LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: which are the best hi-hats?  (Read 15667 times)

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

which are the best hi-hats?
« on: September 27, 2005, 11:22:51 AM »
I'm thinking to get the A mastersounds, quick beats, new beats OR AAX's.  what do y'all think?  What hi-hats have the best sound for church and just grooving?

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 11:29:13 AM »
I currently have 13" A Quick Beat Hats. I have also played the A Mastersounds they are very nice. But my preference, also, my next purchase will be 14" K Mastersound hats. I love those so much.

Zildjian Mastersound Hats are incredible, Whether you want A or K would be your pref.

God Bless.

Offline Ontherise

• LGM Member

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 11:55:52 AM »
I've got 10 in Paiste. I've never heard another hi-hat sound the way it does.
"The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary"

Offline mrwhite

• LGM Member

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 11:56:41 AM »
Thanks bro.  my the way, I checked out your site yesterday.  Pretty nice.  You need to post some pics of yourself, your family, and of course, your set!!!  I posted some other topics, help me out dogg!!!

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 12:05:53 PM »
Quote from: mrwhite
Thanks bro.  my the way, I checked out your site yesterday.  Pretty nice.  You need to post some pics of yourself, your family, and of course, your set!!!  I posted some other topics, help me out dogg!!!

Thanks. I got pics coming pretty soon. I just put the site up last week. So bear with me!! haha.

God Bless.

Offline Drummie_Syd

• LGM Member

Best Hats
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 12:53:11 PM »
I use K-Custom Mastersounds.  Very Versatile, with a tight chick and the wash for open playing is nice as well.

Offline 2TallDrummer

• LGM Member
  • Psalm 138:8
    • Myspace

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 01:42:40 PM »
I just purchased a pair of 13" Sabian AA Fusion Hats.  They're probably comparable to the Zildian K/Z combination.  I think they sound pretty good and are versatile.

j_kay

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 01:56:02 PM »
...the ones that has the most "chick" and defined stick sound to your ears!  *lol*

No, seriously - I think that it would be best for you to hear each model to ascertain which model produces the best sound.  Everyone has a preference of the "perfect" hi-hat sound. Who knows, you may like the A Custom Mastersound, or you may like the AAX (Stage, Fusion, Fast, etc) series of hats.

Don't worry about playing what others would approve of.  It's about what you like!  :)

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member
  • Art by C1... Thanx Bruh!

Re: which are the best hi-hats?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2005, 02:09:58 PM »
Quote from: mrwhite
I'm thinking to get the A mastersounds, quick beats, new beats OR AAX's.  what do y'all think?  What hi-hats have the best sound for church and just grooving?

I am with J_Kay hihats are personal. The big thing is to get a pro series .

I think that the 13" Quickbeats would do you good if you like Zils. For me Mastersounds don't offer enough subtle sizzle.

Sabian wis you could ru the gambit. I am partial to the 13" AAX Fast Hats=medium thin top for the nice wash  and an Extra Heavy vented bottom for the cutting chick. I also like the 14" AA Fusions and even the 14 AA Regulars.

Again hats are personal because you spend so much time on then. HiHats creat the attitude of a song. The way you play the hihat is what gives the vibe of the song so it needs to speak in your voice. Unfortunatley most of the superstores carry a limited stock of good sounds and the best sounds they usually do have. Go to the respective company web sites and listen to the sound clips of all the hats. Check the artist setups of artist you like and see what they are playing. You will have heard their sound on CD and you'll know if that's what you want to roll with. Read what the company says are the characteristics... this stuff is not a hustle but a description of the intended users sound.

I play 12" AA Minis and they cut, have a great chick, a nice wash but I need a second and larger set to accomodate certain songs, particularly ole skool stuff. You can't get ole skool sound from 12" hats and rarely 13"s . Remeber to consider the music you play most when picking size especially. THe industry has turned to 13"s mostly in the last few years.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

Offline bigblackdrummer

• LGM Member
  • Curtis Cyril Bernard
    • http://www.myspace.com/phatcurtisbernard

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
HHX Groove Hats Or HHX 13 Fusion Hats :wink:
Mapex Drums, Grant Custom Basses, Carparelli Basses, Istanbul Cymbals,!

