LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you celebrate halloween?  (Read 2119 times)

poptart

Do you celebrate halloween?
« on: November 01, 2005, 08:59:03 PM »
do you celebrate halloween?

Offline 4hisglory

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • Learn Gospel Musiic

Umm...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 09:11:01 PM »
no.
:)

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 09:18:09 PM »
Nope. Not even an alternative celebration.

Offline sixstringpoet

• LGM Member
  • keep sound wisdom and discretion: Proverbs 3:21
    • 6stringpoet

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2005, 09:25:52 PM »
never.

Offline LadyWiz

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Praise is what I do

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 09:32:38 PM »
No ~ someone at work had the nerve yesterday to wish me Happy Halloween!  :evil:

poptart

ha
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 09:47:22 PM »
you a trip! have a nice day :D
praise the lord.

Offline biblethumpa

• LGM Member
  • At my boring job tryn to make the best of it...

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 11:17:26 PM »
I took the day off from work because they were suppose to have a big "Halloween" party, I didnt even want to be there.

Offline LifeInReturn

• LGM Member
    • http://www.lifeinreturn.com

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 01:53:12 AM »
No, I don't. And when I have children, they won't either.

Offline MikeGee

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My wife is over my right shoulder.
    • my out of church band

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 05:50:33 AM »
Quote from: LifeInReturn
No, I don't. And when I have children, they won't either.

agreed, I don't, and when GOD has blessed me with a Wife and children, my family will at most understand what it is, no celebration here.

Offline sjonathan02

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • My heart

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 06:24:49 AM »
I don't anymore. I didn't think it was a big deal before, especially when folks started doing an alternative. But now, I don't.

Speaking of children not celebrating, one of my students wore a shirt that said, "I don't DO Halloween." I had to laugh to myself.

Be Blessed
Jonathan
Despite our communication technology, no invention is as effective as the sound of the human voice.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member
  • New Look, Still Divalicious!
    • Earnest and Roline Ministries

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 07:12:09 AM »
No & neither have my children.

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 07:38:28 AM »
Quote from: SisterT
No & neither have my children.

I should have responded like this ... duh ... my children don't celebrate it either

My oldest daughter takes that day off for the same reason biblethumpa does

Over the 16 yrs i've been with this company, someone always comments that I'm depriving my children of their childhood.   NOT!!!  This year the question to me was, "didn't you celebrate halloween when you were a child?"  When I was a child, I acted according to how I was raised.  Now that i'm an adult and more importantly born again, I have understanding and don't do those former things of old.  I don't celebrate the dead; let the dead bury their dead.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 08:01:44 AM »
Quote from: ladybass
Quote from: SisterT
someone always comments that I'm depriving my children of their childhood. .

When you teach your children the truth, the only thing they are deprived of is a lie.

We never taught my kids to believe in Santa Claus nor the Easter Bunny. We taught them the true meaning of the holidays.

As a matter of fact, for Christmas, they do not open their gifts until after church AND until after we pray and verbally share what the holiday is about to our kids and then our kids share what it means to them.

They have never been anxious to open their gifts. One year my daughter showed me that she REALLY understood the true meaning of Christmas.

Nakia518

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 09:32:58 AM »
**THIS IS NAKIA’S OPINION ON THE HOLIDAY AND IS NOT A DIRECT ATTACK ON ANYONE ELSES OPINION**

I don't celebrate the holiday... However, I don't change what I do to get around it either... I still went to work even though they were having a Halloween party... I did my work... Got some food from the party and went back to my desk until my work was done and then I left... I had already told them that I didn't celebrate the holiday...

As far as an alternative... We had a party at my church... It is sort of a way to get the kids and parents that have been celebrating the Holiday weaned off… The kids watched a movie about angels… My pastor asked them questions about the movie… They all played bible games… We prayed ate and then went home…

I found out about 5 years ago the true meaning of “All Hollows Eve”… And I have yet to celebrate it since… However, my family has always done an alternative to it…

I don’t take anything to the extreme… Someone wished me a Happy Halloween and I kindly said I’m sorry but I don’t celebrate the holiday and I left it at that… Now if they would have asked me why then I would have broken it down to them… Your children will hear about Halloween and these “Commercialized” Holidays in school and everywhere they go… Our job as Saved Parents is to explain to them why we don’t celebrate the holiday… My son asked me why I didn’t buy him a costume… I reminded him of the conversation we had about Halloween and costumes and he just said oh and continued to enjoy the party…

**THIS IS NAKIA’S OPINION ON THE HOLIDAY AND IS NOT A DIRECT ATTACK ON ANYONE ELSES OPINION**

Offline playhear

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • "Shock and awe" was just for Iraq...or was it?

