LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Voice Crack While Singing?  (Read 9062 times)

JoyCH

Voice Crack While Singing?
« on: October 27, 2005, 09:52:05 PM »
I know no one on LGM has ever had this problem before   :D   but have you ever heard of anyone who was singing and their voice "cracked?"  :lol:

Please share.

Joy

uniquepraise

Voice cracking
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 10:35:11 PM »
8O Yes I have heard it and experienced it.  :oops:  Not good especially when you're going strong and feeling the spirit and go to hit that note and  8O oops that didnt sound too good!!!

I would be interested in finding out how to prevent it if possible....It doesnt happen to me as much as it used to because I sing more... :D

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »
I think alot of that comes from singers not going thru a proper warm up exercise. I have notice that if I just start singing my voice will get to the crack mode if I reach for high notes but if I start out doing a scale exercise it won't when I reach for high notes. I think the choirs members should really get up a few hours early on Sunday mornings and go over a few exercises before singing. I when I used to sing on the choir long ago I would start out pushing hard on Sunday mornings and by the last song my voice was just about gone. I'm about to get back into singing though. I'm still looking around for a good mic. Then I'm going to do the play and sing thing.  :D
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Offline ReddGirl

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Keep on smiling!

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 09:02:15 AM »
I think it is normal because Daryl Coley one of the most trained and best singers cracks. Karen Clark cracks. I think the key is to not let it through you off!

JoyCH

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 09:23:29 AM »
I agree with all of you but re-cooperating after you crack is hard.  :wink:  Mysteryman my aunt gave me similiar advice. She said you need to breathe, stay in control and practice (alot). And when you need a break to catch your breathe talk to the congregation.

Has anyone else done anything that helps them with singing?

Joy

Offline hammy1906

• LGM Member

Oh Yes
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 10:13:28 AM »
It just happened to me on Sunday :oops: .  But I always say a prayer before I sing that the people I am minestering to will only hear the words and be in worship and total praise.  When it happened to me this past Sunday the Holy Spirit was so high that I do not believe anyone even realized  it happened :lol: .
God Bless

JoyCH

Re: Oh Yes
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 10:38:37 AM »
Quote from: hammy1906
It just happened to me on Sunday :oops: .  But I always say a prayer before I sing that the people I am minestering to will only hear the words and be in worship and total praise.  When it happened to me this past Sunday the Holy Spirit was so high that I do not believe anyone even realized  it happened :lol: .
God Bless

You know what I love most about LGM God will remind you to stay encouraged no matter what. This isnt' just for me its for everybody out there who comes to a bump in the road where you feel tired, lost motivation and ready to throw in the towel on your God give gift.

Just like what Hammy1906 said, let the annointing flow and let God have His way.

Joy

Offline RICHBET

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • http://

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 11:25:33 AM »
I think the choirs members should really get up a few hours early on Sunday mornings and go over a few exercises before singing.

Do any of you drink warm water, tea, lemon juice, etc. as a prevention?

Nakia518

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 11:35:28 AM »
Quote from: RICHBET
I think the choirs members should really get up a few hours early on Sunday mornings and go over a few exercises before singing.

Do any of you drink warm water, tea, lemon juice, etc. as a prevention?

Well for myself a dry thoat and/or mucus build up causes cracking... Vocal exercises coupled along with the above are excellent ways to get rid of the cracking... Also eating before you sing is not good... Try to eat at least 4 hours before you sing... A lot of people say 1 or 2 hours but you sing better on an empty stomach... We fast every Sunday morning... Nothing but tea or water until after service...

What I made a habit of every Sunday is I break out my gospel CD's I will play one song over and over... One with a lot of range and power needed and I sing as I am getting ready... Being that I am the only alto on my praise and worship team I have to be ready at all times...

one exercise that I find worked is a scale of the vowels... A, E, I, O, U,
Start out at a natural tone and scale up 9 times, then change keys after each set of 9... It works wonders...:D

Nakia518

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 08:57:13 PM »
Quote from: Nakia518

one exercise that I find worked is a scale of the vowels... A, E, I, O, U,
Start out at a natural tone and scale up 9 times, then change keys after each set of 9... It works wonders...:D
[/size]

Sorry I should have explained this a lil more...

On you keyboard (if you have one) play these scales and sing the vowels

C, D, E, F, G, F, E, D, C
C#, D#, F, F#, G#, Gb, F, Eb, Db
D, E, F#, G, A, G, Gb, E, D
D#, F, G, G#, A#, Ab, G, F, Eb
E, F#, G#, A, B, A, Ab, Gb, E
F, G, A, A#, C, Bb, A, G, F
G, A, B, C, D, C, B, A, G
G#, A#, C, C#, D#, Db, C, Bb, Ab
A, B, C#, D, E, D, Db, B, A
B, C#, D#, E, F, E, Eb, Db, B
[/size]

Luvphillyman

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2005, 04:52:34 AM »
I've learned that gargling (gently) with a little warm salt water doesn't hurt, either.  Also, to soothe your throat before singing (or after much singing) a cup of hot tea with honey is great.   :D

Luvphillyman

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2005, 04:55:41 AM »
RichBet, from my experiences, I've learned that LEMON JUICE or any other acidic drinks or drinks high in fructose (sugar) are not good for the pre-belting vocal chords.  Just tea and honey, or warm salt water will suffice.   8)

JoyCH

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2005, 08:23:11 AM »
Quote from: Luvphillyman
RichBet, from my experiences, I've learned that LEMON JUICE or any other acidic drinks or drinks high in fructose (sugar) are not good for the pre-belting vocal chords.  Just tea and honey, or warm salt water will suffice.   8)

Nakia and Luv - this is good advice.  :D

Joy

Offline rwynn

• LGM Member
  • Praise The Lord!!!

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2005, 08:43:18 AM »
it is also good to stay hydrated, keep a bottle of room temperature water with you at all times.
God knows the plans He has for me......Jer 29:11

JoyCH

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2005, 07:00:55 PM »
That's good advice too.  Esp. if your throat tends to go dry.

Joy

Offline Mysteryman

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • The Jamaican breakfast patty created by me. :)
    • http://www.geocities.com/mysterymman1

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 03:34:57 PM »
Our old MOM use to bring water to rehearsal I'm surprised that people dont do this anymore.
Vision without action is just day dreaming. I miss practicing.

Luvphillyman

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 08:16:47 PM »
I still bring a water bottle with me.

Offline moosiejac

• LGM Member

Cracked Voices
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 11:49:01 PM »
My voice will crack if I am tired or I have sung to much. I also pray before a song and I try not to drink cold water. You should also avoid dairy because it creates flem.

I always sing.

princeoftheb3

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2005, 12:17:09 AM »
Had this problem, had a singing engagment and a cold at the same time, and the time i was going through my voice changing

Offline bigtforreal

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Re: Voice Crack While Singing?
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2005, 01:42:45 AM »
Quote from: JoyCH
I know no one on LGM has ever had this problem before   :D   but have you ever heard of anyone who was singing and their voice "cracked?"  :lol:

Please share.

Joy

EMBARASSNG!!!  I was the only tenor singing praise n worship on an early Sunday morning (9am).  How about I didn't warm up or anything because I was running late.

I got up there with my fellow sopranos and altos...how bout my voice cracked in one of the highest points of the song.  My butt was all in the mic too, so my praise n worship leader looked at me, and just started laughing when i was singing, and she just made all of us sing in unison.

It felt like the whole congregation looked at me.

EMBARASSING!
Of course, God gets the glory
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up