Offline drumzalicious

• LGM Member
    • Calvin Fenner Website

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2005, 02:34:13 PM »
i think the 13" AAX Fusion Hats are the best.

JFunky

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 02:38:47 PM »
I really like the A Custom Mastersounds 13" and both Zildjian and Sabian 12". (Sabian AA Mini 12", Avedis Z 12")

I join the rest of you guys that said 13" K/Z Dynobeats and 13" AAX Fast Hats.  I haven't heard the Groove Hats yet.

j_kay

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 02:41:14 PM »
Quote from: SabianKnight
I am partial to the 13" AAX Fast Hats=medium thin top for the nice wash  and an Extra Heavy vented bottom for the cutting chick.

Whatchu say about the Fast Hats???  I heard a pair (on a hi-hat stand) for the first time, and I must say that I would trade my AAX Fusion hats in a second!  *lol*

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 04:08:32 PM »
Quote from: j_kay
Quote from: SabianKnight
I am partial to the 13" AAX Fast Hats=medium thin top for the nice wash  and an Extra Heavy vented bottom for the cutting chick.

Whatchu say about the Fast Hats???  I heard a pair (on a hi-hat stand) for the first time, and I must say that I would trade my AAX Fusion hats in a second!  *lol*

Fast Hats are the ONES to get in my opinion. You and I have very similar tastes. I don't think you'll be disappointed. They are tasty... crisp yet not too metallic.
Try not to become a person of success but rather a person of VALUE. - T. Harv Eker

j_kay

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 04:18:24 PM »
Yeah, man - I couldn't stop playing them!  Thry had an excellent stick sound, excellent foot chick sound as well as a nice sizzle/sloshy sound.  The Fusions are very nice, but I think that the Fast hats has an edge over them!  

Eccentric-Rhythm

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 05:03:44 PM »
Sabian, or j_kay, can you elaborate as to the difference in sound from a 12 to 13 or 14" hats? What sound should each produce? what is better for a church environment? and I like the K/Z Zildjians, what do you guys think?

God Bless.

Offline drummaboy93

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 05:14:00 PM »
I LIKE DA AAX 14 INCH STUDIOS. DOSE MY BABIES. I WISH I HAD DEM THO :lol: THOSE SOUND NICE 4REAL

Offline SabianKnight

• LGM Member

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2005, 06:39:57 PM »
Quote from: Eccentric-Rhythm
Sabian, or j_kay, can you elaborate as to the difference in sound from a 12 to 13 or 14" hats? What sound should each produce? what is better for a church environment? and I like the K/Z Zildjians, what do you guys think?

God Bless.

12"s cut. They are always crisp .They are good for recording. Great for busy, intricate hat patterns funk and drum-n-bass.

13"s are the new all-around. They have more body than 12s yet retain that crsip cut to get through electric music. fats response.

14"s tend to lend that big easy going sound if they are thin and a meaty sound if they are thicker. You hear 14s all the time because they are condisered the standard hihat size you they are necessarily unique   unless you just got that pair. 14"s and even 15"s are a definite for most heavier rock music because they have a big voice. Also for ole skool funk. *** Steve Jordan uses some proto type 17" hats in his latest Modern Drummer interview. Maybe even on the Alicia Keys track, "You Don't Know My Name" which he produced.

In today's church I recommend 13"s as your main hats and maybe running a set of 10"s or 12"s on an X-hat. If you do more up tempo funky stuff. If you have a fair shair of ballad worship songs then maybe runa set of 13" Fast Hat/Quick Beat/Master Sound/Edge type against another set of 13" Regular /New Beat type hat.

The other thing is brilliant versus natural/satin finish. THis affects the sound as well. Experiment as your ears mature you will/should add to your palette. The first step is to leave the B8s and such alone and invest in your sound... don't wait on the church to. I'll bet the feedback that you get from people will be positive.

Offline Da1witdastix

• LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 09:33:04 PM »
yo i got the one and only limited edition mini hi-hats Sabian AA 8" just picture to hi-hats together with a sweet sound and u kno what u get??? my hi-hat
I don\'t need a month I make history er\'yday

Offline ltcc

• LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2005, 03:31:33 PM »
THE BEST HI HATS THAT ARE CRISP CLEAN EVERYTHING ARE THE SABIAN FUSION HATS HANDS DOWN.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up