LearnGospelMusic.com Community

Please login or register.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Earrings......  (Read 9037 times)

Offline Steely

• LGM Member

Earrings......
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 03:01:14 PM »
The church has become so caught up in the "appearance" of holiness...then in what is actually holy. It all about what looks right or at least what appears to be right. I personally do not wear earrings, but at the same time, can I say I am anymore or less sanctified then some who does wear earrings. Personal/"Our church doctrine" has overtaken the message of salvation/grace. The more we grow as believers "in" God, He will guide us into all that is true. My appoach to God is certainly not the only way. And that what makes us all so unqiuely different and what makes us all the same.

We are all in search of what is true for our lives, but we all have different approaches to him. I think the question asked by XYZ-Angel, however thuggish it might have seemed to some, "ideally" should be the way we all live our lives. We are all in search for a deeper understanding, whether it's in music or in... should we were earrings. To be quite honest, most of the conviction we hold are not even our own, they were passed down from generations before us. When we are questioned on them, our response is  generally "Oh my mother's told me not to, because her mother told her not to, because her mother told her not to....etc

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 03:06:34 PM »
Quote from: LifeInReturn
Divinstruoso - My significant other has an earring and so do alot of the guys he works with, and I can say personally, they are all dedicated and TRUE men of God. And as far as you saying that they get them because they look good and therefore it is vanity... don't we wear clothes that only look good on us ?

Shoes ? Makeup ? Jewelry ? Everything I wear is because it looks nice on me. There is nothing wrong with thinking that something looks good on you.

And saying an earring is an indication of one's walk with God ? Come on now. Seriously, I have to highly disagree w/you on that one. God looks at the heart.

And Kadman, if you had a problem with the brother / sister's typing, you should have taken that to a private message... Was that done in love ?

Keydrummer - I agree with you totally.

You totally missed what I was saying. I don't care if it's make-up, shoes, or ear-rings...

The Bible say's to dress in modest appearel for a reason. Pride makes people want to 'look good'. Most people won't step out of the house, unless they think they look good enough to meet people's approval. It's not just about ear-rings ... and I DO think all of it is an indication of where you are in your walk with God. The flesh wants to have it's way. That's why we're supposed to crucify It daily. I feel that jewelry, make-up .. and all of those things, are but outward signs of pride and vanity.

Ask yourself, WHY DO I WANT OR NEED TO WEAR THIS? It's not as simple as, I just like it. You like how it makes you look. That's vanity. That's pride. All of those adornments have no place in the kingdom. Leave that stuff to the world. The world is expected to be vain, and to be filled up with pride. Why do the saints of God want to look no differently than they do. Jesus told the deciples, take no thought in what you wear. It's no relevant to anything in your life as a Christian. The Bible also said be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind. Do you think, if a person was not concerned with conforming this world, that they'd be concerned with jewelry, make up,and earrings. Think about the money you spend on that stuff. What meaning does it have? Your need to 'look good' ... is your way of exalting yourself. It's not about us, it's about Jesus. Remember, we were born into sin ... and most of desires, naturally aren't God's desires. That's why, in all our ways, we should acknowledge him ... 'cause our way, isn't God's way. Our desires are rarely God's desires.

Modesty and humility. People laugh at 'Holy Rollers' with long skirts, and no make up and earrings. While that doesn't make you holy...that's what a Holy person does. A Holy person isn't concerned with these trivial things...and trying to impress others with what they have, or what they CAN look LIKE. They're concerned with PLEASING GOD. We get it soooo twisted.... we'll let God have HIS WAY, as long as it doesn't conflict with what we want to do. If it does, we'll find some scripture to justify it. God looks at the heart, yes ... but, God also realizes that what's inside of a man's heart will manifest in other ways. In the way he speak, lives, dresses, etc, etc, etc, etc...

We need to be set our minds on things above, and stop conforming to the world's standards. The world is supposed to conform to us......

