LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Playing By Ear  (Read 2551 times)

Offline gldmusic

• LGM Member

Help with Playing By Ear
« on: June 23, 2003, 07:13:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me of ways to learn gospel music be ear. Are their any training lessons I could do to help my ear. I can read music and I know  the major scales and how chords are formed but when it comes to playing by ear that a different story. I can also pick out the melody line  but I don't know how to put chords with them. Can anyone help me out there. Thanks and God Bless

Offline jenniferchanya

• LGM Member
    • http://

Help with Playing By Ear
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 11:08:03 AM »
Hi gldmusic,

A good place for you to start would be at www.hearandplay.com.  There are some good resources on that site for learning to play by ear.  I hope this helps!  Take care and God bless!

Jennifer

Offline c_will

• LGM Member
    • http://

Re: Help with Playing By Ear
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2003, 06:57:33 PM »
Quote from: gldmusic
Can anyone tell me of ways to learn gospel music be ear. Are their any training lessons I could do to help my ear. I can read music and I know  the major scales and how chords are formed but when it comes to playing by ear that a different story. I can also pick out the melody line  but I don't know how to put chords with them. Can anyone help me out there. Thanks and God Bless

If you are able to pick out the melody you are half way there. I'm not where I would like to be in music but I can tell you this. If you can  identify the scale of the melody that you are playing, you can then assign the melody notes chord values based on the number of the note in the scale. For example if you are in C then the [1]C, [4]F, and [5]G, are your major triads, [2]D, [3]E, and [6]A and your minor triads and the [7]B is the diminished triad. CDEFGAB is the C scale, 1234567 are the numbers assign to the notes. Now the bass to start out is the number of the note. So if the note that you are in is C and the melody, as you pick it out runs into the note C , your chord would be Cmajor with a C bass. I hope that didn't confuse you. God bless and get the book at HearandPlay.com
God + 1 = The Majority
Pages: [1]   Go Up