LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Role of the Bassist  (Read 2388 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Role of the Bassist
« on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:21 AM »
In your opinion what is the role of the bassist in a band?
:)

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 09:06:04 AM »
Dude....This is like one of the biggest debates--other than the 4-string only one.

Just have fun, and listen to the band. Usually, if there is a bassist, the band will play around your bass line. If someone else starts to play bass then listen to what they're doing and play the major changes. Finally, don't get depressed, if you can't pick up the bass lines fast, or if the band starts ragging on you. Bassists and drummers get a lot of pressure, because if they're off then everyone will be off.

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

There...
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:29:51 AM »
There are basses with more than 4 strings/??? :D  j/k
:)

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

ok
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 02:16:57 PM »
..Most probably to give the group a defined bottom!....sonicly without a bass the group might sound weaker...but by adding the bass it fills the sound out.  Often it supplies the pulse of the song if there is a defined bass line....(mowtown type songs)...If there is an organist the bass tends to make the sound tighter because the pedal bass in somewhat duller than plucked or slapped strings on a bass.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 03:16:47 PM »
i heard something this sunday, at church we had a duet with a keyboardist. a drummer jumped in, and the sound change was amazing it went from nice to wow. i could only imagine what a bass would add. i think the bass adds a heart beat to the music

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »
the bass is meant to be a solo instrument up front and in your face !! :twisted: over riding the whole band !!!even when its sounding muddy just lift up your pants and dig in !! J/K

mikegee,
seeeeeeeee you should've had your bass so you could have filled in that spot...  :lol:
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 08:00:05 PM »
Quote from: Dtuned
the bass is meant to be a solo instrument up front and in your face !! :twisted: over riding the whole band !!!even when its sounding muddy just lift up your pants and dig in !! J/K

mikegee,
seeeeeeeee you should've had your bass so you could have filled in that spot...  :lol:

It does make an awsome solo instrument. Yea, should of. my bass was there it was my sunday to play and this was a special. i have already been on. i was about to and i chickened out i feel so ashamed  :cry:

Offline funkStrat_97

• LGM Member
  • Da' House Rocka' is in Da' House!
    • Facebook

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »
Bass is the heartbeat of the music.  Even when practicing chords by myself on guitar, the bass notes are what drive the harmony.  I can play a C major triad, but if I add an A in the bass, that chord is now an A minor 7.
“Don't bother to give God instructions, just report for duty”
- Corrie Ten Boom

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 09:19:49 PM »
Quote from: MikeGee
i was about to and i chickened out i feel so ashamed

BUCK...BUCK...BUCKA!

I look at all times that I play as practice times, so even if I'm in church on a Sunday, I'll still experiment. If I mess up...oh well....I don't care what the people in the audience think about my playing, but I do experiment in the spirit, so I wouldn't do something that I feel is off from the start, but if I feel something would work, I'll try it, even if I hadn't practiced it before.

Offline Dtuned

• LGM Member
  • sr3500custom

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 11:47:04 AM »
mikegee,
chalk this up as a good lesson both musical/spiritual.

if you rose to the accasion God would've blessed you, step out in Faith and you'd be surprised to see what God Will do..

No one would expect you to play perfect especially a song you're unfamilar with.. musicians at my church do the same thing, if they're not asked to play the special they'll sit it out.. but when i use to play on the platform i would play every chance, like B3 said all playing times are practice times..

besides if you want to help develop ear training that is the best time, next time turn you amp down during a special and try to pick out your part.. ask the keyboardist what key they'll be in before they start, then when you're more familar with the song gradually turn it up.. You will be Blessed by God no matter how you do!!
It also helps to be familar with keys, and if you have a visual standpoint while playing bass you can see what their playing.

NEXT TIME STEP OUT :lol:
rob
spirit check, testing 1,2,3...testing, testing. a scripture a day will keep the enemy at bay. :0)

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • my out of church band

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 10:19:31 PM »
Your right but I'm a bit shy.  8O  5 years of choir and playing bass at church and i'm shy. it's a lil different for me when I have been assigned to play. next time I think i will do so/

Offline WmDekooning

• LGM Member

Role of the Bassist
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 11:33:58 AM »
Hey ya'll!

This is my first time posting "here".  I have read some interesting things while lurking in the background, there is a lot of wisdom being shared.

I am new to playing gospel music, having played Punk Rock-Art Fag music, Urban Contemporary and Smooth Jass (For $$$, natch), Punk Rock-Rebel Music, Blues, Country, Bar Band Rock.  All that, and I still don't play exceptionally well! :lol:

Anyway, this Gospel thing is the music education that I should have had.  I am doing a lot of reading music to write my own charts and lead sheets, I almost know what key is what by looking at the key signature.  Soon I might even be able to recognize a key by ear!
ask the keyboardist what key they'll be in before they start, then when you're more familar with the song gradually turn it up..
So let me preface by asking, are like Organists/Keyboardists some kind of other life form?  And how did they get to be in charge?

I started out really digging our Organist/MoM, but lately he has just gotten me out of the Spirit in a bad way, and I don't like to feel that way in church.  Like go out and walk around the block a few times angry.  To make a long short, we had agreed to meet early on two occasions where he showed up an hour late and on the second, wasted the time that we had talking on subjects unrelated to getting the music down properly.

I by and large am not so interested in playing with him and finding some other way to do the Lord's work if possible.  The downside of that is that playing for the choir has gotten me back to playing my bass after more than 7 years of not doing so at all, and more than 10 of not doing so regularly.
 :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up