Offline Spider79

• LGM Member
    • http://www.spider79.faithweb.com

EARRINGS
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 03:15:57 PM »
Such a touchy subject. Now I can say maybe it depends on the era you grew up in? Or maybe how mature you are in the WORD? Or maybe what your Pastor/Bishop/Church etiquette is at your church? There are a lot of reasons. Now I am a saved HOLY GHOST filled Christian. I was born baptist and attend a COGIC home now. But I am of no denomination. I am open to the WORD of GOD live by HIS WORD. Now I wear earrings in both ears as a matter of fact but doesn't mean my spirituallity is weaker. The difference is that is my "OPINION". Now I am respectable I don't wear them to my home church or any church setting out of respect for the house. But if a church allowed me to wear an earring I would. But this does not make me less of an effective Christian. I still proclaim GOD's word, I still honor HIM in speech, walk of life, prayer, fasting, and humility. This also probes a question why is there a big "BURDEN" for Christians to dress up when coming into an edifice/building we call "A PLACE of WORSHIP". Some of the most effective ministry operated ministries I have played at  or visited were so laid back folks came in sandals, shorts, tshirts (summer time) and jeans, collared shirts and boots (winter time), earrings and yet these were small and big audiences sizes. TITHESE and OFFERINGS were abundant. There were k-12 schools on facility site with a credit union, bank, library just a business oriented site but yet they were churches. I just think it all boils down to OPINION and I respect what evreyone has said on the site. Feedback like this is necessary. But hey I don't trip if someone sees me in some Jordans and my earrings on because they are judgin the outside and can't judge my heart, mind, and soul that will forever belong to CHRIST.

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 03:17:46 PM »
Quote from: Steely
The church has become so caught up in the "appearance" of holiness...then in what is actually holy. It all about what looks right or at least what appears to be right. I personally do not wear earrings, but at the same time, can I say I am anymore or less sanctified then some who does wear earrings. Personal/"Our church doctrine" has overtaken the message of salvation/grace. The more we grow as believers "in" God, He will guide us into all that is true. My appoach to God is certainly not the only way. And that what makes us all so unqiuely different and what makes us all the same.

We are all in search of what is true for our lives, but we all have different approaches to him. I think the question asked by XYZ-Angel, however thuggish it might have seemed to some, "ideally" should be the way we all live our lives. We are all in search for a deeper understanding, whether it's in music or in... should we were earrings. To be quite honest, most of the conviction we hold are not even our own, they were passed down from generations before us. When we are questioned on them, our response is  generally "Oh my mother's told me not to, because her mother told her not to, because her mother told her not to....etc

See, you're not supposed to get CAUGHT UP in the appearance of Holiness. Being Holy and looking Holy obviously aren't the same thing. However, what's in you, will come out of you. Pride and vanity can be subtle. it can slip in, and we just assume it's all no big deal. That's how the Devil works. He starts you out with a little something, then it gradually increases to the point that you're so concerned with how you look, that it takes you forever to get ready for Church and work in the mornings. Some of this stuff sounds far-fetched to some people....'cause the church has allowed any and everything to go on.

Not having jewelry, fancy cars, expensive clothes doesn't make you any less of a person. It is about God, the time you spend with him, your witness,and the life you live. That's what it's about. I can't say it enough... IT IS ABOUT JESUS, NOT ABOUT US! We all know how to talk to talk ... but walking it is something completely differently. We've allowed the world into the church, and now we don't want to let it go. Why? 'Cause our sinful natures LOVE the things of the world. You have women who wear the shortest skirts to church. See, back in the day, you couldn't get away with that. Now, you can. That short skirt say's alot about you. Why in the world would you want to wear a skirt that short to begin with?

It's the same with make up. Could you go to church next Sunday without ANY MAKEUP or lipstick on. It would be hard for many to do. Why? 'Cause4 that stuff has become a God to them. They can't live without it. They can't show their faces, unless they feel they look right for everyone else. God is our judge. Yes, GOD IS OUR JUDGE.

I've said enough on this topic. I think it's pretty obvious, at this point, how I feel...

Offline Steely

• LGM Member

Earrings......
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 04:11:04 PM »
Just to make sure those who have read my earlier post are not confused. I'm not saying it's all about "appearing" holy.. IT IS always and only about being actually holy.