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2005, 09:37:31 AM »
Yes! Dressing up on the eve of All Saints Day is a lot of fun!

Offline ladybass

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
    • My Bass Grooves

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2005, 10:12:02 AM »
Quote from: Nakia518
I don’t take anything to the extreme… Someone wished me a Happy Halloween and I kindly said I’m sorry but I don’t celebrate the holiday and I left it at that… Now if they would have asked me why then I would have broken it down to them… Your children will hear about Halloween and these “Commercialized” Holidays in school and everywhere they go… Our job as Saved Parents is to explain to them why we don’t celebrate the holiday… My son asked me why I didn’t buy him a costume… I reminded him of the conversation we had about Halloween and costumes and he just said oh and continued to enjoy the party…

that's what I do ... I had to do the same thing you do with your son, but now that my girls are older, it's not needed.

Offline SisterT

• Senior Moderator
  • LGM Member

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »
Quote from: Nakia518

I don't celebrate the holiday... However, I don't change what I do to get around it either...
As far as an alternative... We had a party at my church...*[/b]
[/size]

I must agree, with your all-caps OPINION.  :wink:

My kids  went to school & there were no H-ween parties.  When kids asked them why they don't celebrate the holiday, they knew how to respond because we taught them the true meaning of the holiday.

Me personally, I don't want to send my kids mixed signals....anything affliated with the idea of Halloween they cannot participate, so that would include a party at school that specifically highlights "Halloween". In the past, I have checked them out of school prior to the Halloweeen party since they were usually held at the end of the day.

My church does an allternative activity, "Fall Fest". We have outdoor gospel concerts, puppet shows, horse drawn carriage rides, carnival games, food & so much more. It is also a good time to evangelize to the many "Trick-or-Treaters" who are passing by. They see what we are doing and want to be a part of it.

I do not think that Halloween should be a day when Christians stay home, indoors and allow Satan to have his day. We need to reclaim the day, take back what the devil has stolen. I think it is a good thing to have a Fun day for the Family that ultimately glorifies God. IF the night is meant for evil, why can't we, with the power of God, turn it around and make it a night for good? Haven't we been empowered??!!

Just my 2 cents and a bag of chips with a pickle in it.

Offline BBoy

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member
  • Let's Praise Jesus Together!

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2005, 11:12:47 AM »
Wow, that sounds like a lot of fun, and I bet after such a Fall Fest children look at the common Trick or Treating like a sorry substitute for a real party.

It also outlines to me one of the reasons that the Church needs to be blessed. It would take gifted, organized and financially blessed people to do something like this for their children and the community.

That's one of the reasons the devil wants the church to stay poor, so the church can't do stuff like that for their children.

Pray for me as I continue to teach and preach the gospel includes freedom from debt and lack . .

And by the way, no I don't celebrate Halloween either.
Joshua 1: 7, 8

Offline Jmanley1116

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005, 11:15:04 AM »
We don't celebrate this day and I am really impressing upon my kids the reason why we don't.  This year we did pass out candy and tracks to those who came to our door and my wife and kids went out and they actually Evanglized and people were receptive.  My Pastor and the youth ministry at my church did a good job prepping the kids for Halloween.  They told them the origins of All Hallows Eve, All Saints Day and All Souls Day.  Yes, it is the darkest day of the year, but we as believers in Jesus who is the light of the world should take the opportunity to evangelize.

Nakia518

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005, 11:21:34 AM »
Quote from: BBoy

And by the way, no I don't celebrate Halloween either.

OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH!!! There is so much I can say about that but I will leave it alone.... hee hee hee :D
Diamond in the back..... Bright suits... Oh just too much.... I am crackin myself up...... ROTFLMBO!!!!!
Nothing but love for ya Bboy... Nothing but love :D:D:D:D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up