LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2nd Re-union Thank You  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Nerakwms

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« on: June 22, 2003, 06:41:06 AM »
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
1. Daryl- for reserving the location for the 2nd Re-Union
2. Amy-for the theory lessons and nuggets to fill in songs
3. Marvin-for the lessons on scales, fillers, progression, left hand
    Chording, shout chords, preacher chords and worship chords
4. Lisa-for the lesson on 6th chord songs, the lesson on 3-6-2-5-1 progression with “I Won’t Complain” as an example and your ability to simplify and reinforce all that we were exposed to this weekend.
5. Sharon, Janet, - Those 12 melody songs that can be sung using the same pattern
6. Ruth-for access to your collection of songs in notebook.
7.  TJ – for sharing your rendition of songs
8.Geraldine-support and chauffeuring
9. Herman for the night tour of Memphis

God blessings on all of you, including the students that were not on the itinerary but thought enough to attend…Our mission is still the same whether you are in the pulpit or on the paino/organ bench:

19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.   Matt 28:19-20 (NKJV)

16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  Col 3:16 (NKJV)
See you at the next Reunion!!!

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://www.lisamholden.com

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2003, 03:26:59 PM »
Where did the 3 people go??? The 2 that showed up from Atlanta, and the gentleman from Alabama??  You missed it:  Mysteryman did shouting music, progressions, turn arounds, and then I taught too.  I pray that you were not abducted by strangers during the short break that we took.

Daryl, many thanks for coordinating the 2nd Union.  God has richly blessed us all to know you and what you're doing to further the gospel through music.

Next year's 3rd Annual Reunion will be out-the-box!  Start saving your pennies now to make a commitment to attend.  You MUST have headphones for your keyboard too.  One ear covered, the other uncovered to hear the teacher.  My nerves can't take all that plunking...lol.  

Herman, wouldn't say 2 words...YES, THE HERMAN!  I'm still baffled by that.  I just want to know am I really like my picture, Herman???

Be Blessed!  I have travel-plane-lag and I'm going to take a nap.  

Lisa
www.lisamholden.com
If "seeing is believing", try believing without seeing!

Offline saintj

• LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2003, 01:13:21 AM »
Hello to all

I must say I really enjoyed myself again this year, and it just keeps getting better and better.. Thank God for the basic theory and thank Amy for her willingness to teach her version.. :D That circle of fifths keeps getting easier and easier. .. Especially to those of us who thought that basic theory was not needed..  We all found out its the foundation to music.  And I personally think that every year we should have the basics for those who may need it, we can really appreciate it.  I really enjoyed myself and it just seems as though time really flys when you're having fun.. I hated to leave.  :D  Thanks to Marvin for his shout chords, all the scales, & progressions.. and just for his willing attitude. It was greatly appreciated.. I have learned something each year, and hopefully someone else will share their expertise next year.. Sharon, you were a inspiration to me the way you played those G chords and just your spirit alone shined like a light.. Daryl may God richly bless you.. I will be posting more this year.. Thanks for your vision and for just keeping it simple and letting us all know that its not about show boating, and who's the best, but about coming together to edify one another.. And I like the way Karen put it admonishing one another in Songs & Praise.. Karen the Korg is worth it, but you already have a full band.   Its refreshing to see that everyone is able to, and have a desire to share with others on how the Lord has blessed them and not hogg it to themselves.... Mystery man tell your friend he has a awsome voice and it all started with his desire.. now let others know his awsome talent.. It was nice to meet everyone else and Herman thanks for the long ride on Friday nite.. Hope you are feeling better.. Ruth you are branching out, the key of F can no longer hold you.. I see C and G around the corner..  and to everyone else I had the priviledge of meeting.. See you next year..Janet

Offline 2octaves

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2003, 03:10:33 AM »
Glad to hear everything went well guys. I am so jealous  8O  8O of you guys but this make me more determine to learn my instrument and years to come start my own learngospelmusic family here in South Africa.
So when can we have the pictures and videos and is there theory you want to share with us that was discussed at the union?
What was the total amount of people attending this year and did it break the record of last year?
Till later:twisted:  :twisted:
Mike

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2003, 08:13:28 AM »
Janet, it was great to see you again!!  I agree:  Amy, did an excellent job with the basics, theory and the circle of fifths.  Her approach was very logical.  And yes:  Each year we DO need the basics.  Each year, there will be beginners and people who haven't gotten that yet.  As well as I know the circle of fifth, I picked up tips on phrases that Amy used to explain it.  

I see next years Reunion on the horizon.  The date will be announced soon (within a month) right Daryl?  I believe I have a partner to help coordinate it and really make it convenient for everyone to get to Memphis again.  Are we always the 3rd weekend in June?  

Prayerful and thankful,
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com

Offline B3Wannabe

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2003, 08:35:43 AM »
:(

I wish I could've attended. I'll be there next year though! I like this kind of stuff! Theory and exchange is good! God blesses us all that way.