Even if we are dressed to the T, driving a benz that's sitting on a pair of 22 church shoes, with 2 Manison on the biggest hill in USA... at the beginning, middle, and end of the day... it MUST be all about JESUS!

We can all possess materialistic things, but do not let those materialic things possess you.

Divinstruoso, I can honestly read all the passion you have poured into your posts, which I can only respect!!

Offline NoelII

• LGM Member
    • http://www.kevinsharpe.net

Earrings......
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 04:47:30 PM »
Can anyone comment on what Job 42:10-11 says?
Psalm 33:3 "Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise."

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 05:10:12 PM »
Quote from: NoelII
Can anyone comment on what Job 42:10-11 says?

Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these thing will be added unto you. That's how I feel...

I believe that God will bless us with wealth, when he knows we're at the point in our walk, that we won't make a God out of it. 'Cause God is a jealous One, and won't have anything be put before him. Obviously Job was capable of handling these things, and still being a man of profound Holiness.

Offline TightHands

• LGM Member
  • YOU WISH THIS SET WAS YOURS......DONT U??
    • http://www.myspace.com/choppinforchrist

Earrings......
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 06:05:59 PM »
I might be young, but after seeing all the other post, I think I need to say this. The Bible says that your body is a temple--- right or wrong? So tell me, would any of you go and put holes (earrings) in your churches or paint grafitti (tatoo) on them? I wouldn't because I would have to deal with God when I get to heaven. Those two things would cause me to lose two stars on my crown! I don't know about yall but, on my crown, I want so many stars that I can barley hold my head up and walk at the same time!

Offline BEATBOXERZ

• LGM Royalty
  • LGM Member

Earrings......
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 06:14:26 PM »
Job 42:11 Then came there unto him all his breathens, and all his sisters, and all they that had been his aquaintance before, and did eat bread with him in his house: and they bemoaned him, and comforted him over all the evil that the LORD had brought upon him: every man also gave him a piece of money, and every one had a earring of gold.

I stopped wearing my earrings when I turned 30, not for any particular reason on my part. I just out grew that phase of my life. With that said,
may God Bless evevyone who choses to wear a earring. you are not going to hell for wearing a earring. But It looks real corny to see people young and old wearing fake 10kt earring big as Kevin Garrnett's .But I don't care. I make employees take them off when they clock in. what that do off the clock is their free will.

Offline drummercat777

• LGM Member
    • www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Earrings......
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 09:13:46 PM »
it is true that both sides make valid points both for and against piercings. i think this is one topic that should just be LOCKED so that we can just squash it and move on....... :D
Psalm 150:5
why I do what i do.....

www.myspace.com/bdrums777

Offline NoelII

• LGM Member
    • http://www.kevinsharpe.net

Earrings......
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 09:34:30 PM »
Divinstruoso,  Would you mind commenting on the last sentence in verse 11?
Psalm 33:3 "Sing unto Him a new song, play skillfully with a loud noise."

Offline lxp4898

• LGM Member
  • my set
    • http://www.drummersgonecrazy

Earrings......
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 10:19:00 PM »
I believe there was some interesting comments made yo spider great post i'm the youth minister and senoir drummer at my church home 33yrs of age married with four healthly & handsome boys my ears still have the marks and my arm still has the gang sign on my right shoulder but this will not determine my entrance into heaven. but we as children of God brothers and sister in Christ must be careful of what we say and do because everyday someone that's not a believer who want to come to the body of Christ watches what the believers do. I'm from chitown and gangs members still kill people over colors of clothes, hat's bent to the left or the right ,and earring in a certain earlobe so let's be mindful of others me personally trying to stay from thing that i did while running the streets but someone  may have a reason for the wearing them but let's not put anyone to shame over something with such a value their are so many things that hinder the body to come together as one. my struggles with my past makes hunger for more of God's anointing greater is he that is in me than he that's in the world we must all continue to strive for a greater anointing ...... hey these topic are great to discuss to hear everyone opinion on issuse with this generations of believers this could be a town hall meeting i praise him in the midst of this subject .

