks.

Offline LostBoy

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 08:37:01 AM »
Try the following sites

This is the official site - http://www.philkeaggy.com

Here is a great fan site - http://www.philkeaggy.net

Those two should keep you busy for awhile. You can also find his music on Amazon.com.

Offline gtrdave

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2005, 11:40:10 AM »
Quote from: LostBoy
Try the following sites

This is the official site - http://www.philkeaggy.com

Here is a great fan site - http://www.philkeaggy.net

Those two should keep you busy for awhile. You can also find his music on Amazon.com.

Phil is excellent. I've got a couple of his discs/tapes. "Beyond Nature" is my fav.
Some of his vocal stuff I'm not real big on...sounds too George Harrison-ish for my liking...but that guy's a killer guitarist.

Another great is a Phil Keaggy protoge' of sorts; Ty Tabor from King's X. He's one of the most unique rock guitarists I've ever heard. Tone from Heaven.  8)

Offline LostBoy

• LGM Member

Stanley Jordan
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 09:07:06 AM »
Quote from: gtrdave

Another great is a Phil Keaggy protoge' of sorts; Ty Tabor from King's X. He's one of the most unique rock guitarists I've ever heard. Tone from Heaven.  8)

You're not kidding. Ty is awesome. I saw King's X here in Nashville a few years back with Galactic Cowboys. What a great show. Ty's tone is killer. It's hard to believe he gets that kind of tone from a solid state amp. He was using a Zion that night mostly.

The thing that was so amazing was how much sound three guys could make and you really didn't miss anything. It was very full and big. Honestly it sounded like a CD.  And they were so tight both musically and vocally. They did a breakdown during Groove Machine that would drive ordinary musicians nuts. It was full of odd time signatures and rests that were impossibly complicated but they nailed them.  Just a great band.

The Galactic Cowboys were incredible too.

Funny story. During King X's set Doug's bass rig went down and they had to borrow a rig from the Cowboys who had already put their stuff up. While they were setting up Ty jokingly asked for requests.  True to form whenever someone in the south asks for requests in such a fashion someone is going to yell out - "Free Bird!" And of course they did. So Ty broke into it for a few bars.  There was something I never thought I'd see-King's X doing southern rock.  

On the subject of Phil Keaggy. As incredible as he is with his usual acoustic-oriented stuff, have you ever heard him rip? There's a song on the first 2nd Chapter of Acts album called "Yahweh" and his playing is just unworldly good on it. It's kind of heavy to be 2COA.  He also played guitar on a Matthew Ward solo that was released in the late 70's and done some incredible things there too working solely as a "band" member. And what a band it was. Phil Keaggy on guitar, Ray Parker Jr on guitar as well, Abraham Laboriel on bass, Keith Green on piano, and Michael O'Martian on synth. I'm not sure who the drummer was though. The album was Matthew Ward's first solo record and was entitled "Toward Eternity". It's out of print now but you can hear some excerpts at the following URL http://matthewward.com/music/Toward.shtml#  Warning it's obviously a bit dated but when you consider it was done on a shoestring budget in the late 70's....  Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up