LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polychords  (Read 5932 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

JOe...
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2005, 10:09:43 AM »
Joe Sample sucks :)
:)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2005, 10:26:43 AM »
See!

Now, you're just being pugnacious

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Well...
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2005, 10:30:35 AM »
pugnacious (puhg-NAY-shuhs), adj.: Disposed to fight; inclined to fighting; quarrelsome; fighting.

:D
:)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2005, 11:39:16 AM »
LOL

Don't you LOVE www.dictionary.com???

Whenever I think I use a word too much, I look for a synonym.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

Polychords
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2005, 11:39:31 AM »
Hey, Hey, Hey...I'm the teacher, remember!?  :lol:  :lol:

I'd like to work on being able to chord with my left hand. All I do know is play octaves or fifths or dom 7ths (sometimes)...

Next year, I hope.

Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

Polychords
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2005, 11:47:41 AM »
I'd like to work on being able to chord with my left hand. All I do know is play octaves or fifths or dom 7ths (sometimes)...[/quote]

I only chord with my left if my left is in the middle to upper registers. If using lower registers with my left hand, I usually arpeggiate with no more than 3 notes in my left hand. For example,

1, 5, dom7
1, 5, maj7
1, 5, 1 octave
1, 5, 3 octave

What do others do? B3, I've already read generally what you do.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2005, 11:53:57 AM »
Quote from: sjonathan02
Hey, Hey, Hey...I'm the teacher, remember!?  :lol:  :lol:

I'd like to work on being able to chord with my left hand. All I do know is play octaves or fifths or dom 7ths (sometimes)...

Next year, I hope.

Jonathan

Yea. I rarely do straight 5ths. If I do a fifth, I either make it a full chord or add a octave, 6th or 7th to it. That's if it's in my left hand. I do plain 5ths, in the right...sometimes.

We need to swap some skills! LOL....I have to relearn how to run my bass lines.

Offline T-Block

• LGM Member
  • I got my MBA!!!

Polychords
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2005, 12:02:39 PM »
Man, I am so jealous of u now B3.  :D  :lol:

I wanna chord with my left hand too.  Does it take a long to time to learn?  All I do is play octaves or 5ths in my left hand.  Most of the time I am running bass lines cuz i am the only bass player at my church, so when I'm on the keyboard, i have to fill in the bass too.
Real musicians play in every key!!!
Music Theory, da numbers work!

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

Polychords
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2005, 12:11:40 PM »
Quote from: T-Block

I wanna chord with my left hand too.  Does it take a long to time to learn?  All I do is play octaves or 5ths in my left hand.  Most of the time I am running bass lines cuz i am the only bass player at my church, so when I'm on the keyboard, i have to fill in the bass too.

Chording in the left is oftentimes easier. Here's why: when chording in with the left, I usually only do it at the middle to higher registers. Accordingly, the right is playing only the melody. This works well and sounds good when I have a bassist. When I don't have a bassist, this technique makes the music feel like something could be beefier underneath. However, my girlfriend likes the less beefy sound better. Go figure.

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2005, 12:29:13 PM »
Quote from: playhear
Quote from: T-Block

Chording in the left is oftentimes easier. Here's why: when chording in with the left, I usually only do it at the middle to higher registers. Accordingly, the right is playing only the melody. This works well and sounds good when I have a bassist. When I don't have a bassist, this technique makes the music feel like something could be beefier underneath. However, my girlfriend likes the less beefy sound better. Go figure.

Yea. I'm with playhear. It is easier, to me. I don't have to think about improvising, which is what you have to do with a bass line. I just chord the bass note and do subsitutions on the right, which is usually a chord based off the 2nd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

If you have a good bassist or drummer, you're more free to chord with your left hand, but it does sound slightly open, if you just do chords in the left all the time, like me.

It doesn't take too long to learn. You can do it faster, if you have a bass player, because then you can just practice playing songs with your left hand...which is kind of hard, at first. The second method is to just play the major progressions with your left, chording each note....For instance, in another post, a dude was asking about a 7-3-6...

You can do a 7dom, 3dom, and 6min...or with a 2-5-1, you can do 2min7, 5dom, 1Maj7 or 1Maj6.

Offline oversabby

• LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2005, 06:18:06 PM »
B3Wannabe

Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:29 am    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

playhear wrote:
T-Block wrote:
Man, I am so jealous of u now B3.  

I wanna chord with my left hand too. Does it take a long to time to learn? All I do is play octaves or 5ths in my left hand. Most of the time I am running bass lines cuz i am the only bass player at my church, so when I'm on the keyboard, i have to fill in the bass too.

Yea. I'm with playhear. It is easier, to me. I don't have to think about improvising, which is what you have to do with a bass line. I just chord the bass note and do subsitutions on the right, which is usually a chord based off the 2nd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

hello B3Wannabe!
can i get an example of what you mean by the substition in your right hands based off 2nd ,4th,5th,or 6th.
Thanks!

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Polychords
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2005, 09:14:03 PM »
Here are a few progressions:

Key B

2-5-1
C#min7 \ C#-F#-B  
F#Maj \ D#-G#-C#
B6 \ C#-D#-G#-C#

7-3-6
A#dom (no 5) \ B-E-G#
D#Maj (no 5) \ C#-F#-A#
G#dom \ A#-D#-A#

1-4-5
BMaj \ G#-C#-F#
D#Maj \ C#-F#-A#
EMaj \ C#-D#-F#-B

I actually view both hands as 1 chord. I'm justwriting it out, like this, because most people understand it better this way.

The left hand chords are all root inversions.

Offline Pianogurl

• LGM Member
  • i love music

Chording with left hand
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2005, 05:27:18 PM »
I totally agree with B3. it is easy. Dont get me wrong, it do take practice.but you will get it reallly soon :D
dont say you love music if you dont even like to practice
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up