Offline beantownborn

• LGM Member

Earrings......
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 10:44:41 PM »
Nice topic!  This might challenge the "Dancing in the Church" thread.

I know it was meant for Divinstruoso but I wanted to comment on the last sentence of Job 42:11.  Which version is this quoted from?  I looked up this verse in 8 different versions.  In 2 of them, it stated that an earring of gold was given to Jacob.  But the other 6 said a ring of gold was given.  Not saying that you're wrong, but you may want to go back to the original language to get the proper translation.

Also, have anyone done research on the purpose of earrings?  It was to ward off evil spirits, like an amulet.  Check out what I found:

"At the time of Christ there was a view held among the sects that the use of make-up and jewellery was of demonic origin.

The wearing of earrings is, along with the animistic origins of the Saiva and other Indo-Aryan religions, of great antiquity. There seems little doubt that the wearing of earrings by men, as well as women, was originally, amongst the Indo-Europeans, of an adherence to animistic or idolatrous practice involving elements of Chaldean theology, which spread both east and west. It was forbidden by a simple analysis of Genesis 35:4. Despite its eradication by Jacob, the wearing of earrings appears to have crept back into use during the Egyptian captivity. The cessation of the practice with Moses appears to have lasted for an indeterminate period with amulets in general going underground or, more correctly, under garment. Most of the Anglo-Saxon people no longer understand the origin of the practice.
The wearing of jewellery generally appears to have stemmed from the same practice as that of earrings – namely, as amulets against the spirits, and the serpent amulet was the most prominent form. This was associated with the crescent moon or the whole rounded form as a circle."

I just basically googled it.  Personally, I don't wear earrings or have tattoos. I'm all set with what God naturally gave me.  :D

Once you have been saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Spirit, you're expected by man and God to walk a certain walk. You're held to a higher standard.  If this offends, pray about it.  It may be conviction and it's time to deal with the real matter of things.  Will it hold you back from heaven?  Probably not.  But will it hold you back from walk in ALL God has for you?  Only face time with God can answer that.  

Stay blessed, my people.  Oh, and by the way, I agree with kadman.  When I first got on here, I was having some trouble interpreting some of the misspellings and slang.  Thought I was the only one with a spell-checker. :D  :D  But I hear him. Once you know better, why step backwards. Later.

I didn't even spell-check this and I probably have some misspellings.  Live, learn and move forward. In all things, God gets the praise.

Offline lxp4898

• LGM Member
  • my set
    • http://www.drummersgonecrazy

Earrings......
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 10:57:52 PM »
This is great beantownborn came with that early world history theology that's why it's important to research and pray that god gives us direction on these topics peace and stay blessed one of the greatest ministry a person can have is encouragement..............

Offline moosiejac

• LGM Member

earrings
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 11:36:46 PM »
Most people have forgotten that appearance does have something to do with you and your walk. Most of our young people are taking on the image of the world.

The Lord had his priest set aside. They also wore a special garment.

Scripture tells us how to dress and carry ourselves. If you look at the history of Earrings in most of the scripture they were either taking off their earrings because of some sin or they were said to be wearing it for enticement of men.

You all are so quick to hold on to things. Men should not adorn themselves with a womans attire and in todays time earrings are a feminite. The only men that use to wear the earring was the gay man to let you know he was gay.

Also it was used in Idol worship in Afica and other countries.

Peace

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2005, 06:03:30 AM »
See, personally ... it doesn't matter what earrings were used for in the past. An earring in and of itself is just an earring. It's the meaning, and significance WE place on it.

Once again, my whole point is, what's on the inside will show on the outside. Pride and vanity, in my opinion, 'causes people to buy unneccessary things to adorn themselves. We're still thinking like the world. These things are expected of the world, however. I truly feel that ... no only should you be able to tell a Christian buy the way he acts, but you should be able to tell a Christian by the way he looks. Let's stop pretending that the appearance doens't matter - 'cause you can't seperate the appearance from mentality of a person. Everything we put on, we put on for a REASON.