I'm soooooooooooo sorry
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2003, 09:02:16 AM »
I very much wished to be there, I was all set to go and have all this stuff printed out and it's sitting here! I apologize for not making it, good to hear others stepping up to the plate...looks like a good time was had by all

itsallpeach

WOW!
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2003, 10:28:11 AM »
It was hard to talk and be in slight pain at the same time, but I enjoyed seeing everyone this weekend.  He gave me a new antibiotic on Thursday that had me itching "out-tha-box" (as Lisa would say) but Saturday night at the hotel was the BEST TIME OF ALL!  We (Marvin, TJ, Sharon, Daryl, and I) finally sat down to play and Marvin took the simplest things and BLEW OUR MINDS!  I learned the hard way how important it is to start at the BASICS and then try to build.  Trying to do too much fancy stuff at once (especially before you are able to tell HOW and WHY you did it) is not good!

I will definitely be in the beginner's class last year.  But I wanted to make sure that everyone enjoyed Memphis.  Next year, perhaps Lisa and I can get together on the dinner situation in advance and everyone can give their opinions of things to do after hours so we can actually have a schedule.

By the way, AMY AND HER SISTER are the bomb!  Their personalities were shining very brightly and they had nothing but encouraging things to say (even to those of us "unadvanced" musicians).  Sharon and Ruth were exactly as I imagined they would be. . . and (drumroll) . . . LISA IS EVEN PRETTIER IN PERSON THAT SHE IS ON KODAK!

Daryl. . .you're a class act.  How you could sleep with all of that music playing was beyond me!  MARVIN. . .open your music school NOW!  You have a gift for teaching.  I was sitting at the piano at my house yesterday and some of the things you showed me came back to me. . .even though I didn't write them down!   You're an excellent teacher. . .and that thing about taking the chords up instead of down was a Godsend!

I am glad that everyone enjoyed Ryan's (looks like that will be a hit for next year) and Red Lobster.  Due to budget issues, perhaps I can get my grandmother to cook us a full-fledged dinner one day.  Hmmmm. . . .

I THINK ALL OF YOU GUYS SHOULD PACK UP AND MOVE TO MEMPHIS AND WE SHOULD DO THIS EVERY WEEKEND!!!

Offline piano-lady

• LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2003, 01:21:09 PM »
Well, I'm home and tired ... andwas glad to see my own bed.

It was so good seeing the group from last year and meeting the others. Marvin has such a kind spirit. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing you and don't forget to let me know when you come to B'ham, O.K. And Lisa, you're right... the 3 that checked out early missed a treat.  Marvin was off the chain and you ended thing for us with a lot packed up in a little package. And thanks for the "special help".  Hate we didn't get to visit much.  I need to come a day earlier next time.

People...KAREN HAS A BAND ALL BY HERSELF!!!  8O   I mean this woman had everything a person would need. Now that's prepared. And she most definately doesn't look her age!!!! It was great meeting you. Amy, you did an excellent job and I didn't forget about getting you a copy of my tape.  Sent me your address again, o.k.  I just spoke with Sharon and she is getting ready to board her flight. Janet, look out, C and G are heavy on my mind right now. T.J., boy you can blow!!!

herman...I was a little disappointed.  We didn't get a chance to cut up together.  Maybe next year. :lol:  Sharon and I had a lot of time to kick it Sunday afternoon. We had a nice visit.

For the person who asked for numbers...there were 9 of us in Dallas (not counting friends, just musicians) and there were 12 this time. (Hope I didn't miscount).
The only downfall was...I didn't have an Elvis sighting!
Thanks Daryl for all that you did. And you CAN PLAY. We both just need more confidence.  Next year, we're gonna be ready for them, right???!!!

Be blessed everyone,
Ruth
P.S.  Marvin, did you ever make it to the church???

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

Re: 2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2003, 02:14:09 PM »
Praise-a-lujah!!! Glad you guys had a great time. I'm just sorry I missed out!! :cry:  

Next year, if it's in Memphis again, I really should be able to make it since we WILL be moving to Little Rock, Arkansas in 2 months!! I thinks that's just a 3 hour drive away!!

Cudos to you Daryl You have done a great job coordinating & hosting this year's Union!!

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Reunion
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2003, 05:22:55 PM »
I am greatful to God for the fellowship we all had in the reunion I still feel like I may have been a little boring. But I learned somethings from all of you that I will be putting into practice in the up coming weeks. I hope to see you all next year. And Ruth and Karen if I get a chance to come to AL I will be getting in touch.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2003, 07:50:55 PM »
IM HOME!!!!

I really enjoyed myself in Memphis. Lisa thanks for the help. I can play in the key of F now!!! :lol: . Karen you are off the hook girl with that band you have. Ruth and Daryl you both can really play well. You just have just believe in yourself. I am trying to believe in myself. Marvin thanks to you for all that help until 1 am in the morning. I am going to use everything you gave me. HERMAN HERMAN HERMAN you can play very well. I really enjoyed listening to you. Amy you did an excellent job on theory and thanks for all the tips.
Everything was just wonderful!
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: WOW!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2003, 08:21:16 PM »
Quote from: itsallpeach
Next year, perhaps Lisa and I can get together on the dinner situation in advance and everyone can give their opinions of things to do after hours so we can actually have a schedule.

