LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open or Barre Chords  (Read 2897 times)

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Open or Barre Chords
« on: October 24, 2005, 04:21:38 PM »
When first learning to play, should one learn the open chords or just learn the barre chords??
:)

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Re: Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 04:36:57 PM »
Quote from: 4hisglory
When first learning to play, should one learn the open chords or just learn the barre chords??

COUNTRY FOLK SOMETIMES ONLY USE OPEN CHORDS.....OTHER STYLES NEED MORE!

I WOULD GO FOR BAR CHORDS AND OTHER SHAPES IF YOU ARE NOT DOING THE SIMPLE STUFF!

Kelsey

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 07:06:55 PM »
I would advise a person to learn the basic open chords first to gain an understanding of chord shapes.  These same shapes will be needed with barre chords.  Find some easy worship songs and play them. Learning basic open chords first will build strength in the fingers, which would be needed for barre chords.  

Then, when a beginner is ready, they should learn the basic barre chords.  

After learning those basic open and barre chords, I would advise a beginner to study different chords composed in their favorite gospel songs to learn newer chords to build their chord vocabulary.

Kelsey

Offline pnguin1979

• LGM Member

barres
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2005, 07:17:42 PM »
Barre Chords are definitely a must learn ASAP.  They definitely require more strength to form but open up the entire fretboard.  Once you learn how the Barres work around the neck you can transpose in a snap or easily figure out any song.  Plus once you can barre you can easily modify the chord shape to form numerous chords.

As a beginner I would learn a few open chords to keep interest and gain strength but barres are definitely where it's at.  (Of course this is just personal opinion so take it for what it's worth)

Playing in church Barres are a plus especially when you need to transpose or change keys quickly.  A must for any aspiring guitarist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jlynnb1

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2005, 08:49:05 PM »
both

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2005, 11:08:58 PM »
Open first because you are going to have to build strenght in fingers to do barre chords.Your index FINGER need to be READY.

Offline trackman

• LGM Member
  • Look who's 40...

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2005, 09:14:14 AM »
KIND OF ON THIS SUBJECT. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A GOOD FAKE BOOK OR SOMETHING WITH HYMNALS OR GOSPEL MUSIC FOR A BEGINNING GUITARIST?
A wise man speaks because he has something to say; a fool speaks because he has to say something...

Offline Rown

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2005, 11:59:10 AM »
Yes sir,it should be plenty out ther.The name of my song books is Gospel Songs (Easy Guitar) it has over 100 songs,it cost 14.95.Go to your local music store,Barnes Noble,or check out www.halleonard.com This is how i got started and it did help.GOOD LUCK  8)

Offline antani

• LGM Member

depends on the music your play
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2005, 10:59:58 PM »
for gospel music barre chords if its christian music or etc  i hate saying that because we tend to relate christian music to white people and gospel to blacks that almost like racism in the church, but you can use open chords for the simple songs also depend on if the guitars electric or acoustic one might sound better than the other holla

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 09:33:00 AM »
how to you play barre chords without your thumb area hurting? for me... that whole muscle be hurting...

am i squeezing to hard.... therefore create muscle fatigue?

Offline uriahsmusic

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://WWW.URIAHSMUSIC.COM

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »
Quote from: Dredakyst
how to you play barre chords without your thumb area hurting? for me... that whole muscle be hurting...

am i squeezing to hard.... therefore create muscle fatigue?

Your hands will get used to it over time......keep practicing....

Offline pnguin1979

• LGM Member

barre chords
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
barres are probably the toughest type of chords to initially learn just because they require so much more strength in the hand.  Personally I would say the more you play them the easier it will be.  Changing to a lighter gauge of string might be a quick and easy solution, particularly if you play an electric.  Acoustic barres are harder to play for that very reason.  You can get away with a light gauge on electric not so much on an acoustic (the heavier strings give you more volume and tone).

Offline Dredakyst

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 01:24:15 PM »
cool ya'll.... thx! :)

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

Open or Barre Chords
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 02:20:25 PM »
I posted this book months ago. If you get this book you will not be disappointed. I got it from the public library years ago. If you can go though this book you should be well equiped to play gospel guitar. They may have it at your public library.

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=95384SET&Title=&mediatype=&Author=&Series=Complete&Difoverall=&Publisher=&Category=&SongTitle=&TypeOfSearch=criteria&mode=advsearch
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up