LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Licks / Chops???  (Read 909 times)

Offline young_drumz

• LGM Member
  • Blessed and Highly Favored in GOD!!

Licks / Chops???
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:28:43 AM »
Does anyone have any idea how to get cleaner chops, because i am a pocket drummer but i usually dont solo, but i do a lil sum sum when i feel that God lead me to.  I was thinking just to practice more on my rudiments, play on pillows, or whatever but if anyone else has an idea of what i should do could you please let me know!!!!

Offline scoop

• LGM Member
    • http://

Licks / Chops???
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »
young_drums,

Keep doing what you're doing... Practice, practice,practice... Takes time. Do rudiments, invent patterns around the set. Copy stuff you see and try to come up with variations. Sing out drum licks... If you can do it with your mouth, you can play it. Also, and other ppl might say 'what does this have to do with drums?' Pray, study, I mean really Study your word!!! We can all do the physical stuff. I mean we could all be just like one of the greats if we wanted it that badly, but getting your spirit man's chops up will eventually manifest in your playing!

Sorry I don';t have anything more concrete, but I hope this helps.

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: Licks / Chops???
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 07:43:08 PM »
Quote from: young_drumz
Does anyone have any idea how to get cleaner chops, because i am a pocket drummer but i usually dont solo, but i do a lil sum sum when i feel that God lead me to.  I was thinking just to practice more on my rudiments, play on pillows, or whatever but if anyone else has an idea of what i should do could you please let me know!!!!

Practice, Study, Practice , Study...

If you can sing it you can play it is very true and it improves your timing. If you can't do a lick in the pocket it is useles. Everything has to be played in time for it to be worth using. Pratice a tdifferent volumes, different tempos, and differnt styles, leading with both the left and right hand and in different direction around the drum kit. Even lead in and out with the foot or replace a hand hit with a foot hit.

There is know short cut to time practicing and understanding. Working with a metronome will help speed thing up slightly. Learning to read/write basic notation speeds things up as well (at least after you learn how to read and write).

Get you some good DVDs that have been recommended on this site. Subscribe to Modern Drummer and Rhythm magazines and search the internet. If you really want to improve the info is out there.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline AMarshall

• LGM Member

Licks / Chops???
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005, 07:58:14 PM »
Practice every chop incredibly slow to get the pattern down. Then gradually, after it's practiced try to use it in a musical situation.
Stay Blessesd
Pages: [1]   Go Up