. . . LISA IS EVEN PRETTIER IN PERSON THAT SHE IS ON KODAK!

Herman,
Amen on the dinner and plans.  We are in the thinking process already on how to facilitate social time and music time.  I'm a teacher: I have to plan everyday.  Planning is my life :-)

And, thank you for the kind compliments!!!  I'm blushing for certain now  :lol: It's all Jean & Howard's fault (my parents !)  I'm just plain old "me" to me.  

Be Blessed!
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com

Offline thekeynote

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2003, 08:23:50 PM »
Quote from: blessedone
IM HOME!!!!

I really enjoyed myself in Memphis. Lisa thanks for the help. I can play in the key of F now!!! :lol: . Karen you are off the hook girl with that band you have. Ruth and Daryl you both can really play well. You just have just believe in yourself. I am trying to believe in myself. Marvin thanks to you for all that help until 1 am in the morning. I am going to use everything you gave me. HERMAN HERMAN HERMAN you can play very well. I really enjoyed listening to you. Amy you did an excellent job on theory and thanks for all the tips.
Everything was just wonderful!

Sharon, it was great seeing you.  God has richly blessed your music ability. You are off the hook.  

BUT, I'M JEALOUS....YOU GOT TO HEAR HERMAN PLAY?!?!?  Dang!!!  He wouldn't play a note earlier.  I'm really jealous!!  Herman called me on my cell around 9:30 p.m...I was already in my pajamas, reading a book and chillin'.  I told him I was sick of the piano and didn't want to hear it or play it anymore that day!  Glad you all had a great time.

Talk w/you soon!
Love,
Lisa
www.lisamholden.com

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

I have....
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2003, 06:39:22 AM »
Finally, I have recovered from the Union. I had a wonderful time, a watch, in a few months, I plan on being much much better.  Its time to practice!!!!
Next year, everyone have to bring HEADPHONES!!! :d

There is nothing like one on one learning with people that know what they are doing an willing to share.  Its a good feeling to be able to ask anyone in the room to show you how they do that and they don't mind at all showing you stuff no matter how long it takes.  God is good, that is exactly what I needed.
:)

itsallpeach

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2003, 08:49:58 AM »
Asking each other the same types of questions in person as we do here is cool. . .and receiving even clearer instructions in person makes it even better!  Anyone who missed it should DEFINITELY come next year (hopefully it will be in Memphis again).  Surely in a year I'll be completely healed!  I went to the doctor Monday and was off work yesterday.  Because they did LASER surgery and the skin has to grow back and nerve endings have to mend back together, etc., walking is a "chore" when my clothes rub against the wound.  Now, I am wearing bandages (which have to be chaged twice per day), but at least now I can walk straight without looking like I need a cane - HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sharon. . .I got your message.  Sorry you and Marvin didn't make it to my church Sunday.  I directed a song, sang during the altar call, and even played one song because. . .ROBERT DIDN'T GET THERE UNTIL 11:25!!!!  He missed devotion and the congregational song of praise!!!  But we'll get back on that subject later!

MARVIN. . . .you are the bomb!  Go and tell John P. Kee or somebody to hire you NOW!  The world needs to hear how you make the most SIMPLE things sound like you're playing 50 notes with one finger!!!!  And I agree with the person who commented about your humble spirit. . .it will take you far!

RUTH. . .don't feel bad!  I've lived in Memphis for 30 years and have never seen Elvis.  Maybe he died for real. . .who knows?  Anybody seen Tupac yet???   Hmmmmmm. . . .

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Great
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2003, 09:05:00 AM »
Hey Herman, sorry for falling a sleep when you and Marvin were on the keys, but it was like 1:30 in the morning. Marvin is a good teacher one on one. And it makes me so mad that he can take 2 simple triads and make it sound sooooooo good. By next year, I hope to do the same thing. Hint HINT Myst!!!
:)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2003, 03:45:45 PM »
MARVIN. . . .you are the bomb!  Go and tell John P. Kee or somebody to hire you NOW!  The world needs to hear how you make the most SIMPLE things sound like you're playing 50 notes with one finger!!!!  And I agree with the person who commented about your humble spirit. . .it will take you far!

Im not sure John will hire me. I can play in all keys but kinda not at the same level in all for the moment. Someone told me he will test you in your keys?
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

itsallpeach

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2003, 04:22:59 PM »
WELL. . .the world needs to hear you!

Offline blessedone

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Sister in Christ

2nd Re-union Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2003, 11:49:02 AM »
Hermann I will DEFINITELY come to your church next year. I was really tired trying to process all that information from Marvin. He is the BOMB!!!
He make it sound so easy. Now I know you don't need all the fancy stuff to make a song sound good.
I am so motivated right now that I am considering going back to school for music. God has a calling upon me and I know I need to get busy.
Marvin thanks for all the help and I will be e-mailing you to drain you of more info :lol:
Daryl thanks to you also.  Everyone has something to share eventhough some of you say you can't play. That is a lie and the truth ain't in it like my mama always say.  :wink: You guys are just a blessing.

CAN'T WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!!
Without wood a fire goes out;without gossip a quarrel dies down
www.truefellowshipbc.org
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up