The Bible teaches us to be meek, & modest. As insignifanct as it may seem, earrings speak volumes about a person's place in God. Once you're no longer concerned with the impressing other people, and making yourself look 'important' and 'beautiful' for the world, then none of that stuff will matter to you at all. Yes, as innocent as it all may seem. Let's not allow pride or vanity any opportunity to slip in. It'll slip in through the smallest cracks.

I mean, let's just be honest ... when we're home ... do we wear all of those things that we wear out in public? Do you see a woman's face all made up when she's finally in for the night. Is she still wearing 'cute' shoes that hurt her feet when she comes home?? No. Those things are for the world to approve of us. The same with men, and the things we adorn ourselves with.

It's nothing more than our sinful nature trying to fight it's way to the surface. Not our will, but his will be done. All of this stuff sounds so extreme ... but it's all in the Bible. So many churches just aren't being taught TRUE HOLINESS anymore.

Be mindful, Saints.

Offline sugabear

• LGM Member
  • Wolfgang, if you don't know...find out! Seriously!

Earrings......
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2005, 07:26:26 AM »
Not trying to add fuel to the fire of this heated debate, but what, exactly, does a holy person suppose to look like on the outside? I keep hearing the phrase "modest apparel". What exactly is deemed modest apparel and by who's standards? I personally feel that homeless people don't adorn themselves for the public. Are we to dress like them? I struggle with what clothes should be worn to appear modest and holy. If I go and buy some Air Force One's would that be modest apparel or vain apparel? What about a pair of jeans? I need a little help here. :oops:
My goal as a musician is to be better than myself.
check out my site www.tampogo.com/alsmith!!!

Offline freddyfusion

• LGM Member

Earrings......
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2005, 07:39:21 AM »
hey
i have tatts and earings
 :lol: cool huh

no but really i don't believe that there is anything wrong with them. i also think we DO place to much emphasis on what people looke like esp. in church.  there is nothing in the word, for instance, that says NO HATS IN CHURCH, but try to walk up in some churches with a hat on, they'll look at you like you're a demon.  or why must we feel like we have to wear a suit to church or get that look i was talking about.
anyway, even the script. about tattoos talks about not cutting the hair on the sides of your head, or you beard. someone tap your neigbor and say "i shave!" now slap your other neigbor in the cheek and say "mach 3!".  
it was cultural and for that time- and it was in the old testamtent

and divinstruoso- how do you dress/ present yourself.  :?:
LIVE FROM HEAVEN- Eph. 2:6
play where you wanna be

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2005, 07:43:53 AM »
Like Tonex....

Mud

Earrings......
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2005, 07:54:30 AM »
Quote from: sugabear
Not trying to add fuel to the fire of this heated debate, but what, exactly, does a holy person suppose to look like on the outside? I keep hearing the phrase "modest apparel". What exactly is deemed modest apparel and by who's standards? I personally feel that homeless people don't adorn themselves for the public. Are we to dress like them? I struggle with what clothes should be worn to appear modest and holy. If I go and buy some Air Force One's would that be modest apparel or vain apparel? What about a pair of jeans? I need a little help here. :oops:

Ask yourself when you buy it, 'Why do I want this? Am I buying this to impress other people? Or so that people won't think less of me?" You have to be honest with yourself, too. Honest appearel can mean anything. If you can't look in the mirror, and say you're ABSOLUTELY not wearing it because you think people will think you 'look good', then you're wearing it for the wrong reasons...

See, it's not what we wear, but WHY we wear it. Thing is, most things have pride and vanity written all over it. When you see people keeping up with the style, it's because they're dressing to meet people's approval. It's not about that. You shouldn't dress to meet people's approval. As a Christian, you dress, 'cause it's appropriate to cover yourself up, AND keep yourself warm. That's what clothing is for.

BE NOT CONFORMED TO THIS WORLD!!

If you can't walk out the house without name-brand stuff on, then you're obviously to caught up in the world's way of thinking. If you can't walk out the house without make up on. Then you need ask God to deliver you from the need to wear that. So on and so forth.

Yes, we are apart of this world, and we've taken on the world's way of thinking. The idea is, to be ye seperate. It's not about the clothing, until we consciously MAKE IT ABOUT THE CLOTHING.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up